Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA preperation pictures...
furryeggs

posted on 22/3/18 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
I'm not sure what the IVA inspector will think about the brake hoses cable tied to the wishbone, they won't see this as a permeant fixing and may have an issue with it? Don't quote me this is just my suspicion .

I’ve read on here on more than 1 thread saying it’s what they’ve done and passed. I have plenty of hose to cut and wrap it were it might rub?

Daf

posted on 22/3/18 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
I'm not sure what the IVA inspector will think about the brake hoses cable tied to the wishbone, they won't see this as a permeant fixing and may have an issue with it? Don't quote me this is just my suspicion .

I’ve read on here on more than 1 thread saying it’s what they’ve done and passed. I have plenty of hose to cut and wrap it were it might rub?

I stand corrected then - see you in Stonleigh, fingers crossed!

furryeggs

posted on 22/3/18 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Daf

I stand corrected then - see you in Stonleigh, fingers crossed!

It’s all getting confusing, some say put pigtails in the brake line, others say that fails. Others say cable tie it to the wishbones but others say don’t. Shouldn’t IVA be more concerned about having an exposed flexi flapping around in the 80mph wind and potentially getting snagged on something and riped off.

Daf

posted on 22/3/18 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
You could ring the IVA centre or pop in and ask an inspector?
zx12r dug

posted on 22/3/18 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi my tester asked me remove all my nut covers I wasn't happy but I guess they have to check you've left sufficient threads through
furryeggs

posted on 22/3/18 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zx12r dug
Hi my tester asked me remove all my nut covers I wasn't happy but I guess they have to check you've left sufficient threads through

how many threads was he expecting? I have 1 or 2 where the bolt is just passed the nyloc... I have quite fat nuts It’s either remove a washer or get a few new nuts.

Daf

posted on 22/3/18 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by zx12r dug

how many threads was he expecting? I have 1 or 2 where the bolt is just passed the nyloc... I have quite fat nuts It’s either remove a washer or get a few new nuts. [/quote

Should be fine so long as they're not right on the edge, couple of turns was ample on my test.]

Daf

posted on 22/3/18 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Just noticed you have an OBP pedal box, one of my fails was on the nyloc on the brake pedal pivot bolt not having enough of the thread through - looks like yours is the same.

You can't get a longer bolt in because the throttle pedal mount is in the way. I used a length of threaded bar, removed the throttle pedal completely and threaded it through the throttle pivot mount and slid it back into the brake pedal pivot and put a nyloc each side.

nelmo

posted on 22/3/18 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It’s all getting confusing, some say put pigtails in the brake line, others say that fails. Others say cable tie it to the wishbones but others say don’t. Shouldn’t IVA be more concerned about having an exposed flexi flapping around in the 80mph wind and potentially getting snagged on something and riped off.

The problem is that the IVA manual is not very explicit and so one tester will take it to mean one thing, another one will see it a different way. We can only tell you of our experiences at the test centre we went to.

Maybe tell us where you are going for IVA and see if anyone has been there recently and can tell you what the tester was like?

Build Blog

furryeggs

posted on 23/3/18 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nelmo
quote:

Maybe tell us where you are going for IVA and see if anyone has been there recently and can tell you what the tester was like?

It’s at Nottingham.

nelmo

posted on 23/3/18 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

It’s at Nottingham.

Is that where GBS take cars for customers? If so, they are really used to kits and know what to look for which is good or bad, depending on your attitude. Good because if you pass there, you know your car has been well checked - bad, because it will be more difficult to pass.

My test was at Yeading near Heathrow - I don't think they had ever seen a kit car before and didn't seem to do half the checks I expected.

Build Blog

Daf

posted on 23/3/18 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not too sure how relevant it is when it comes to individual test stations, when talking to my examiner he said they move around the different stations as he was complaining about his hour and a half journey in to work! Presumably this is only relevant to those stations that are in close-ish proximity though?

Just taken a picture of what I did for my brake pivot - picture may be better than the description I gave previously!

[Edited on 23/3/18 by Daf]

furryeggs

posted on 24/3/18 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daf
Just noticed you have an OBP pedal box, one of my fails was on the nyloc on the brake pedal pivot bolt not having enough of the thread through - looks like yours is the same.

You can't get a longer bolt in because the throttle pedal mount is in the way. I used a length of threaded bar, removed the throttle pedal completely and threaded it through the throttle pivot mount and slid it back into the brake pedal pivot and put a nyloc each side.

It’s only an OBP accelerator. I do need a new bolt for the brake peddle though which is luckily a quick fix.

I have been rolling around the garage floor sorting out ride hieght and bits. The tanks full and with several bags of sand I’ve got it as close to level as possible 5” at the rear and 4.5” at the front. I might have to tweek these a little as I have just about 70mm between the sump and road.

I’ve checked threads as well, on both bottom front whishbones The bolt just pokes its head through the nyloc. So it looks like the washers are coming off the bolt side, this should give me almost 2 threads showing.

I’ve also driven/measured a mile from the drive way. I need 2 miles to calibrate my speedo so I’m off on an early morning stealth mission there and back tomorrow to get that done.

nelmo

posted on 25/3/18 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
There are no requirements for ride height at IVA and GBS always advised to just put it as high as possible so you don't hit the bottom of the car as you drive on and off the ramps at the test. Also, during the brake test, they drop the wheels into rollers and if you're too low, you may find that tricky without hitting bodywork. When testing my front brakes, you could just about get a Rizla between the floor and the bottom of my nosecone

Build Blog

furryeggs

posted on 25/3/18 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
So, after a slightly windy 2 mile drive to set the speedo, it seems to be working... ish at slow speed it reads ok to 10 mph and on smooth sections of road it seems ok, if it gets bumpy the speedo jumps. I think my pick up isn’t always reading the bolt heads do i need to get it adjusted and re calibrated.

I spent an hour or so re bleeding the brakes and they also need looking at as they still seem a little soft. my next issue is thanks to the wife I’m away all week as she arranged a trip, knowing full well my IVA is the day after we get back.

I think I might have to re arrange it as i don’t think i have time to sort the speefo and brakes out. If i do it befote thursday they won’t charge me? hopefully

Daf

posted on 25/3/18 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
You should be okay, speedo is done on the rollers and if that's bouncing you have big issues!

As for the brakes it's all about percentages, as long as you can lock them up you should be okay. The tester will put it in the rollers and stomp on the pedal till it locks up - everything is then worked backward then from the measurements taken from his foot pressure sensor.

Irony

posted on 26/3/18 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Rollers are as smooth as anything at the IVA.

My rear callipers are essentially upside down so the bleed nipple is at the bottom. I have to take them off and turn them the right way up, then bleed them. Then reinstall. Tedious but it works.

furryeggs

posted on 31/3/18 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
3 days to go and only a few little jobs left...

Front brakes hoses adjusted and turned to stop any contact with wishbones, and some hose fitted over unions (read it on the Westfield site)
[img][/img]

Steering column shimmed and pedals bolts checked and changed.
[img][/img]

I have 4 bolts to change, 1 bit of carpet to fit under the dash, add a bit of ride height to the front and fit I new sensor pick up plate that should stop the speedo jumping.

3 more hours of jobs, after that it's down to the tester... I can do no more.

Collecting the wagon on Monday evening and loading up ready to leave early for the 8 o'clock test.

jps

posted on 31/3/18 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck! !
furryeggs

posted on 1/4/18 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Almost ready, as ready as i can be at least. Theres a few bits I’m not 100% happy with but I’ll just have to get it over with.

My new pickup seems to be a lot better than relying just a bolt head. I think my jumping/erratic speedo was down to the sensor head being to close to the diff flang so occasionally it would give a false read. My new pickup drops the sensor 4mm lower and gives a nice flat 6mm wide plate to read. I now get a good solid read every rotation, rather than a blip from the previous set up. Just got to drive it again in the morning to calibrate it. Plus a quick re blead of the brakes and that’ll be the lot. If it’s not raining I’ll take a few completed pics and get them posted...

Ian2812

posted on 1/4/18 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Looks like a nice and tidy build.

Hope you pass 1st time! Look forward to the updates on here!

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 1/4/18 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
good luck ....

Now where did you get the roll cage mounts for the mirrors (and did they pass)?

furryeggs

posted on 2/4/18 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
Well thats it... Done, for now.

My 2nd drive this afternoon to re calibrate the new speedo pick up seems to of done the job.
It did feel just a little twitchy so as soon as it's done and on the road It'll be off to GBS or Northampton Motor sport for a full set up and MAP. It could just be me though as It's a 2.4 quick rack with a small 285mm steering wheel so it doesn't take a huge imput to steer. The brakes re bleed ok and seem a lot better too.

There's 2 bits I'm still not sure about that I am unable to rectify in time.

1: RH engine mount bottom bolt through the chassis plate hasn't got a thread showing and without lifting the engine clear and grinding a slight groove in a chassis rail I can't get it any better ( the nut hits the chassis rail just as it pinches tight and won't turn any further).

2: My fuel rail is quite close to the Gear lever extension, it doesn't hit or touch at all but it is close. there's 10 clamps holding it inplace along the tunnel that are a little tight to get to, I've decided to leave as is and hope it doesn't get pulled up.

Other than that I can't see any more issues I've missed, allthough I'm sure there are a few...

And here are the pictures... Finished

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I'm now off to collect the transporter ready for the morning.

gremlin1234

posted on 2/4/18 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
looks nice

make sure you have a roll of self amalgamating tape with you, you may still need it for edges. - in particular the lambda sensor, and mirror mounts.

I hope you don't get too wet, forecast of thunderstorms, and possible flooding in places. near nottingham

good luck!

40inches

posted on 2/4/18 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good Luck. If you are going to Nottingham they will do everything they can to get you through. I altered a few things in the car park
after the test to get a pass. Including fitting rubber edge trim to the silencer They waited until it had cooled down , then gave me the certificate.
Description
Description

[Edited on 2-4-18 by 40inches]

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.