Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Corroded spark plug..?
AlexXtreme

posted on 19/2/18 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Corroded spark plug..?

One of my spark plugs looked like this when I took it out as part of it's 6 monthly check up...

The plugs are standard ngk type on a Silvertop and Webers with only around 2k miles on them. The rest of the plugs look fine and the engine runs OK though a bit lumpy when cold. The carbs are balanced, the leads were replaced at the same time as the plugs. When running the exhaust does not smell over rich..
What could be causing this? Could it be a faulty lead or plug? This plug is also considerably blacker than the others but is not oily.. looked on the internet and not seen anything like this before
Alex
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eiAODq0B2aD7JrB43

[Edited on 19/2/18 by AlexXtreme]

adithorp

posted on 19/2/18 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe it's just the picture but I can't see corrosion there, just soot. Looks like it's running rich on that cylinder.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

AlexXtreme

posted on 19/2/18 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just realised what it could be.... one of the plugs developed a fault and I brought a replacement. It must have been a different ngk version of plug (platinum tip looking at their web site) with out realising it!
Panic over..

nick205

posted on 19/2/18 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Maybe it's just the picture but I can't see corrosion there, just soot. Looks like it's running rich on that cylinder.

Agreed - it looks sooty to my eyes, not corroded!

ReMan

posted on 19/2/18 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Normal by design
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Denso-Platinum-Twin-Spark-Plug/dp/B002M2INCG

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

furryeggs

posted on 19/2/18 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
I’ve just bined all 4 brand new NGK platinum plugs cause they are all fried. less than 200m of driving and 1hr running.
perksy

posted on 19/2/18 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlexXtreme
One of my spark plugs looked like this when I took it out as part of it's 6 monthly check up...

The plugs are standard ngk type on a Silvertop and Webers with only around 2k miles on them. The rest of the plugs look fine and the engine runs OK though a bit lumpy when cold. The carbs are balanced, the leads were replaced at the same time as the plugs. When running the exhaust does not smell over rich..
What could be causing this? Could it be a faulty lead or plug? This plug is also considerably blacker than the others but is not oily.. looked on the internet and not seen anything like this before
Alex
https://photos.app.goo.gl/eiAODq0B2aD7JrB43

[Edited on 19/2/18 by AlexXtreme]

Just soot from a rich mixture although it'll be sooty if you cut the engine at idle (as it'll be on the idle circuit)
It's probably the photo but the gap looks big?
Iirc Ford altered the gap on the Silvertop Zetec plugs due to coil pack issues?

[Edited on 19/2/18 by perksy]

coyoteboy

posted on 19/2/18 at 11:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by furryeggs
I’ve just bined all 4 brand new NGK platinum plugs cause they are all fried. less than 200m of driving and 1hr running.

Sounds like you may have setup issues then, because I ran NGK plats for 45K miles without a problem on a megasquirted turbo and the stock ones were the same before that at 100K miles. How were they fried?

davew823

posted on 20/2/18 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
soot on plugs

That is way to much soot on the plug [rich mixture]. It time to dis-assemble that carb. Check the float seat and level plus the air bleed jet condition. Give the carb a good cleaning and you will be back in business. Davew823
MikeRJ

posted on 20/2/18 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

Sounds like you may have setup issues then, because I ran NGK plats for 45K miles without a problem on a megasquirted turbo and the stock ones were the same before that at 100K miles. How were they fried?

Definately, four spark plugs prematurely failing together will be caused by incorrect operating conditions without a doubt.

GeoffT

posted on 20/2/18 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

..probably also worth mentioning that there are loads of fake NGK plugs around, just google "fake NGK plugs" for plenty of info on identifying them.

AlexXtreme

posted on 21/2/18 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the comments..

- pretty certain that the other spark plugs were not fake as they were brought from a local motor factor - did not realise there were fakes around and thanks for the info

- the different plug was brought from Halfords in a hurry when one of the plugs failed all the other plugs have been fine and look right

- I was going a clean / service of the carb at the time as part of a service so hopefully should have sorted out the blackened plug. The car definitely ran smoother and just need some dry weather a bit above freezing to test it!

- good point on the gap. The original gaps were check but did not check the new one.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.