Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 27/6/18 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
best brake pipe flare tool

Hello. Many years ago I bought a brake pipe flare which I was never happy with. Seems to give flares that were off centre. Always figured it was me. Today I've been playing and playing and they're still off centre. Looking closely I can see it's the tool. The pointy bit isnt central / spins off centre so pushs the flare to one side.So....

Recommendations on a Brake flare tool. I don't want a 20 quid Sealy / eBay special. I want it to work reliably. I realise this means I may need to pay a bit more.

Current got one of these so unless lots of people swear theirs is fine I don't want another.

https://www.frost.co.uk/brake-pipe-flaring-tool.html

[Edited on 27/6/18 by MikeR]

big_wasa

posted on 27/6/18 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
It’s a bit extravagant for one build but still,

eBay Item

DavidW

posted on 27/6/18 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I upgraded from and really cheap type that looks like a nutcracker to one of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-TRIDENT-T413701-3-16-316/183233962008?epid=4017004564&hash=item2aa9986018:g:42MAAOSwdzVXigs5 />
I've found it to be completely good enough for male and female flares. Good value for me.

David

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 27/6/18 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've watched a video of someone using one of those trident flares. Looked great and easy to use - I'm just worried it's too cheap to be reliably good. I don't want to buy one then buy a third cause the second is also a bit rubbish.

How many flares have you done? Any issues at all?

Warren - I agree it's not cheap etc but I want something that works first time and is easy to use. I'm tempted to pay that money. (I've been living down south to long)

David Jenkins

posted on 27/6/18 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
I've watched a video of someone using one of those trident flares. Looked great and easy to use - I'm just worried it's too cheap to be reliably good. I don't want to buy one then buy a third cause the second is also a bit rubbish.

I did my entire car with a flare tool very similar to that one (mine doesn't have the handle). It takes a bit of practice before you get consistent results, but once you've got the hang of it you'll get very good flares every time. Making sure the end of the pipe is clean and absolutely level was the first thing I worked out for myself, but I'm sure that's valid for any flare tool.

mcerd1

posted on 27/6/18 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
any Sykes Pickavant one you like - even the ancient ones (as long as they have the dies you need of course)

my dad's still got one that must be 50+ years old

-

bonzoronnie

posted on 27/6/18 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
My main brake pipe tool is a good quality bench vice mounted one.

Earlier this year I needed to replace a section of the rear brake pipe on my Jeep ( in situ & on the car ).

I bought one of those Trident hand tools to do the job.
It managed to flare the steel pipe on the Jeep with ease, well impressed with the tool to say the least.

[Edited on 27/6/18 by bonzoronnie]

myke pocock

posted on 27/6/18 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Well I have a Machine Mart one. Did a JC Midge, my Locost and most pipes on my Skoda Estelle trials car with it and few complaints.
Slimy38

posted on 27/6/18 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidW
I upgraded from and really cheap type that looks like a nutcracker to one of these...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Tool-TRIDENT-T413701-3-16-316/183233962008?epid=4017004564&hash=item2aa9986018:g:42MAAOSwdzVXigs5 />
I've found it to be completely good enough for male and female flares. Good value for me.

David

Yep, I've got one of those too, they pop up on lots of forums as the 'best budget' tool. I've used it a couple of times and the results are spot on.

mark chandler

posted on 27/6/18 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by DavidW

David

Yep, I've got one of those too, they pop up on lots of forums as the 'best budget' tool. I've used it a couple of times and the results are spot on.

Snap, had mine 30 years, bit of practice and it's great with the advantage being run the pipe then flare in situ.

rusty nuts

posted on 27/6/18 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just be aware the the Trident tool listed is for Imperial flares which are a different shape to Metric flares although that type of tool is available for Metric flares . I have two of the Franklin versions which work well but tend to use my vice mounted Sykes tool that I've had for at least 40 years.The Flaremaster tool is OK on Kunifer or copper but I've known at least 3 that have broken when used on steel pipes.
DavidW

posted on 27/6/18 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Warren - I agree it's not cheap etc but I want something that works first time and is easy to use. I'm tempted to pay that money. (I've been living down south to long)

I've done about 20 flares after 1 practice. All were good, even those on the car in awkward places. I think you will need the metric version and someone else has suggested.

miskit

posted on 27/6/18 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
As above I must have done 20 or so - all spot on with the Trident type shown.
FamilyGuy

posted on 28/6/18 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a cheap one which was absolutely rubbish. I upgraded to one like David W' s link and it has been excellent. Simple to use and consistent results, all for a reasonable price. It's portable as well if you ever need to do a flare on a car as opposed to on a bench.
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 28/6/18 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback folks really really appreciated.

I'm off to amazon to buy the franklin metric one ..... wish me luck.

(waiting for someone to scream - no you'll need the imperial one for ...... xyz)

Also - which is better / how do i know if i should be doing single or double flares?

[Edited on 28/6/18 by MikeR]

nick205

posted on 28/6/18 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I used my Dad's set for my build - don't know that make, but it did the job fine.

ETA - IIRC I used copper brake pipe and not kunifer.

[Edited on 28/6/18 by nick205]

Slimy38

posted on 28/6/18 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Also - which is better / how do i know if i should be doing single or double flares?

I was under the impression that brake flares should always be double, then they should be either male or female depending on where they are in the system.

DavidW

posted on 28/6/18 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
I used my Dad's set for my build - don't know that make, but it did the job fine.

I started with this type but I couldn't rely on it.

alistairolsen

posted on 28/6/18 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
I inherited one like this

Which is fantastic and works every time. It's the best option, but also the most expensive and least flexible (impossible to use without a vice, or under a car)

I bought one of these:

To do one flare under a car for an MOT and it's so good the other one hasnt been out of the cupboard since.

If I went to make a full set of new lines and spend all day using it, I'd still plump for the larger one.

My Build Thread

16v205

posted on 28/6/18 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hello. Many years ago I bought a brake pipe flare which I was never happy with. Seems to give flares that were off centre. Always figured it was me. Today I've been playing and playing and they're still off centre. Looking closely I can see it's the tool. The pointy bit isnt central / spins off centre so pushs the flare to one side.So....

Recommendations on a Brake flare tool. I don't want a 20 quid Sealy / eBay special. I want it to work reliably. I realise this means I may need to pay a bit more.

Current got one of these so unless lots of people swear theirs is fine I don't want another.

It's a shame your one of these doesn't work, I bought one maybe 15 years ago and it's still in use today. I have ran 100's of feet of copper pipe in with it, flaring anything from cars, bikes, to light lorry's. It's fantastic for flaring in situ on the vehicles. In fact I have just don't my kitcar front to back and a 205 GTi and the flares are just what you'd expect.

I don't remember them being that cheap though, sure it was more like £80 when j got mine. I wonder if they are cheaper copies of the original tool nowadays and that's why they don't work so well.

MikeRJ

posted on 29/6/18 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

What problems have you had with that tool? I have the same one and it works reasonably well, albeit not as nice as the proper Sykes Pickavant bench mounted flaring tool.

You do need to adjust the eccentric pivot carefully to get the right amount of clamping pressure on the pipe.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/6/18 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
no it was you...

I have several of the cheapest of cheap types and never had any bother. It's all down to just how much pipe is sticking out at the time, I have the sizes written down on the lids and use a vernier to check before I flair it, if you get that right it all goes well. Bit of brake fluid in the pipe also stops the die sticking

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 29/6/18 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
Imagine you've made a flare and are now looking down on the flare. It would look ok. Turn it 90 degrees so the flare is at the top and the pipe is a straight line to the floor. You'd see the flare was off centre. One side would be near vertical the other side flared out a lot. Happened every time. When I was looking to take it apart the other day to see if I could figure how to move the pointy bit more central I saw when I span it, the point span off centre to the threaded but it was attached too.

Will try and get some pictures. New flare turned up today but I'm banned from the garage today .

FamilyGuy

posted on 30/6/18 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Thanks for the feedback folks really really appreciated.

I'm off to amazon to buy the franklin metric one ..... wish me luck.

(waiting for someone to scream - no you'll need the imperial one for ...... xyz)

[Edited on 28/6/18 by MikeR]

You will need to use either an SAE double flare or ISO bubble flare depending on what type of union you have. See link for info.

www.fedhillusa.com/?page=flare

An ISO flare is a single stage flare which is doubled over on tightening, these types of flare should not be reused once removed unlike SAE flares.

I believe both of these flare types are used by different car manufacturers.

Also I had big problems getting a decent flare with the type of tool above in the red box, there is a bit of a knack to them and I found it hard to get repeatable results. The titan tool was a doddle.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.