Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Original Ron champion build
aperks

posted on 17/1/18 at 01:23 AM Reply With Quote
Original Ron champion build

Hi there,

My friend and I are keen to get involved in the Locost scene but are just starting out, no proper racing or car build experience, but are keen as mustard.

Our end goal is to build (from scratch) and get to the point that we could ideally race the car rather than make it road legal.

We had been expecting to go the 750 club route by building the original Ron Champion book build. We've got a few doubts crept in now though regarding the chances of us getting a suitable donor car / parts these days (we dont have a donor or any parts lined up yet, we've just started out on the chassis literally this weekend so it's not too late!).

We have since come across the Keith Tanner approach which sounds like we build the Ron Champion chassis, and then use an MX5 as the donor, which sounds much more realistic to be an easier job in finiding a donor to build the car from, but then looking at the 750 club rules we wouldn't be able to race the car as it wouldn't be to the books spec.

So... with that in mind, we were wondering if any members could help us understand:

1) What do you think are our chances of finding suitable donor cars these days (we are based around the Leicestershire area in case it helps!)?

2) What do you think of our chances of building from scratch and getting it race legal - have any of you managed to do it? (only skimmed the 750 club regulations so far and looks comprehensive!)

3) If we went the Keith Tanner route instead due to the above, is there some kind of race series / club that you are aware of similar to the 750 in concept that we could compete in instead based on that spec build ?

Many thanks for any advice members can offer!

Andy

ste

posted on 17/1/18 at 05:31 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the haynes roadster instead as it is sierra based and there are instructions on how to modify the chassis for an mx5 which is the easiest donor to find.
voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 17/1/18 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ste
Have a look at the haynes roadster instead as it is sierra based and there are instructions on how to modify the chassis for an mx5 which is the easiest donor to find.

+1!!! And even though it looks like no one can register anymore, visit and read the build threads on the Haynes Forum/ You'll find a lot of useful informations and for sure, some inspiration as well

Good luck with the build!

pat d

posted on 17/1/18 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
If you want to build a car to race then check out the 750 mc,s sports specials class b rules. I have heard there are people building 1800 mazda engined locosts to race this season. Pop along to a race,talk to people and see if its for you.
ianhurley20

posted on 17/1/18 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by voucht
quote:
Originally posted by ste

+1!!! And even though it looks like no one can register anymore, visit and read the build threads on the Haynes Forum/ You'll find a lot of useful informations and for sure, some inspiration as well

Good luck with the build!

I agree with Sylvain but a registration happened a few days ago so perhaps the registration process is working again!
My Haynes Roadster (Chris Gibbs/ Martin Keenan version) is a Sierra MX5 hybrid but if it was built again it would be totally MX5 based

johnnybizzle1986

posted on 17/1/18 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I am currently building a race car to enter into the magnificent sevens series, plenty of different classes in 2 groups depending on horesepower per tonne

as above I would look at the haynes roadster (I have one with ford running gear, st170 engine and mazda rx8 gearbox) mx5 running gear cheap and easily available.

regards

PorkChop

posted on 18/1/18 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pat d
If you want to build a car to race then check out the 750 mc,s sports specials class b rules. I have heard there are people building 1800 mazda engined locosts to race this season. Pop along to a race,talk to people and see if its for you.

For Class B?

If they are pre 2005 engines, they shouldn't be able to as the 1800 is actually 1840cc (thus prohibited under the 2017 regs, the 2018 ones don't seem to be available yet). If they're mark 3 MZR 1800s, different story.

OP, if your heart is set on racing in Locost, you may as well tootle down to Brum and have a word with Matt and Ivan at Procomp.

Otherwise the three other championships I can think of would be Mag 7s, 750MC Sports Specials (both already mentioned) or the BARC Sports / Saloon championship.

loggyboy

posted on 18/1/18 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need a donor, just parts. There are loads of replacement parts out there, and engine/transmission/drive train can come from many-a-ford sources, the 750 locost blowup/crash often enough to need spares so cant be too hard if their keeping 30+ cars a year running.

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.