Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coolant sensor out of range. Emerald K3
furryeggs

posted on 30/1/18 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Coolant sensor out of range. Emerald K3

When I’m on th live adjustments page in my map the coolant sensor reading is now red and reading 80. I’ve emailed Emerald and Karl replied that the red reading means there’s a fault with the wiring to the sensor ( a short or broken wire etc). I have tested the sensor in situe and it reads 60kohm, i th n plugged it back in and tested across the pins on the ecu plug (30-33) and got the same 60kohm reading. So from those readings there’s no fault in the wiring. I’ve tried a 2nd sensor and got the same readings (all be it slightly different k ohms, 67).

Looking at it this morning the live adjustment screen is now reading <-30 skipping back to 80 on and off. I’ve managed to find Ford resistance values for the sensor and scalled the ecu to them and it now sits at red 80. I’m pretty sure it’s something in the map, unless there’s a fualt with the ECU.

Any idea’s? I’m waiting for a reply from emerald to see what they advise,

I’m sure it’ll be a fairly straight forward fix but it’s anoying me as nothing has changed from it running and driving on tuesday to not starting on thursday...

mackei23b

posted on 30/1/18 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
It looks like the ECU is still seeing a change in resistance, I'd look towards a bad contact with the pins at the ECU plug or the sensor, I still would not rule out a cracked wire, more likely to be at the sensor end where most of the vibration is.

I'd be tempted to make up some new wires from the ECU to the sensor...

Cheers

Ian

rusty nuts

posted on 30/1/18 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
When I installed the Emerald ECU to my car I wired everything myself but one thing I remember is the very small terminals in the ECU multi plug which I suspect could be very easily damaged when being crimped to the wires especially if using incorrect crimping pliers. I would check the resistance of each wire individually from ECU multi plug and sensor connection .
furryeggs

posted on 30/1/18 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
SORTED... I’ve been through the wiring and double checked everything and it’s all ok.

It turns out that overnight my ecu decided it didn't like my temp sensor and threw a wobbly. It’s been running and driving in and out of the garage for 18 months with no issues.
Emerald have emailed back, Karl at emerald (top chap) explained they swap the ford sensor for a bosch one as the ford has a totally different temp curve. With the new settings in it’s all back to normal.

Thanks for the help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.