Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT for newly registered kit
ttalps2000

posted on 25/2/18 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
MOT for newly registered kit

Am i correct in that i do not need an MOT for the first 3 years from the date of registration? Im on a Q plate. DVLA did say that was the case, but they also said a lot of other things that were completely incorrect!
kingster996

posted on 25/2/18 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ttalps2000
Am i correct in that i do not need an MOT for the first 3 years from the date of registration? Im on a Q plate. DVLA did say that was the case, but they also said a lot of other things that were completely incorrect!

Yes that is correct. My Q is due it’s first MOT in June and was first registered in 2015.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure

posted on 25/2/18 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
My Suttol was 1st reg May '15

Last time the garage owner saw the car was to check the stamping of the vin on the chassis.

I suspect that this time the visit will cost more than a tenner.

Paul G

[Edited on 25/2/18 by 907]

ianhurley20

posted on 25/2/18 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
Mine is an age related reg passed 3/10/16 and no mot's required until 2019

rusty nuts

posted on 25/2/18 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you do get it MOTtested early then it will need testing the each year
kingster996

posted on 25/2/18 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
One thing to watch for - first time I SORN’d mine, when it came time to tax it again, I had to use post office to buy the tax, as the online system had the car down as needing an mot.

Just filled out a “declaration of not needing an mot as the car is too new” form (can’t recall the actual name) and all sorted ever since.

ianhurley20

posted on 25/2/18 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996
One thing to watch for - first time I SORN’d mine, when it came time to tax it again, I had to use post office to buy the tax, as the online system had the car down as needing an mot.

Just filled out a “declaration of not needing an mot as the car is too new” form (can’t recall the actual name) and all sorted ever since.

That's interesting as I had no problem taxing online after being sorned over winter

kingster996

posted on 25/2/18 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
quote:
Originally posted by kingster996

That's interesting as I had no problem taxing online after being sorned over winter

It was only in year one following first reg, no problem after that. Must have be a DVLA cock up (what a surprise)

ttalps2000

posted on 26/2/18 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the replys.

I have SORN'd the car for the moment until the weather improves in April. Driving on Friday morning in -2 degress C was fun, but I was numb!

Will see what the online system does when I come to renew the tax as I want to do it month by month. Will report back!

ch1ef

posted on 26/2/18 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I also had a problem about 3 years ago when i came to TAX my car that was under 3 years old and in the end did an MOT within 3 years of it being new as I couldn't tax it.
ttalps2000

posted on 19/3/18 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Had the issue come up that i cant tax online because of the MOT. Spoke to DVLA who said to use a V112 form. However you need to put down a catagory code for it, none of them are for a car that does not require a MOT because it is too new! Can anyone remember what they have done in the past?

thanks

40inches

posted on 19/3/18 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
I filled in a V112 for the first year, took it to the Post Office and the guy said he didn't need it because it was obvious
from the V5c that it was less than 3 years old. He overrode the system and taxed it.

loggyboy

posted on 19/3/18 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Try this. No guarantees but its the old form that has the section for choosing the age as the reason for exemption.
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ap9mOeT8wwLkgXsvsuEa-2ypMzJT

Mistral Motorsport

CosKev3

posted on 20/3/18 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ch1ef
I also had a problem about 3 years ago when i came to TAX my car that was under 3 years old and in the end did an MOT within 3 years of it being new as I couldn't tax it.

That's only online people have had issues,as above go see a human in the post office and they do it no bother!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.