Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Making Tonneau Covers
B33fy

posted on 24/2/18 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Making Tonneau Covers

Been struggling to find an upholsterer to make a tonneau cover for the car. Most are not interested in one off’s and others are just plain unreliable.
Considering having a go myself. Anyone made their own covers and any advice guidance etc for a total novice?

softfeet

posted on 24/2/18 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Brockwell's of Kings Lynn https://www.yell.com/biz/brockwell-s-king-s-lynn-1365373/ were highly reccommmended by this chap on the Mad About Kit Cars Forum.

http://www.madabout-kitcars.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3113&highlight=tonneau&page=76

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/18 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know where you live, but if there are any boat yards nearby then they'll know of a local company that makes boat covers. They are usually made out of material that would be very suitable for a tonneau cover, and will probably be made to a very high standard. All the manufacturing processes are identical, as are the materials.

swanny

posted on 24/2/18 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Have a go at making your own. We’ve just made some half doors and that was sewn on a normal sewing machine without much trouble.

Made a simple surrey top in the past and now starting working a cover for it when it’s parked

B33fy

posted on 24/2/18 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swanny
Have a go at making your own. We’ve just made some half doors and that was sewn on a normal sewing machine without much trouble.

Made a simple surrey top in the past and now starting working a cover for it when it’s parked

What material and thread are you using. I was going to bind the edges as well, did you do yours?

JeffHs

posted on 25/2/18 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Made mine myself. Boot cover is separate, based on one from MG Midget, then full tonneau made from boot to windscreen, It's got 3 full length zips, one down the middle and one down each side so can be driven with just the driver's side open and the side panel still clipped on - quite cozy in winter. Look on Woolies site https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ for zips, fabric, thread fasteners etc.
My wife sewed it with a domestic machine which coped okish.

rusty nuts

posted on 25/2/18 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
If sewing on a domestic sewing machine try a layer of grease proof paper over the material and sew through it , it makes it easier to sew somehow.
swanny

posted on 26/2/18 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
we used a couple of different fabrics. I think we bought some lightweight rip-stop sail material for the old roof.
my half doors have been made out of an old dolomite sprint vinyl roof that the previous owner had bought but darn't fit onto the dolomite.

the edges were foded over and hemmed.

fastpedaller

posted on 26/2/18 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Quite easy to do if you use Mohair or Duck - Much more difficult with vinyl
B33fy

posted on 27/2/18 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply’s, probably go for everflex and speak to the guys at Martrim on thread gauge, binding and zips. Just need to work out how to sew it together.
fastpedaller

posted on 27/2/18 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B33fy
Thanks for the reply’s, probably go for everflex and speak to the guys at Martrim on thread gauge, binding and zips. Just need to work out how to sew it together.

If I'm correct everflex is a vinyl? and very tough to sew, even my industrial machine struggled with it. I don't know why upholsterers charge so much more for a mohair or duck hood (compared to vinyl) as although there is a small premium in material cost the sewing is so much easier in anything but vinyl. Vinyl will also shrink/stretch a lot depending on temperature.
Duck is good (but fades dramatically), mohair or similar polyester cloth holds its colour - Martrim sell it at a reasonable price the last time I looked. To sew it (unless it's an unusual design, first make paper patterns, make one half, sew half of zip to it, then CLOSE THE ZIP (otherwise it will never be wrinkle free.. Wonder how I know that!) and attach the other half. Easiest bit of 'exterior upholstery' to do. If you are near me (Norfolk) you can bring it round and I'll stick it - but can't do it until June.

B33fy

posted on 28/2/18 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Everflex is £18 metre, double duck £42 metre and Mohair is £54 a metre. Probably explains the cost. There is a carbon look pvc not sure how that fairs up though I’ve seen it in the flesh so to speak and it does look good.. The cost is £30 a metre. Don’t know how well it sews as it’s twice as thick as anything else on offer.
fastpedaller

posted on 28/2/18 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B33fy
Everflex is £18 metre, double duck £42 metre and Mohair is £54 a metre. Probably explains the cost. There is a carbon look pvc not sure how that fairs up though I’ve seen it in the flesh so to speak and it does look good.. The cost is £30 a metre. Don’t know how well it sews as it’s twice as thick as anything else on offer.

The material cost doesn't make much difference to the cost, (eg of hood) which will probably be £400 extra in mohair when the extra material cost is £72. A mohair hood will probably take 1hr less to sew!

preparation

posted on 16/9/19 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
Making Tonneau Covers

Hey mate, you really could make your own tonneau cover with a sewing machine, just need to buy enough covering material. I suggest using vinyl fabric since I found it the most durable and tough enough for that purpose. Also, sewing machines from this guide looks suitable enough because they cover a wide range of the materials which they are able to process! I hope it helps!
I would be glad to hear what other users could suggest as material for creation.

[Edited on 16/9/19 by preparation]

Mark RSP

posted on 19/1/20 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Is there any tips as I will be tackling this job in the next month or two
Uphill Racer

posted on 13/2/20 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
I reworked my seats and learnt loads by watching this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw_8PUaXqvjSq3p1lYouXzQ

Bluemoon

posted on 13/2/20 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
I think everflex will be an problem if your using a domestic machine....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.