Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tool lending book
Matt21

posted on 6/12/17 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Tool lending book

Hi,

Me and my brothers are always borrowing tools off my dad and it ends up with him losing track of where things are. He's been joking for a while about making a chart to keep track of things.

So I'm wanting to get one for him for christmas.

I thought it'd be fairly simple to find something that would work, but I was wrong!
I'm thinking like a old style hard backed book with tables on all the pages to write in what the tool is, whos got it, when they took it, when it was returned etc...

Can anyone point me in the direction of something like this?!

My other thought was make a photo album with a spreadsheet table as the photo on every page. But I'm not sure what itd be like for writing on?

Thanks!

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

rusty nuts

posted on 6/12/17 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
Diary works for me
nick205

posted on 7/12/17 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
One of my brother in laws was becoming too keen on borrowing (and keeping) my tools. To the point where if I couldn't find one I turned to him to retrieve it. I had similar ideas, but ended up telling him (politely) to get his own (or saying "No I haven't got one".

That aside, I 'd have thought a diary or calendar would work for your Dad. Simply write the name of the tool and borrower on the day lent. Then he has a list of where things are. Fill in the day returned and he'll know when things are back.

[Edited on 7/12/17 by nick205]

posted on 7/12/17 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Why not buy him a combination padlock?

You can get them that have a re-settable combination so that he could set it himself.

Paul G

ash_hammond

posted on 7/12/17 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'm started to take the approach of a don't lend tools. I have the following mentality:

1. If you own a house / car you should own a basic tool kit. Drill, Screwdriver, hammer, sockets and spanners etc.
2. I buy decent tools so they last. I won't lend out my Makita 18v tools. If it is a decent family member or mate, I would rather go around and help them and bring the tool home with me.
3. Power tools are designed to take a reasonable amount of stick IE SDS drill. If any tools break because of too much stick, I want to be the one to do it if it is my tool.
4. Small tools such as socket never come back, they are lost and they are "only" £5 to replace so people don't respect them. I must have spend over £30 replacing my Halfords pro sockets that people have borrowed. Plus you always find they are missing at stupid o'clock when a replacement is not easily sourced or takes too much time.

I've been doing a lot of DIY around my house and I know my tools are scattered a few rooms. Once I finally tidy up and put everything back in it place. Missing items will be replaced for the final time. At this point I'm not lending tools unless it is in extreme circumstances or I 100% trust that person. At that point it will be documented and a price of that tool listed and told to that person. I will set a week reminder in my phone to them tell them to return it or replace it.

Small A5 lined book, split into columns.

Name, Date Out, Date In, Value to Replace.

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

loggyboy

posted on 7/12/17 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Something like this, could be titled and completely custom

http://www.dadbookbinders.com/visitors-books/

Mistral Motorsport

Matt21

posted on 7/12/17 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I want him to keep lending tools not lock them away from me! haha

Loggyboy - that looks like what I had in mind! I'll give them a shout.

Any others?

Instagram: @matt211988

Photobucket

My YouTube

trextr7monkey

posted on 7/12/17 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe a bit of a tangent but we had a kid at school who made a database of all tools in the DT workshops including photos and costs, PAT test dates etc
A real work of OCD which sadly was never used or updated but could be up dated to include a loan system, just depends how faryou wan to go withthis notion
atb
mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

posted on 7/12/17 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt21

I want him to keep lending tools not lock them away from me! haha

Are you sure that you don't want HIM to keep tabs on his tools so that YOU know where to find them ?

rusty nuts

posted on 7/12/17 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ive lost count of the money it's cost me by lending tools that never come back even when borrowed by workmates in the same workshop. I've even had rows with customers because I've asked for a deposit to cover the cost. I've had a brand new folding engine crane destroyed by the guy who borrowed it, he was using it to pull concrete fence posts out
jacko

posted on 8/12/17 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Once saw a sign on a work shop door saying

The man that lends tools out is OUT

Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/12/17 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Along with the one that says" The guy that did cheap job has gone bankrupt"
stevebubs

posted on 8/12/17 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
Double entry cashbook?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=%2bbczrcxj&id=68C87A48A52B3944815E1E5E0FDCDF5AE348A69C&thid=OIP.-bczrcxjzaaZYu7a3rVK cAEsEs&q=double+entry+cashbook+collins&simid=608016029318057109&selectedIndex=3&ajaxhist=0

steve m

posted on 10/12/17 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
I have a white board in the garage that I write down known car defects for rectifying, and wipe off when done
it also has at the bottom three comments

Steve has my wheel trackers
John c has my spring compressors
Michelle has my drill

There cant be a much simpler way than a white board, pen, damp cloth ?

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mike Wood

posted on 10/12/17 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Matt

I would go on tool shopping trips with the people you lend to, showing them what is available and costs in £ and time to locate good tools. New and secondhand. If they are not prepared to participate in the above, then they are not worth your time or tools (and should pay someone else to fix things)

Get them to build up their own tool box up - with careful device on what to buy including which tools and what quality. I.e. Keep away from huge sets of tools made of chocolate, but a selection of key tools related to what they fix, making sure the tools are of good quality. And they know how to look after them. Also show them how to pick and use a tool for a job (as well as buying) and how to use them effectively. Buy them some Plus gas and explain how to use penetrating oil and waiting, and how WD40 is less effective in shifting rusty bolts as is a water dispersant rather than a penetrating oil.

If family members buy them some good quality key basic tools for birthdays and Christmas. This was how my elder brother got me going in fixing cars and DIY, and stopping using his tools. I still have and use the basic socket set and screwdrivers he bought me in the 1980s (which I have added to since) - thanks Tone!

Buying and keeping tools is bit like like books or CDs - good quality, buy when needed and can be afforded, when you see them and look after them.

I had a problem about 10 years ago getting back into fixing old British cars after a 20 year break - most of my good AF spanners and special tools were long gone (never returned), meanwhile independent tool shops and motor factors were fewer than before and less British tools available.

Final thought - have a basic set of tools in box for loan, or nailed to the garage wall with outlines- and only lend these out (and be prepared to replace them regularly) but do not lend your main reserve collection which is just for your own use.

Cheers
Mike

[Edited on 10/12/17 by Mike Wood]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.