Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine swap and emissions/MOT
Boothy

posted on 25/11/17 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Engine swap and emissions/MOT

If you have a car with a rover k series 1.4 which is currently all road legal IVA'D etc and you want to swap the engine for a Zetec is it a simple matter of informing the DVLA who will issue new logbook with emission levels etc for that engine ? or is there more to it or more complicated, suspect it is
gremlin1234

posted on 25/11/17 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
you say its been though iva, is it on a Q plate?, which would then just have visible emissions test.

edit:
though otherwise the mot testers manual states
Vehicles fitted with a different engine must be tested to the requirements of whichever is older, the engine or the vehicle. e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes. Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter to prove engine age.

[Edited on 25/11/17 by gremlin1234]

SJ

posted on 25/11/17 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing changes on emissions if the car is registered. The DVLA will change the logbook and taxation class if appropriate.

Stu

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 25/11/17 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn’t be a major issue change of capacity on the logbook they may want a report from a garage that it’s been installed correctly . Taxation class maybe different as bigger capacity

[Edited on 25/11/17 by ian locostzx9rc2]

Boothy

posted on 25/11/17 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
It is on an age related plate and the logbook has Fisher Fury on it with 1.4 cc as capacity
obfripper

posted on 25/11/17 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
A pre sva (registered before 31/08/1998) kit requires a visual check as per q plate.
Sva and iva'd cars should have a limit on the v5 in the additional information section - this does not matter if it is also on a q plate.
If the v5 is correctly completed by the dvla you'll have no problems as the emissions limits will remain the same.

If it has been incorrectly completed by the dvla, there will be no given emissions limit and a (post sva/iva) date of reg indicates a full cat test.
As above the mot emissions is applied by the older of the engine and the vehicle - with a 2005 engine in a 2000 car it will be a full cat test.
However if you have a copy of your mac certificate, the type code last digit will tell you what should be printed on your v5.

A Visual test only;
B Emission limit 4.5% CO, HC 1200ppm;
C Emission limit 3.5%, CO, HC 1200ppm;
D Emission limit 0.5% CO, Fast idle 0.3% CO, 200ppm HC; Lambda 0.97 1.03;
E Emissions limit as per DOT current In Service Emissions Standards book;
F Emissions limit Diesel 2.5m-1;
G Emissions limit Turbo Diesel 3.0m-1

Your mot tester should accept this as proof of correct emissions limits (i have for several vehicles) , and with a well worded letter to the dvla they may correct the v5 details.(or loose it or send it back unchanged as they see fit!)

Dave

[Edited on 25/11/17 by obfripper]

matty h

posted on 25/11/17 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said dvla may want some proof that the engine is fitted.
Out of interest why are you not just putting a larger k series engine in the later 1.8vvc engine is 160bhp with a z and f tuning (k maps) remap around 175bhp.

Boothy

posted on 25/11/17 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
tbh have heard mixed reports about the k series engines, it is a car i am looking at buying and just weighing up pros & cons, have just been reading about tuning the k series and does look quite costly.

Although if can find more about the 1800 cc unit might be an option as looks like an easier swap

mackei23b

posted on 25/11/17 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
As said, VVC with 160hp is a quick and cheap upgrade.....all depends on how much power you want....

My current K series makes around 230hp, but it did start life as a VHPD engine before being ported and larger valves inserted by Dave Andrews along with 1444 cams..

Cheers

Ian

snapper

posted on 26/11/17 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
On your log book
Front page section 3 (special notes) note 2 will show the rested emissions limit, no matter what engine you fit this is your emissions limit requirement for that vehicle
On my second kit car which is on a Q plate it does not show the emissions limit so the post above showing emissions for mot would guide the tester

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.