Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pipercross filter selection
Rickta

posted on 25/1/18 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Pipercross filter selection

Hi all,

My Ford 1600 EFI project is starting to come together, but I'm running into some unexpected real estate problems.

The fuel rail wanted to strike the Sprite's engine bay's bodywork so it has gone back to get cut back to minimum length with may give me enough clearance or I'll have to do a little bit of panel work.

I wanted to fit a domed PX600 filter in, I plan on getting some 70mm trumpets spun up, I need 50mm of clearance from the throttle bodies to the PX600 back plate to allow for my throttle cable exit.

I should have 20mm of trumpet sitting in the airbox, a 55mm boxed filter will fit giving me 20mm clearance on the trumpet ends.

A domed 90mm filter has clearance at the centre but is likely to press against my brake lines and pedal box surround, it will give 45mm max trumpet clearance at the highest point.

Any suggestions on which filter would be better for my application?

I'm planning on mounting the filter back to the manifold using tube spacers, any tips on sealing/mounting my spun up trumpets.

Cheers,
Rick

Ford 1600 EFI
Ford 1600 EFI

[Edited on 25/1/18 by Rickta]

mcerd1

posted on 25/1/18 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
have you looked at any of the other makes ?
e.g. ITG make a much bigger range of sizes that could give you some other options...

tech spec for the mid length ITG JC40 ones (about right for most twin carb setups) - these are a little shorter than the PX600
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/files/transfer/technical/doc/jc40_specification_sheet.pdf

-

martin500

posted on 25/1/18 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
How about a piper cross cold air box kit here

not too deep and can be fed cold air.

I might just have a brand new unused one for sale!

Martin

cliftyhanger

posted on 25/1/18 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I made a K+N filter as I had similar issues, ST170 in my spitfire.
I worked out the "length" of filter needed, and also the depth. Found a round element that suited and bought (about £30)
The front and rear plates were made from 0.8mm ali, and I folded a small lip just top and bottom to retain the element. Holes cut with a holesaw.

The advantage is you gain 30mm as it has a flat face, and still flows loads ofair. My filter was rated at 600bhp IIRC, over 3x what my engine makes.

I used trumpets inside, like you looking for a long inlet length.

Rickta

posted on 26/1/18 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks everybody, very helpful replies all round.

I'll do a little more measuring but an oval K&N option is looking promising.

Cheers,
Rick

Rickta

posted on 27/1/18 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I looked at ITG and K&N, took some more measurements and I have ordered a PX600 box filter which will just fit and will give me 35mm over my stacks.

Thanks for your help.

Rick

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.