Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New member - Hello everyone
Rich-MK

posted on 2/4/18 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
New member - Hello everyone

Hi all

well I have finally gone and done it !, after all these years of looking at kit cars and reading through your excellent
posts I have finally purchased a car

whilst I have found the answers to most of my questions through the search facility the time has come when I need
a little more specific help and I hope you guys have the answers !!!

The car is a registered as new 2013 MK indy with a 2002 GSXR engine , i have had since late last year and is soon due
for an MOT

My concern is emmissions , the previous owner didnt have the car long enough to have an mot so i dont have that to go on
i dont think a cat is fitted as the downpipe runs straight into a 4 branch collector and then the silencer

a power comander is fitted and i dont know if i should be making adjustments to this before the test or leave well alone as the
car is running well at the moment

the car came with a spare exhaust which looks to have a seperate cat in it , i can see from the build photos this was
fitted at iva then removed and would not be an easy swop over to fit now

do you guys think it will be ok as is ? , i just didnt want to turn to a testing station having not done the correct homework
and fall foul of a schoolboy error

many thanks in advance

CosKev3

posted on 2/4/18 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
On a Q plate?
Rich-MK

posted on 2/4/18 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, no , car has 13 plate

Thanks

CosKev3

posted on 2/4/18 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you've got a friendly MOT tester you will need the cat putting back on I'm afraid

[Edited on 2/4/18 by CosKev3]

Rich-MK

posted on 2/4/18 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, thanks for the info, the old pipe was welded on in a place
That now has no joint so if I was going down that route would probably build a complete system just to bolt on for that purpose ,
Thanks

jacko

posted on 2/4/18 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Just take it and see you never know
if it fails then change it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tims31

posted on 2/4/18 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rich-MK
Hi all

well I have finally gone and done it !, after all these years of looking at kit cars and reading through your excellent
posts I have finally purchased a car

whilst I have found the answers to most of my questions through the search facility the time has come when I need
a little more specific help and I hope you guys have the answers !!!

The car is a registered as new 2013 MK indy with a 2002 GSXR engine , i have had since late last year and is soon due
for an MOT

My concern is emmissions , the previous owner didnt have the car long enough to have an mot so i dont have that to go on
i dont think a cat is fitted as the downpipe runs straight into a 4 branch collector and then the silencer

a power comander is fitted and i dont know if i should be making adjustments to this before the test or leave well alone as the
car is running well at the moment

the car came with a spare exhaust which looks to have a seperate cat in it , i can see from the build photos this was
fitted at iva then removed and would not be an easy swop over to fit now

do you guys think it will be ok as is ? , i just didnt want to turn to a testing station having not done the correct homework
and fall foul of a schoolboy error

many thanks in advance

Where abouts are you in South Lincs, I'm in Spalding.

Looking to sort out a local meet at some point with others if your up for it?

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

Ian2812

posted on 2/4/18 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to echo CosKev here...

I take it you have a normal road car as well?
You must have a local garage that you use and have used for a while?

Next time you're in strike up conversation, tell him about your kit car, even swing by in it next time you're out, tell him your concerns regarding emissions.

I'm pretty sure you'll be ok...

I haven't been in the kit car game too long myself, but what I've found is the MOT tester is generally in a happy mood to see something different from a Ford or Vauxhall, especially with a BEC being different again from your normal 7 type, and he'll look at the engineering and how the engine goes in 90 degrees the other way, how the gear change works etc. etc.

Sometimes they don't even check emissions due to not being able to find the correct vehicle to cross check it to... Not many MK Indy GSXR's come off the mainstream production line...

Good Luck! Let us all know how you get on....

Rich-MK

posted on 2/4/18 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the great responses , used to have a really good little garage that I had been using for years but one
of the guys retired so they closed down

got a couple of other places in mind though, so will be calling in soon for a chat soon, will let you know how it goes

tims31 , I too am in the Spalding area and would be up for a meet up with some others if you get it organised

thanks again guys , a great first experience on locostbuilders !!!!

chrisbmxr

posted on 3/4/18 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome!

I'm in a similar position myself ... my Indy Blade is a 2005 so has had a few MOT's but it will be my first time getting it tested in June, and if it fails miserably it could ruin my summer!!!

I was considering having it tested early so I have time before the weather improves to 'right any wrongs'!

Enjoy the car!

Rich-MK

posted on 14/4/18 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi All,

just thought i would feed back from today having had mot today, turned out the guy i used recently was pleased to see something
a little different, once he started to spot ford components it all seemed to be very straight forward.

My advice, as stated before , would be to pick a friendly local test station , chat about the car, stay with it all the time and you
should be fine

obviously you need to check over the car thoroughly before you go to ensure you don't fail on something silly

that's me all done for another year then !!!

Ian2812

posted on 14/4/18 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Perfect result! Happy motoring!

The key is knowing that friendly local garage...

I swung by mine with a case of beer as tip for the thorough job he done on mine...
I figured £10 well spent and should see me OK next time around...

[Edited on 14/4/18 by Ian2812]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.