Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Should my car have a cat?
James24785

posted on 14/2/18 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Should my car have a cat?

Probably a completely stupid question, but I'm still all new to this kit car malarkey so bear with!

Car was built in 2012 and was fitted with a new 2.0 zetec. The guy who built it (who I bought it off) never mentioned it ever being fitted with a catalytic converter for the IVA. I've got all his build pics in a folder here, and non of them show a cat fitted either.

Now I was of the understanding that as it was built in 2012, then it would of needed one to pass IVA?

The logbook doesn't state any emissions figures either.

Basically, come April time, am I going to have to find a friendly MOT man, or should my car pass without an MOT?

Many thanks

SPYDER

posted on 14/2/18 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
The Zetec is likely to be a "crate" motor which was old enough to avoid the need for a cat. If the car is on a "Q" plate the emissions won't be checked at MOT anyway. Look through your paperwork and find the reciept for the engine. It might shed some light. If it does have to be emission checked the details will come up on the MOT computer when the tester logs in.
James24785

posted on 14/2/18 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've not got the receipt unfortunately. The car is on a age related plate (now on a private plate)
obfripper

posted on 14/2/18 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
If there are no emissions limits in section 3 of your V5c, when the car was registered the V5c was incorrectly completed by the dvla.
Have you a copy of the IVA MAC certificate?
If so, the last digit of the type code will give you the applicable emissions limits.

A Visual test only;
B Emission limit 4.5% CO, HC 1200ppm;
C Emission limit 3.5%, CO, HC 1200ppm;
D Emission limit Normal idle 0.5% CO, Fast idle 0.3% CO; 200ppm HC; Lambda 0.97-1.03;
E Emissions limit as per DOT current In Service Emissions Standards book;
F Emissions limit Diesel 2.5m-1;
G Emissions limit Turbo Diesel 3.0m-1

A,B,C are fine with no cat, D means you will need a cat and closed loop lambda control.

This is all going to get more complicated in May when post 01/09/2002 cars will be tested to the age of the vehicle, not the engine as with the present system.
I have contacted the DVSA, whos current standpoint is to not accept anything but the limits stated on the V5c, falling back to a full cat test if no limits are present.
They are aware of the type code limits, but consider them unsuitable for use as vehicle specific limit proof.

If you have a lower limit according to your MAC certificate, now is the time to get the DVLA to fix it.

Dave

James24785

posted on 14/2/18 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Dave, I'll have a check in a bit
James24785

posted on 14/2/18 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
The plot thickens.....I dont have a copy of the IVA certificate. Bugger!

Tomorrow I'll try and contact the previous owner to see if he still has it lying about somewhere. Surprised I've not got it as I've got pretty much everything else!

Whats the next option if the previous owner no longer has the IVA cert?

[Edited on 14/2/18 by James24785]

obfripper

posted on 14/2/18 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
The DVLA should have the original, but it will make things easier if you have a copy though as you can clearly point out the mistake made and the correct limits in your covering letter to the DVLA.
If your car passed IVA with a zetec engine but without a cat, the type code should be 'AOC', and it would be a 1991-08/1995 engine to qualify for this.
If the engine was newer than that at the IVA it would have been a cat test, but it's unlikely to be that with no cat fitted.

Dave

Dingz

posted on 14/2/18 at 11:40 PM Reply With Quote
What car is it and what is it registered as on the v5c?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

James24785

posted on 14/2/18 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
It's a GBS Zero, and is registered as such on the V5
loggyboy

posted on 15/2/18 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
What 2 'first registered' dates in the v5?
And what is written on the notes section?

Mistral Motorsport

James24785

posted on 15/2/18 at 08:15 AM Reply With Quote
It's says...

"1. Declared new at first registration
2. SVA/IVA cert issued 5/12/2011"

First registration dates are both 19/12/2011

gaz_gaz

posted on 15/2/18 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
Quite often the cat in integral to the Silencer, Have you had a look in there?
James24785

posted on 15/2/18 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think it's built in as the silencer is too small. Much smaller than the newer GBS silencers they currently sell
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/2/18 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
why not take it to a local garage and get them to do an emissions test and you'll see if it is within the limits. I think garages can access the MOT requirements for cars on the computer quite easily. Save you buying something you might not need.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 15/2/18 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote

obfripper

posted on 15/2/18 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
The MOT system has no data whatsoever on cars that should have specific emissions limits on the v5, the closest you get is the in service emissions handbook but that only covers factory built Caterhams and Westfields, not kit built cars.
If I had access to these details when carrying out an MOT, there would be no problem.
I used to test the majority of Chesils cars before they moved, and the variety of different registration dates, make and model descriptions etc that used to come up
for identical vehicles was ridiculous - the majority were registered by the same Bournmouth DVLA office. Under the old rules, there was no problem, the new rules are going to be a pain in the proverbial where the reg date is post 09/2002.

The problem is the DVSA are not particularly bothered due to the small number of cars this affects and class it as a DVLA/registration problem anyway.

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.