Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: top speed issues (landrover) - Solved
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/2/18 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
top speed issues (landrover) - Solved

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has some idea's. My old series landy is behaving badly when pushed on the main roads. As I get near it's flat out speed of 55mph it starts lurching back and forwards followed by several very loud back fires (scared the life out a passing freelander), even at lower speeds the engine seems to be hunting and not running at a constant rpm, I can feel and hear it in the gearbox whine.

It's got the usual half baked webber single choke carb which I took completely apart from the emulsion tube which I can't get to come out, all the other jets where clean. I tried banging it upsides down of the work top but it wouldn't budge, any idea's on how to get that jet out????

The ignition is electronic and I think is fine as I had the strobe on it and it ran very well when it went back on the road. I've got quite a few hills around me and it's really getting annoying........

Cheers, in advance

[Edited on 5/2/18 by Mr Whippy]

[Edited on 6/2/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 5/2/18 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
have you checked the springs on the multi-link accelerator contraption,... I know that without one of the springs it flops about and might cause the issues you mention,..

HTH

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/2/18 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
yeah good call but I've check that all for backlash and its all tight. I'm not moving my foot as it's hard on the floor...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 5/2/18 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
mine was exactly the same - foot to the floor - 50mph on the flat and 71 down hill, not that it was possible to read the wildly gesticulating speedo!

one other area might be rear oil seal leaking oil onto the clutch, but that would smell nice too

good luck - keep us updated

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

cliftyhanger

posted on 5/2/18 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Is the timing advancing up correctly? My Toledo (Triumph) with TR7 engine had a knackered dizzy that only worked on vac advance. The extra 16 degrees it now has is working miracles!
Mr Whippy

posted on 5/2/18 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
Is the timing advancing up correctly? My Toledo (Triumph) with TR7 engine had a knackered dizzy that only worked on vac advance. The extra 16 degrees it now has is working miracles!

brand new electronic sensor one. The vacuum advance seems to make a huge difference to the strobe set timing even at low idle when I reconnect the vacuum hose, not 100% sure its the right curve but seem no way to adjust it. Like I say it was running very well and nothing looks wrong with the distributer

Agriv8

posted on 5/2/18 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Whippy bit more info

How long has it been doing it ? contaminated fuel ?
Is it only ever in top gear does it do the same at full chat in any gear ?

Rust & Crap in tank blocking up pickup.

inlet valve not seating ? all spark plugs similar colour brown deposits !!

Coil breaking down not giving enough oomph so spark plugs are being blown out at full chat.

strange one Ignition electrics ( coil feed ) clean contact and not earthing somewhere out blew a back box up an a 2a LWB once.

ATB Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Dingz

posted on 5/2/18 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I used a small ezeeout (stud remover thing) to get one out in the past.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

perksy

posted on 5/2/18 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the carb with the air filter off to make sure that you are really getting full throttle ?

Fuel pressure ok ?

[Edited on 5/2/18 by perksy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/2/18 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
ok its all sorted now and running perfectly

Took the carb apart again, got the emulsion tube out with some help from a blow torch but it was clean. Checked the timing again with the strobe and it is rock solid stable exactly on the mark.

Only thing left was the fuel filter between the pump and the carb. It was one of those clear plastic ones you can see the orange filter inside, it's only a couple of months old, however when I tried blowing through it, it was very hard, was just fine when bought and seemed the right size. However I think it's quickly choked up with fine sediment from the tank and the cheap paper element couldn't cope so was starving the engine of fuel.

I just happened to have a newer style large modern metal can filter which was quickly swapped out and immediately it seemed to have 20bhp more, got up to the fastest top speed ever in it and even had to slow down for the speed cameras! Running as sweet as can be now just in time for playing in the snow outside

Oh well, there's a reminder to check the obvious things first before pulling stuff apart....

Thanks for the help

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.