Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec help needed nr Melton Mowbray
furryeggs

posted on 31/1/18 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec help needed nr Melton Mowbray

Are there any engine/emerald guru’s near Melton Mowbray who could come and help?.

My 2.0 zetec has decided that it won’t run... I have spark at the plugs, fuel at the rail. The ECU is seeing the crank signal and as far as i can see nothing has changed in the map, other than the coolant sensor resistance settings. I can see the TB connector hoses sucking so I’m sure I have compression on all cylinders .
I have a new bosch fixed 3bar FPR fitted and fuel returning to the tank so I’m sure thats plumbed in the right way. The only thing I haven’t changed is the fuel pump, but that seems to be fine other than sounding a little airy as it circulates the fuel. Pinch the fuel line and you can hear the pumps note change with the pressure increase.

It ran fine a week ago before my FPR and coolant issues but they are now sorted? but it still won’t fire.
I’m meant to be sending IVA paper work of this week but don’t want to if my engine’s a deaden.

ttalps2000

posted on 31/1/18 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I have known others who have had issues if the ECU see's a coolant temp that it doesn't like and will refuse to run. Put the coolant sensor in some hot water and then try it again perhaps, tricking the ECU. Make sure you have 12v+ when cranking
furryeggs

posted on 31/1/18 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
I have known others who have had issues if the ECU see's a coolant temp that it doesn't like and will refuse to run. Put the coolant sensor in some hot water and then try it again perhaps, tricking the ECU. Make sure you have 12v+ when cranking

I’ll give it a go later. The air temp and coolant temp are both reading 6 degrees.

furryeggs

posted on 31/1/18 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve tried tricking the coolant sensor to roughly 25degrees and still nothing. I checked it with a thermometer and the ecu see’s the correct temp.
jeffw

posted on 31/1/18 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
What does your fuel pressure gauge say?

furryeggs

posted on 31/1/18 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
The older FPR wouldn’t adjust below about 3.5 - 4 bar the new FPR is at 3 bar.
chris

posted on 31/1/18 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
are the plugs wet after after cranking
rusty nuts

posted on 31/1/18 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Try connecting your original coolant temperature sensor, doesn't need to be in coolant to try it. You may need to program the new sensor range into the map?
furryeggs

posted on 31/1/18 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris
are the plugs wet after after cranking

I stripped the plugs out last week when it first started playing up, they were a bit black and slighty damp then. I checked the gaps and cleaned them off then and haven’t checked them again. I’ll pop one out and check later...

Daf

posted on 31/1/18 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Everything you say points to something having broken, i.e. worked before now it doesn't. Out of interest I've just tried my car (Emerald ECU) with the coolant sensor disconnected and it started fine.

From what it sounds like the fuel side is okay, presumably the light on the back of the ECU goes green when cranking? Do you have good charge in the battery - ECU doesn't like a low voltage.

Have you got a spare set of plugs, leads and coil pack to try on it?

If Iwasn't 3 hours away I'd be there this evening!

furryeggs

posted on 31/1/18 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Ecu voltage is good, cranking voltage is about 9.6v. Tried with the sensor in and out, same outcome with both.
Coolant settings have been programmed in the map correctly from karl at emerald. Green light in cranking red when not.
The only thing I can think of is perhaps I’ve lost the 12v at the injectors.

Daf

posted on 31/1/18 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Can you take the manifold off and crank it to see if they spray fuel? Obviously take the precautions so you don't make a fire!
furryeggs

posted on 31/1/18 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve just ha 20 minutes in the garage checking.

1: I have 12v at the injectors, dropped to about 10v on cranking.
2: checked the chassis earth connection and tightened.
3: checked coil pack plug
4: Pulled the ecu plug and checked pins. Inj pin 24 slightly loose.
5: checked plugs (dry)
6: Loaded last known running map
7: battery fully charged, cranking at 9.7v
8: checked and tightened battery connections (new bigger battery leads to be fitted tomorrow)

I now have a splutter and an attempt at starting, so I’m getting closer.

Oddified

posted on 31/1/18 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Cranking speed reasonable?.

Ian

furryeggs

posted on 31/1/18 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Oddified
Cranking speed reasonable?.

Ian

Its about 200 rpm, tries to fire and goes to 450-500 then stalls out.

ReMan

posted on 31/1/18 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like no fuel, get the easystart out

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

furryeggs

posted on 1/2/18 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
Been in the garage trying to get this sorted out.

1, double checked FPR. Good pressure at the rail.
2, injectors have 12v with ignition on. these deop to 9v when cranking???
3, used jump cables between battery+ and starter and - and chassis, cranking speed is alot better.
Still nothing

This is getting annoying.

Daf

posted on 1/2/18 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Is the ECU earth a good healthy one? Are the injectors earthed through the ECU? Can you hold throttle butterflies open to see if injectors are squinting when cranking? My battery voltage is about 11.9v when cranking if you belive my dash. Can you put some jump leads on just to help it? Have you got a map switch wired in to the ECU and if so has it been changed?

You say it's "getting" annoying - it's annoyed me already and it isn't even my car

furryeggs

posted on 1/2/18 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
-Map switch is disabled
-earths are good I’ll check the pin outs on the ecu plug again.
-i'll check the injector firing later when the father in law comes round.

Daf

posted on 1/2/18 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Check your TPS limits are set up correctly too, wouldn't hurt to reconfigure this if you've been playing around with maps - it might have gone wrong and be thinking it's WOT when it's actually not or vice versa!
furryeggs

posted on 1/2/18 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
TPS is ok and checked/reset... I’m going to try running a good seperate earth from the ecu (pin 29) i think, to the battery -

if that works i’ll have to strip all the wiring back to find the fault.

Daf

posted on 1/2/18 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a look in the emerald manual and it says low voltage when cranking can make it difficult to start 9-10v is normal though. Where are you measuring this, is it on the live emerald screen or somewhere else? Just thinking if you're measuring it somewhere else but the ECU for some reason has a lower voltage you could have a problem.
furryeggs

posted on 1/2/18 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Measured from the map screen, Meter on the injector loom pins and from my volt gauge. They all read the same, 12v give or take, when it ran my gauge and the screen read 13v ish. I’m pretty sure the 12v supply is ok across everything. I do have a few earths all terminating at the same point so i might split them up onto another earth point to be sure they are all properly grounded.
James24785

posted on 1/2/18 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Timing hasn't slipped has it?
Massive stab in the dark, but you seem to of covered most avenues

furryeggs

posted on 1/2/18 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
So, the leason for this week is just because you can see it, doesn’t mean its working...

IT ALIVE... Yey

The short story is, NGK platinum tip spark plugs are SHITE...
The slightly longer story is even though the test lights were flashing for each spark, the plugs weren’t actually sparking.
I removed all 4 and tested them out of the engine, earthed to the battery, I left the test light attached so i knew the coil was firing and nothing from any of the plugs. They were smouldering little puffs of hamster fart... So it seems i actually had 3 issues all materialise at the same time. A faulty FPR, a suspect coolant sensor and settings, and then an increasingly failing spark...

Seeing as The car has driven 1/4mile under it’s own steam and ran for no more that 20minutes in 18 months, they haven’t lasted long.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.