Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: indicators - playing up, what should i look for
killerferret666

posted on 18/8/18 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
indicators - playing up, what should i look for

LED indicator system, with relevant relay. Been working fine.

had to change an LED and put it back in, no idea how long it had been out and the indication seems short and abrupt. Other side is fine ,best way i can describe it is correct side holds the light for a second or so and then go off. The other side, long gap then on and off sort of straight away. Iss not a rapid flash like when a bulbs gone normal speed just short amount of light, however normal level of light.

Also noted - dashboard light stays on, does not flick on and off.

I also notice on the side indicator (smallest of them all, 3 LEDs) between the flash they still glow ever so slightly, again only happens on the one side. So something to do with that wiring.

I've spent a day on it and got no where basically.

I presume this cant be earth's because the light is still on inbetween the relay flashes, or could it be and the resistance means the current has no where to go (probably all incorrect terminology!)

any help or advice would be good. Because although I wired this car 4 - 5 years ago I'm at a loss as to whats wrong.

wiring is just ob CBS 12 fuse circuit board in case it makes a difference.

[Edited on 18/8/18 by killerferret666]

Building DDR GT4

Miami Gt4 Blog - Click Here

wylliezx9r

posted on 18/8/18 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
I would question the replacement part. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's serviceable. It looks like it was all working ok before the replacement part so you should try to get back to this state - how could there be a wiring fault when it worked ok previously ?

[Edited on 18/8/18 by wylliezx9r]

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

killerferret666

posted on 18/8/18 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
I would question the replacement part. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's serviceable. It looks like it was all working ok before the replacement part so you should try to get back to this state - how could there be a wiring fault when it worked ok previously ?

[Edited on 18/8/18 by wylliezx9r]

Its hard to know if the dashboard flasher was flashing before! I cant remember I just did my usual check of the lights and saw the rear light was out.

Wiring fault could be worn connectors taking it apart or bad earths. Being a kitcar they arent as protected most of the time, I know mine arent. Just hoped someone had had similar

Building DDR GT4

cliftyhanger

posted on 19/8/18 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
swap the new led onto the other side. then you should be able to tell ifit is the new led or the other side wiring that is at fault.
killerferret666

posted on 19/8/18 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
swap the new led onto the other side. then you should be able to tell ifit is the new led or the other side wiring that is at fault.

thanks for this, sometimes we forget the obvious. Although mine isn't an LED bulb its a custom LED unit I made, circle COB LED's for taillights and brakes and then a big LED in the centre for the Indicator. What had actually happened it turns out is the regulator I put before the LED to give a constant 12v has gone. The piece I've put in although says comes with 12 regulator must be ever so slightly lower and doesn't do enough to trigger a proper flash.

Being a custom unit i overlooked swapping the units over, so I Swapped units over and the left hand side was then fine. So ive ordered a few regulators and will replace it when it arrives. that hopefully should cure the issue!

The amount of hours I wasted on this yesterday!

Building DDR GT4

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.