Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Black wire behind dash
Mark100

posted on 4/4/18 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
Black wire behind dash

Ok so I have this black wire come off the back of my lights stalk as I was putting the dash together
I sent the stalks off to get it all wired with the loom so didn't assemble it in the first place
That and I have no idea about electrics to start with

does anyone now whitch terminal it came off
there are 4 at the top and a spare at the bottom
???

Im guessing its a ground wire ?? How would I find the ground terminal ???

[img]IMG _20180403_193652 by Mark Snee, on Flickr[/img]

Thanks Mark

tims31

posted on 4/4/18 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
The first thing I would try is to connect a multimeter to the black wire and an earth point on the chassis and see if it is connected to earth.

The diagram below is for the wiring of Sierra stalks on the right hand side

Have you tried all the functions for that side of the stalks, wipers, washer, side and main lights? Also maybe the horn?

[Edited on 4/4/18 by tims31]

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

nick205

posted on 4/4/18 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto, check it's earth with a multi-meter between the wire itself and the chassis (which should be earth).
Mark100

posted on 4/4/18 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
what will the multi meter say if it is an earth ???
from there looks like switched erath for washers and wipers (I have neither ) does that make a difference ??

Thanks for the help

tims31

posted on 4/4/18 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark100
what will the multi meter say if it is an earth ???
from there looks like switched erath for washers and wipers (I have neither ) does that make a difference ??

Thanks for the help

Do you know how to chek continuity? Have a look on Youtube for a guide on how to use a multimeter to check continuity, normally it has a 'beep' function so when checking between two points you will get a beep to tell you you have made a circuit, thats what you will do when connecting between the black wire and a point on the chassis if it is an earth.

nick205

posted on 4/4/18 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Most mulyi-meters I've seen and/or used have a beep (continuity) feature. This shows you if there's 0 Ohm connection between two points.
steve m

posted on 4/4/18 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
With the ignition on, put a nail in the hole, and stick your tongue on the nail
with one of your spare hands dip in water first , and hold the chassis or any bare metal

If you scream in agony, and have burnt your tongue, ITS LIVE

if not its a spare earth,

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Mark100

posted on 4/4/18 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
Ok watched a few you tubes on multi meters and tested it for continuity so it is an earth the did the connectors and they show earth's at 53c and w ??? Does it matter as long as it's an earth ?? Think I'll give the tongue test a miss and watch more videos. Cheers lads
tims31

posted on 4/4/18 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ok watched a few you tubes on multi meters and tested it for continuity so it is an earth the did the connectors and they show earth's at 53c and w ??? Does it matter as long as it's an earth ?? Think I'll give the tongue test a miss and watch more videos. Cheers lads

If it is from 53c then is your screen washer working or do you have it wired to a different switch?

Have you tested the functions of all the items for those switches on the right hand stalk?

Mark100

posted on 8/4/18 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
No screen so have a few spare tried the earth on 53c and it seemed fine till I flicked the lights on loads of smoke in a couple of seconds burnt the black wire and a couple of others near it now nothing on the colum works but the car still runs anyone now a auto sparky in leeds
ReMan

posted on 8/4/18 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
OK another approach!
Before the smoke and fire was anything NOT working?
If your lucky you've blown a fuse, but it does not sound great.
The problem is knowing how anything is wired.
I take it you only have lights indicatiotsrs and horn on the columns and no wipers/washer

[Edited on 8/4/18 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

02GF74

posted on 8/4/18 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
No screen so have a few spare tried the earth on 53c and it seemed fine till I flicked the lights on loads of smoke in a couple of seconds burnt the black wire and a couple of others near it

Too late now but why did you think connecting an unknown wire to earth would be a good idea? What was not working that you thought this would fix.

If wires are melted then the copper is likely to be shorting out meaning there is a lot of work tracing the circuits and replacing the wiring. If you are lucky, then a fuse will have blown a few wiring saved.

At the end of the day, it's just a bit of time and money, you aren't the only one to have made a mistake.

Mark100

posted on 9/4/18 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Yep fuse popped
The cars all fine just lights all was ok till I pulled the main beam flasher and bang
Im just leaving the electrics alone now and trying to find a sparky that will take a look for me you'd be supprised
how many companys don't want to know when you say kit car
" Yes we will come out what car is it a locost what ????? NO NO NO SEE YA "

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.