Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lubricating brake fittings?
scudderfish

posted on 24/2/18 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Lubricating brake fittings?

I'm just replacing the P16 calipers on my car with a pair of M16. When I was tightening up the female nut to the male end of the braided flexi I noticed the copper pipe was twisting with it, albeit not the same amount. I reckon the pipe has about a quarter turn longitudinally in it now and there are stress marks in the surface of it. Should I have lubricated the end of the pipe/fitting before attempting to tighten so that the flare just gets squashed and not rotated?

Regards,
David

rusty nuts

posted on 24/2/18 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
No lubricant needed , in fact it could cause problems later. When using copper pipe you should ideally be using brass fittings but loads of people including me have used steel fittings . Copper pipe is softer than Kunifer and steel pipes so more likely to twist especially if over tightened or the wrong type or poorly made flares are us d.
daviep

posted on 24/2/18 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
I always lubricate the pipe above the flare and the inside and outside of the flare nut, making sure the sealing face of the flare is clean before assembling. No science to back this up practice but I've never had any problems and I tend to own / maintain the same vehicles for a long time, I've currently got a VW Polo which I've had for 13 years and a Merc Sprinter which I've had for 10 years, both of which have had brake pipes ages ago.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/18 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
red grease
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 26/2/18 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Why do you suppose vehicle manufacturers don't use any lubricant. In over 50 years in the motor trade I have never needed any or know of anyone else that has!
Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/18 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Why do you suppose vehicle manufacturers don't use any lubricant. In over 50 years in the motor trade I have never needed any or know of anyone else that has!

Then again how many times do said fittings rust solid and require a blow torch to remove... Hardly the perfect design yet

[Edited on 26/2/18 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 26/2/18 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I guess you must be a salesman if in 50 years in the motor trade you've never come across a flare nut rusted to the end of the pipe? Never had to change a perfectly good brake pipe because the end of the pipe twisted when slackening the flare nut?

I would guess that manufacturers don't use any lubricant because they don't care whether the flare nut unscrews in the future, also it requires care and attention to ensure that lube only goes where you want it and not into the brake system, not practical for a robot or man on a production line.

rusty nuts

posted on 26/2/18 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
I was trained as a motor vehicle technician when the term technician meant something unlike school leavers that call them selves technicians Having worked on cars from Model Ts to Aston Martins, Ferraris and Rolls Royces to name a few I've probably had far more experience than both of you put together. Do you really think that a bit of lubrication put on now is going to help when undoing brake fittings in 10 years ? Besides which any oil , grease etc can have unwanted effects on braking systems . If you don't agree then I will bow down to your obviously qualifications.NOT.
daviep

posted on 26/2/18 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I was trained as a motor vehicle technician when the term technician meant something unlike school leavers that call them selves technicians Having worked on cars from Model Ts to Aston Martins, Ferraris and Rolls Royces to name a few I've probably had far more experience than both of you put together. Do you really think that a bit of lubrication put on now is going to help when undoing brake fittings in 10 years ? Besides which any oil , grease etc can have unwanted effects on braking systems . If you don't agree then I will bow down to your obviously qualifications.NOT.

Have you really worked on Model Ts, Aston Martins, Ferraris and Rolls Royces???? I bet that was exciting for you!

What are the rules of "badge bingo" is it restricted to car manufacturers? How about forklifts?, excavators?, cranes?, Coiled Tubing units (you'll probably need to google this)?

I guess you've probably changed more brake pads than I would ever want to, but more experience I'm not so sure?

Cheers
Davie

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/2/18 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ego warning!

All hail Rusty Nuts....

How can your read that and not be embarrassed? seriously...

[Edited on 27/2/18 by Mr Whippy]

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/2/18 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
anyway personally I don't use any lubricant on the fittings, the pipe shouldn't really be twisting with the fitting or being wound up. If it has marks from this and I think I have seen this before (light lines spiralling round) I'd probably want to replace the copper pipe tbh safety first...

My gut feeling is that the flair is not correct and it is not seating correctly, seating more in the nut than the flexi and hence then turning with the nut...I'd have a very careful look at the appropriate one required for the braided flexi, it may very well be different to the standard hose.

I'd also recommend you replace hoses much more often than every 10 years.

scudderfish

posted on 27/2/18 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
In all probability the flare isn't quite right. I was planning on replacing the pipe anyway as I don't like the idea that there are stress marks; definitely don't want it to split under stress.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.