Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what Battery for bike engine
dunk3

posted on 26/3/18 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
what Battery for bike engine

Hi all , whats the most suitable battery to use for a bike engine with a reverse gear fitted , and where is the best place to fit it bearing in mind i have to put the car through the IVA.
thanks

mistergrumpy

posted on 26/3/18 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
I used the bikes original spec battery. I have no reverse but I don't think that matters. I placed mine behind the steering rack personally. Kept the scuttle area empty and worked out with the wiring loom.
rj

posted on 26/3/18 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
It depend on the reverse, I initially tried a car starter, a bike battery even with bike engine revving didn't provide enough power to run the car starter, but bike battery happily runs my bike starter powered reverse.
CosKev3

posted on 26/3/18 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Surprising how much power a reverse motor takes,I would fit the biggest battery you can in the space your using.

What car are you building?

quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
I used the bikes original spec battery. I have no reverse but I don't think that matters. I placed mine behind the steering rack personally. Kept the scuttle area empty and worked out with the wiring loom.

As above,a bike battery is way too small to power a reverse motor on a BEC!

dunk3

posted on 26/3/18 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Building a MNR with a Gsxr 1000
CosKev3

posted on 26/3/18 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Some people use the Passenger side footwell for the battery,but this often restricts passenger leg room .

On the scuttle panel is the most common place,but it's a bit in your face there IMO.

I've put mine in front of the engine in a box,Westfield's use this location too.

Other option is behind your rear bulkhead panel above the diff,unless you are planning on a boot box etc?

Mr Whippy

posted on 28/3/18 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
I think I'd place the battery as close to the reverse motor as possible to reduce the voltage loss and the fire risk in an accident of having heavy live cables running through the car. The bike engine starter can just be fed through a smaller cable running down the tunnel
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 28/3/18 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ah yes. I've been away from kit cars for a while and forgot the reverse motor. My car was done towards the end of the SVA's and was rushed to avoid the IVA rules. Sorry for the duff info.
BenB

posted on 28/3/18 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
It's the kind of job a supercapacitor would be great. IE bike battery and a big supercap.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.