Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Separating Engine from Gearbox
JC

posted on 18/5/18 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Separating Engine from Gearbox

So, the ongoing saga of my Sons Aygo.....

Have prepped engine for removal. I can’t get the car high enough to remove the engine and gearbox together so I am trying to separate the engine and gearbox and remove just the engine upwards. It should be possible as the Haynes manual tells you how to remove just the gearbox.....

Anyway, everything removed, unbolted etc. But engine refuses to separate from the gearbox. Any top tips - I don’t have a blow torch so I can’t apply heat

Thanks...I’m not looking forward to ‘refitting is the reverse of removal.....’

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 18/5/18 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cold chisel + lump hammer + mechanical sympathy.

jps

posted on 18/5/18 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have never seen a FWD engine/gearbox out of a car - so this may be irrelevant - but I know when i was trying to separate (and reattach) my Pinto/RWD gearbox having a load leveller on the hoist made it SO much easier. If you've already got the engine lifted on a hoist and are trying to separate it, it could be the angle at which the engine is trying to lift that's stopping it separating?
owelly

posted on 18/5/18 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
First off....if you were even contemplating applying heat to help separating the engine and box, please put down your tools and walk away. Were you going to get the entire engine and gearbox glowing hot?!

In my experience, the bellhousing wil be located to the engine block with two or three hollow dowels which are a snug fit. Once these are moved a couple of mm, the box should come away easily. Find where these are and use a shallow wide chisel and see if you can get things moving. Just a mm at a time.

Also in my experience, if it's that hard to shift, there's still a bolt in somewhere! Either tucked up behind the starter motor or one that is orientated differently from the usual suspects.

Good luck.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JC

posted on 18/5/18 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - a small amount of sympathy applied....it’s now clear of the dowels but won’t separate more than a cm or so...
Guess I need to play with the angles!

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 18/5/18 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for last comment owelly

[Edited on 18/5/18 by ian locostzx9rc2]

steve m

posted on 18/5/18 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
"Also in my experience, if it's that hard to shift, there's still a bolt in somewhere! Either tucked up behind the starter motor or one that is orientated differently from the usual suspects. "

My thoughts as well

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Nickp

posted on 18/5/18 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
So you're attempting to remove the engine and leave the gearbox in a fwd car? Personally never seen it done like this. You either take the gearbox out or take the lot out. Just cos the Haynes manual says you can take the gearbox out on its own, which you usually can on fwd, it'd be very wrong to assume the engine can come out on its own.
theconrodkid

posted on 18/5/18 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
if there are no hidden bolts,push on the release lever, prob the spigot bearing stuck on the input shaft, dont try big levers or heat as you will enter a world of pain.

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

ReMan

posted on 18/5/18 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
I recall this was tricky when I split the Yaris box of to do the clutch and it was just tight and needed to be pulled of straight, not wangled off at an angle, which in itself it tricky with not much room. Persevere

[Edited on 18/5/18 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Oddified

posted on 18/5/18 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Or the clutch plate stuck on the gearbox splines.
MikeRJ

posted on 19/5/18 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nickp
So you're attempting to remove the engine and leave the gearbox in a fwd car? Personally never seen it done like this. You either take the gearbox out or take the lot out. Just cos the Haynes manual says you can take the gearbox out on its own, which you usually can on fwd, it'd be very wrong to assume the engine can come out on its own.

Exactly what I was thinking! It might be possible on the Aygo I suppose, but seems an unusual way to do things.

JC

posted on 20/5/18 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
It looks possible - there is space to do it and if it works then I don’t have to disturb/remove driveshafts.......

Trying again later today..

Phil_1471

posted on 20/5/18 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Shouldn’t be an issue as long as you have enough room to take it out ‘straight’. The dowels usually arnt long enough to keep everything inline until you read the end of the splined shaft, I would get some long bolts cut he heads off and put them in where you took out fastening bolts, that will help slide everything out inline and also same when you put it back in. Some times a little tappy tap with a rubbber mattet just releases anything that stuck/sized.

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

JC

posted on 20/5/18 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - some long rods to keep it all straight did the trick. It’s now fully separated and balanced on the trolley jack.

Just waiting for the loan of the neighbours engine crane to get it out!!!

Thanks all

Phil_1471

posted on 20/5/18 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Can you jack the car up and slide it out underneath??? ;-)

You can live in a car but can't rally a house

JC

posted on 21/5/18 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
It’s out! Was easy enough once it was all lined up.

It could have come out downwards but it’s a really tall engine and I would have to get the car up high, plus I was trying not to disturb the driveshafts!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.