Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering Adjustment
chrisbmxr

posted on 4/6/18 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Steering Adjustment

The steering wheel on my MK Indy is out of line by 15-20 deg now that I have removed the crappy quick release kit which was on my car (the bolt patterns were offset slightly from the wheel to the hub).

What's the easiest way to straighten this? Is the best adjustment on the spline on the rack?

Just wanted to check before I balls it up :-)

Thanks.

posted on 4/6/18 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
From wheels pointing straight ahead if you have equal turns to full left lock as you have to full right lock
then remove the steering wheel off it spline and refit with the spokes straight.

Further and fine adjustment can be made at the rack to track rod end threads.
Don't make massive adjustments here as you can run out of threads.

HTH
Paul G

chrisbmxr

posted on 4/6/18 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
From wheels pointing straight ahead if you have equal turns to full left lock as you have to full right lock
then remove the steering wheel off it spline and refit with the spokes straight.

Further and fine adjustment can be made at the rack to track rod end threads.
Don't make massive adjustments here as you can run out of threads.

HTH
Paul G

Thanks Paul.

Problem is I think my car uses a Sierra column, which means the wheel hub is fitted on a hex shaft rather than a splined one, which means any adjustment here is going to be too major.

My plan was to get the wheels pointing dead straight and then reset the column at the rack with the wheel spokes straight. Not sure how big a job that is though ... i.e. whether the whole column needs removing from it's brackets to allow enough play to remove from the rack.

CosKev3

posted on 4/6/18 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
You should be able to do it by loosening off the top joint on the triangle shaped shaft near where the column passes through the bulkhead,with that loose you can then undo the column onto rack joint and slide it up on the triangle joint

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.