Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT van door stuck
luke2152

posted on 11/8/18 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
OT van door stuck

So I had a senior moment and introduced the sliding door on my vito van to a bollard last week. Low speed and moderate damage to the door. I've sourced a complete replacement one. The door no longer opens and while it is damaged it looks like it shouldn't stop it working so I think it's the lock which is damaged, after removing the cable from the button I've pulled on it with various things and it still won't release. I could pull harder but I think it will break.

Anyone know any tricks?

Plan B will be cutting a section out of the door and attacking the lock with my angry grinder.

nick205

posted on 13/8/18 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
I'd have search on You Tube by make and model. Very often if it's a common fault there'll be a video of someone fixing it, which might be helpful.

A rear door on SWMBO's 2007 VW Touran wouldn't open a while back. In the end getting the interior door panel off gave access to the door latch/lock mechanism inside the door. The metal cable that operates it had come out. Getting the trim off with the door shut was an ar5e of a job, but it did prevent having to physically cut through the door skin to get to the mechanism. If you can remove the inner panel you might also get access to the latch/lock mechanism and avoid damage to the door skin.

Please report back how you get on as it may help others!

luke2152

posted on 13/8/18 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Inner panel was already off but to no avail. Fortunately cutting through the outer skin solved the problem very easily (problem turned out to be the dented outer sheet putting pressure on the actual lever bit of the lock mechanism and once removed was able to just move the lever).

Did realise afterwards just how insecure a door is when an electric angle grinder and 2 minutes of cutting gets the door open...

rusty nuts

posted on 13/8/18 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152

Did realise afterwards just how insecure a door is when an electric angle grinder and 2 minutes of cutting gets the door open...

Apparently it takes about 10 seconds to get into the rear doors of a transit!

scudderfish

posted on 13/8/18 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote

nick205

posted on 14/8/18 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by luke2152
Inner panel was already off but to no avail. Fortunately cutting through the outer skin solved the problem very easily (problem turned out to be the dented outer sheet putting pressure on the actual lever bit of the lock mechanism and once removed was able to just move the lever).

Good - you have it sorted!

Bit of filler and you'll never know you've been in there

ReMan

posted on 14/8/18 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Which makes this less mental!!
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/52/viewthread.php?tid=213098

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.