Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MOT Pass!
mistergrumpy

posted on 17/4/18 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
MOT Pass!

So I went through SVA in a rush in 2009 just before they introduced the IVA. I used the car on and off for the 3 free mot years and then let it sat. I decided to get it going again and through an MOT because I'm trying to move house and I'll not lie I was nervous. Nervous about it failing on something like emissions or something that would be a ball ache and also trying to find a good garage to do it. I booked it in for today and woke up to rain and couldn't get it rescheduled until mid next week when I'm working so I took the risk. The rain stopped just literally in time, although there was standing puddles and I went. I got a few looks and the MOT tester was amused at the car but he seemed genuinely interested and it passed! I'm happy as Larry. The flip side is that the DVLA online system also, for an unknown reason, let me tax it a few days ago even though it's never had an MOT. I messaged them and they told me it couldn't be done, that their system would block it but it's showing right and I have my online receipt for payment so I'm back on the road! Let the breakdowns commence!! (Not really. Been there, didn't like that)
tims31

posted on 17/4/18 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well done,

Just in time for the good weather

Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

mistergrumpy

posted on 17/4/18 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
Which was expected today but Yahoo (!) reassures me will be tomorrow and Thursday.
Thanks

chris_smith

posted on 17/4/18 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Well done glad you’re back on the road

The secret of success is to know something nobody else knows."

bi22le

posted on 17/4/18 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Mine has been SORN for about 5 years and a few track orientated mods means it won't pass at the mo.

But like you, I have also been considering putting it on the road. Although I'll never use it, a quick blat out would be more accessible then a track day miles away.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

mistergrumpy

posted on 17/4/18 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
It was strange to drive it again. Stalled it a few times setting off from junctions but was a lot less precious with it than when it was new so I was freely revving it more. The other thing that helped is that I had to strip the clutch plates down because they're always sticking (BEC) and I found out they're orientated slightly, as in a rounded face compared to a sharper face and putting them right made it less juddery at set off. Just got to hope it's more reliable than it was. Twice I've had the clutch cable go on me. The first time was right in the entrance of a pub car park, some 17 miles of motorway away, blocking it up. Fortunately a Robin Hood driver helped me sort it. The second time was not too far away from home, with the missus and I had to try and get it into gear and then just keep it going all the way in the one gear. It didn't work and was a long push home in the dark!
Dave Bailey

posted on 17/4/18 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Good to see you’re back on the road... from your avatar looks like a Luego Velocity Kit...

Dave B

CosKev3

posted on 17/4/18 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpy
It was strange to drive it again. Stalled it a few times setting off from junctions but was a lot less precious with it than when it was new so I was freely revving it more. The other thing that helped is that I had to strip the clutch plates down because they're always sticking (BEC) and I found out they're orientated slightly, as in a rounded face compared to a sharper face and putting them right made it less juddery at set off. Just got to hope it's more reliable than it was. Twice I've had the clutch cable go on me. The first time was right in the entrance of a pub car park, some 17 miles of motorway away, blocking it up. Fortunately a Robin Hood driver helped me sort it. The second time was not too far away from home, with the missus and I had to try and get it into gear and then just keep it going all the way in the one gear. It didn't work and was a long push home in the dark!

You didn't make up a spare cable after the first incident?

I carry three now after mine snapping.

I've modded clutch and throttle pedals so I can do a cable swap with no tools in a matter of minutes

gremlin1234

posted on 17/4/18 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mistergrumpyNervous about it failing on something like emissions ...
as its Q reg, the emissions are visible test only. usually easy enough to pass!

enjoy driving it

gremlin1234

posted on 17/4/18 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

I've modded clutch and throttle pedals so I can do a cable swap with no tools in a matter of minutes

if you are breaking cables, then you need a stop on the pedal

mistergrumpy

posted on 17/4/18 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I put a stop on the clutch pedal now. The issue was it snapping out from the nipple if I recall. I've soldered both ends thoroughly now so fingers crossed but yeah I really should look at carrying a spare. Another issue was the clutch arm wearing really quickly. I have around 5 spares now that I've welded and shaped and I think I've sorted that issue now.
From what I could decipher Quite plates are visual inspection if the engine was pre mid 98. Mine is 98. There is some discussion though. The MOT man actually asked me what he's supposed to do as he doesn't do many of these. I took that as none of these so told him visual only and he was happy as was I.
The bodywork is indeed Luego Velocity. Bought for its high bonnet. Shame they stopped making it but the last owner (Ben?) was a real tool. Abusive on the phone to me over quality issues so I figured they'd be out of business quickly.
Hope it's sunny tomorrow.

gremlin1234

posted on 17/4/18 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
From what I could decipher Quite plates are visual inspection if the engine was pre mid 98. Mine is 98. There is some discussion though. The MOT man actually asked me what he's supposed to do as he doesn't do many of these.
Vehicles having a Q plate registration when presented for MOT are to be treated as follows: For emission purposes only, all these types are to be considered as vehicles first used before 1 August 1975. For all other testing purposes they are to be considered as being first used on 1 January 1971...

CosKev3

posted on 18/4/18 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by CosKev3
quote:

if you are breaking cables, then you need a stop on the pedal

I've got a stop fitted.

It's my lack of cable soldering experience that's the cause!

nick205

posted on 18/4/18 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
Glad to hear it passed OK and as said you're ready for the better weather that we're told is coming.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.