Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Road trip to Europe - advice
David Jenkins

posted on 22/8/18 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
France seems a good place to avoid so far...

it's really not that bad - eccentric, but OK once you get the hang of it.

Another French novelty to look out for (and some other bits of Europe) - quite often the speed limit is reduced when it's raining. The speed limit signs are quite clear though, with (say) 100kph on one side and 90kph with a rain symbol over it on the other. Basically, if you need to turn your wipers on, the speed limit is reduced. Actually quite sensible...

Don't go too slow on the autoroutes, otherwise you might find a policeman waving at you from a patrol car urging you to go faster!

[Edited on 22/8/18 by David Jenkins]

jps

posted on 22/8/18 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
We've done a few holidays in mainland-Europe. There's a bit in the Italian Job where Michael Caine turns to the driver of one of the minis and says "And don't forget to drive on the wrong side of the road"... I chant it out every time I leave a hypermarche car park or turn right at a cross roads! It's when you are not in a flow of movement that you hesitate and wonder which side to aim for.

But on the whole the roads are laid out in such a way that you can't get it wrong - coming up to a roundabout for example you approach at such an angle that you'd really have to turn right back on yourself to drive round it the 'English' way.

Most of my driving has been in France, which I consider to be a great place - full of lots of interesting scenery and places and, in my experience, fairly nice people. I would recommend it highly to be honest. If you're interested in reminders of the horrors of war the Normandy beaches are well worth a visit and I did want to go to Oradour-sur-Glane (still in the state it was left by the Nazis after they killed everyone there and burnt the village down) but the missus wasn't so keen!

The main thing about driving in France that I have noted is that the slip roads on the peage (the toll motorways) really are VERY short and lead off into some tight curves. As soon as you cross the dotted line to leave the right(!!!) hand lane you want to be hard on the brakes!

Bon voyage!

(EDIT: Actually he says "Just remember, in this country they drive on the wrong side of the road." - But you get the point...)

[Edited on 22/8/18 by jps]

David Jenkins

posted on 22/8/18 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps

The main thing about driving in France that I have noted is that the slip roads on the peage (the toll motorways) really are VERY short and lead off into some tight curves. As soon as you cross the dotted line to leave the right(!!!) hand lane you want to be hard on the brakes!

So true! Had been driving an autoroute for some time, quite fast, so decided that I could do with a break. Saw a rest area coming up, so dived down the slip road slowing at "normal in Britain" rate. Found myself still doing 40+ mph with dozens of trucks in front of me, on a cobbled road! Just about managed to stop safely...

jimbo7777

posted on 22/8/18 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I only came to the site to check the weight of various models I might consider building and subsequently trailering around but I saw this thread and thought I might have some experience to offer.

Firstly I would endorse the suggestion of getting the ferry from Harwich especially if you want to avoid France. However please leave plenty of time to get to Hook of Holland on your return journey as the port is realy badly signposted and your satnav will probably send you to the freight area.

In Belgium you might like to visit the Atomium and the European Space Centre as well as Spa Francorchamps where the banked corner at the bottom end of the old circuit is still part of the public road and there is a (slightly disappointing for me) motor museum in the old abbey at Stavelot.

I have visited the Baltic coast in Germany and can recommend Daisy's Diner near Bremen for an enroute munch.
We visited a ton of places along the coast and there are lots of campsites, but some of the most interesting bits are on Ruegen island including the bleak East German listening ststion at Putgarten, the herring port and U Boat museum at Sassnitz and Uncle Addie's unfinished 'Butlins' at Prora which was also a DDR army base and contains a motorcycle museum.

If you are going to Poland make sure your insurance covers for driving there as ours ran out at the German border.

Heading from Auschwitz back to the channel you could stop at Vienna, Munich, Stuttgart before getting back to Belgium. The route up the Rhine valley to Koblenz is very pretty and you can camp at the uniquely stunning Lacher See. Or visit Germany's oldest city Trier.

The best thing I find about driving in Europe espec Germany is the distances you can eat up quite quickly. We did Hook of Holland to Ruegen 900km in a day fairly easy.

One frustration I was not expecting in Germany (and Holland) is the lack of cashpoints except in major towns and cities. Also not all shops take all cards or indeed any cards at all - even some national chains take visa but not mastercard or vice versa. So It's best to get cash when you can and probably hold more of it than you might in the UK.

Anyway sorry for banging on. Hope some of the above is useful.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/8/18 at 05:39 AM Reply With Quote
Much appreciated, a wealth of useful info there thank's for taking the time. Thanks to everyone too huge help

quote:
Originally posted by jimbo7777
I only came to the site to check the weight of various models I might consider building and subsequently trailering around but I saw this thread and thought I might have some experience to offer.

Firstly I would endorse the suggestion of getting the ferry from Harwich especially if you want to avoid France. However please leave plenty of time to get to Hook of Holland on your return journey as the port is realy badly signposted and your satnav will probably send you to the freight area.

In Belgium you might like to visit the Atomium and the European Space Centre as well as Spa Francorchamps where the banked corner at the bottom end of the old circuit is still part of the public road and there is a (slightly disappointing for me) motor museum in the old abbey at Stavelot.

I have visited the Baltic coast in Germany and can recommend Daisy's Diner near Bremen for an enroute munch.
We visited a ton of places along the coast and there are lots of campsites, but some of the most interesting bits are on Ruegen island including the bleak East German listening ststion at Putgarten, the herring port and U Boat museum at Sassnitz and Uncle Addie's unfinished 'Butlins' at Prora which was also a DDR army base and contains a motorcycle museum.

If you are going to Poland make sure your insurance covers for driving there as ours ran out at the German border.

Heading from Auschwitz back to the channel you could stop at Vienna, Munich, Stuttgart before getting back to Belgium. The route up the Rhine valley to Koblenz is very pretty and you can camp at the uniquely stunning Lacher See. Or visit Germany's oldest city Trier.

The best thing I find about driving in Europe espec Germany is the distances you can eat up quite quickly. We did Hook of Holland to Ruegen 900km in a day fairly easy.

One frustration I was not expecting in Germany (and Holland) is the lack of cashpoints except in major towns and cities. Also not all shops take all cards or indeed any cards at all - even some national chains take visa but not mastercard or vice versa. So It's best to get cash when you can and probably hold more of it than you might in the UK.

Anyway sorry for banging on. Hope some of the above is useful.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
luke2152

posted on 23/8/18 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
Belgium activly targets foreigners for speeding (or maybe the locals know where the traps are). But i got directed into a layby by a motorbike cop and already stopped were British cars, german cars, dutch cars, french cars. No Belgian ones. Had to pay the fine before i could leave (not huge fine but wasn't huge speed). My own fault of course but be aware.
luke2152

posted on 23/8/18 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
To drive on the motorways in Switzerland you need to buy a windscreen sticker at the border (road tax) and you have to pay for the whole year up front (about £50ish if I remember). Same goes in Austria but you can just buy a 7 day sticker there.
Mr Whippy

posted on 23/8/18 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Europe no wonder we wanted to leave you....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daviep

posted on 23/8/18 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Oh Europe no wonder we wanted to leave you....

To be fair almost half of us wanted to stay

£30 a year to drive on good quality motorways seems like a bargain to me?

Newcastle ferry is pretty good for us northerners, it's on the north side of Newcastle, you board ferry around 3pm which is easily do-able without a mega early start or an overnight stay even from Aberdeen, you arrive Amsterdam 9ish in the morning.

I've never used the Harwich ferry as it's a day spent crawling down the UK for no real gain in my opinion.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.