Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Morrisons fuel
redscamp

posted on 2/2/18 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Morrisons fuel

bought a new to me 2004 Berlingo diesel HDi van.
Hand book - fuel tank 60 liters
first fill - fuel light on to full 48.97 liters (Morrisons Dundee).
second fill - gauge quite low (no fuel light) to full 56.37 liters (Morrisons Aberdeen pump 3).
I owned a Berlingo 1.9 diesel before (60 liter tank) where the bigest fill was 45ish liters.
Ok it's possable to put 56.37 liters into a 60 liter tank, but really?
How trustworthy is a Morrisons fuel pump?

slingshot2000

posted on 2/2/18 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I would imagine that they get at least an annual surprise visit from Trading Standards, who will check the accuracy of the pump deliveries very carefully, I know when we owned a filling station we never knew when they would turn up. The pumps must deliver amounts of fuel to within very fine limits, less than 1%, I seem to remember.

They even check the accuracy of our public use tyre inflation machine.

shindha

posted on 2/2/18 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
Worked at a petrol station about 35 years ago if memory serves me right I think they are calibrated and sealed units so chances of tampering very minimal. Like all things mechanical it doesn't mean they cant develop faults, an easy way of checking would be to get a small 5 litre jerry can and see how much you get for your "5" litres if you see what I mean.

[Edited on 2/2/18 by shindha]

CosKev3

posted on 2/2/18 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
LOL its more likely to be the French electrics in the van than the pump at the garage!!!!!!
joneh

posted on 2/2/18 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I got 60 litres into a VW Polo with a 40 odd litre tank once.

Shell claimed that some of the capacity doesn't account for the filler pipe - I called bullshit and phoned trading standards. They measured everything and found no fault - but without admitting liability, Shell gave me my money back (after several months of arguing).

Either - The pump was "maintained" between my complaint and trading standards visiting, the tank was near empty and the pump was measuring air or I paid for a bike or something before me and the pump wasn't reset.

Choose one of the above that best fits what happened to you!

loggyboy

posted on 2/2/18 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
As mentioned, more likely the fuel light is in accurate, or less likely the sensitivity of the pumps, meaning what clicked as 'full' wasn't actually full.

[Edited on 2-2-18 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

CosKev3

posted on 2/2/18 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh

Shell claimed that some of the capacity doesn't account for the filler pipe - I called bullshit and phoned trading standards. They measured everything and found no fault - but without admitting liability, Shell gave me my money back (after several months of arguing).

Either - The pump was "maintained" between my complaint and trading standards visiting, the tank was near empty and the pump was measuring air or I paid for a bike or something before me and the pump wasn't reset.

They were correct,in a way

I've had a Fabia VRS,you can massively over fill them as they have a large expansion chamber,which isn't taken into account by the stated capacity,or by the fuel gauge ; )

If you fill it fully by venting the expansion chamber you can do at least 200 miles before the fuel gauge moves off full,you can get circa £15 worth of fuel in the chamber at least.

So well done on getting a free fill up!!!!!

joneh

posted on 2/2/18 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

They were correct,in a way

I've had a Fabia VRS,you can massively over fill them as they have a large expansion chamber,which isn't taken into account by the stated capacity,or by the fuel gauge ; )

If you fill it fully by venting the expansion chamber you can do at least 200 miles before the fuel gauge moves off full,you can get circa £15 worth of fuel in the chamber at least.

So well done on getting a free fill up!!!!!

Must have been magic petrol then as I didn't get any extra miles out of it!

[Edited on 2/2/18 by joneh]

coyoteboy

posted on 2/2/18 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
I regularly put 73 litres in a 70 litre tank on my 'yota.

I have, more often than not, put near enough exactly the tank cap in on refils on other cars. They have reserve capacity.

SteveWalker

posted on 2/2/18 at 06:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I had a guy arrive at a pump and fill a can just as I pulled up. He walked off towards the shop and I filled my car. When I got to the counter, they told me how much and I just told them that that wasn't right, they'd been robbed and only the second delivery was mine. They charged me for the second delivery only. I presume that they checked the CCTV later to see if they could identify the guy.

rusty nuts

posted on 2/2/18 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Many years ago I filled my car putting in several gallons, when I went to pay the cashier charged me for a couple of gallons despite me telling him it was wrong. From that
experience it's obvious that pumps can go wrong.

scudderfish

posted on 2/2/18 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Are you Smokey Yunick?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.