Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is this threadlock and should I apply more?
jps

posted on 23/9/18 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
Is this threadlock and should I apply more?

The hub carrier bolts from my Sierra donor have blue stuff on the threads. I assume it's a threadlock. Looks like brand new Ford bolts for the same purpose have the same on them - e.g. https://www.fordpartsuk.com/rear-hub-mounting-bolt

The Haynes manual makes no mention of reapplying a threadlock when replacing the bolts on reassembly, but I thought threadlock needed reapplying once undone?

Should I buy some to reapply and if so, what stuff?

[Edited on 23/9/18 by jps]

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 23/9/18 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
If your reusing the bolts clean them and reapply tread lock
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
tims31

posted on 23/9/18 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
The hub carrier bolts from my Sierra donor have blue stuff on the threads. I assume it's a threadlock. Looks like brand new Ford bolts for the same purpose have the same on them - e.g. https://www.fordpartsuk.com/rear-hub-mounting-bolt

The Haynes manual makes no mention of reapplying a threadlock when replacing the bolts on reassembly, but I thought threadlock needed reapplying once undone?

Should I buy some to reapply and if so, what stuff?

[Edited on 23/9/18 by jps]


Yes it is, its the same stuff you get when you buy new Flywheel bolts or propshaft bolts. Just clean off the old and apply new.

Halfords do small bottles of Blue threadlock which should be fine for your needs.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/paints-body-repair/adhesive s/loctite-threadlocker

[Edited on 23/9/18 by tims31]





Build: http://www.martinsfurybuild.co.uk/

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 23/9/18 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
And do not that it has a use by date on the bottle so don't be retiring it for important stuff many years down the line.





Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/9/18 at 02:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
And do not that it has a use by date on the bottle so don't be retiring it for important stuff many years down the line.



??
I did not understand that...
Do you mean it goes bad?
Or the other way around?
I have a small bottle from the start of my build.
Not used on anything critical, but I don´t remember either it has a Exp date on it.
Best regards
AA





Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 24/9/18 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
And do not that it has a use by date on the bottle so don't be retiring it for important stuff many years down the line.



??
I did not understand that...
Do you mean it goes bad?
Or the other way around?
I have a small bottle from the start of my build.
Not used on anything critical, but I don´t remember either it has a Exp date on it.
Best regards
AA



I think the point he's trying to make is that thread lock has a use by date.

A quick web search shows Loctite 24 months un-opened and 12 months once opened.

Fasteners where you use thread lock are very often safety critical so to bserve the use by date!

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SJ

posted on 24/9/18 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

I think the point he's trying to make is that thread lock has a use by date.

A quick web search shows Loctite 24 months un-opened and 12 months once opened.

Fasteners where you use thread lock are very often safety critical so to bserve the use by date!



That's news to me. I've still got some in the toolbox from the late 80's! [don't worry, I haven't used it]


View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
jps

posted on 24/9/18 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SJ

That's news to me. I've still got some in the toolbox from the late 80's! [don't worry, I haven't used it]



When I Googled it I found a *lot* of traces of people asking 'does threadlock have a shelf life' and then them getting a lot of responses like this!

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 24/9/18 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Well, that's my 'learn something new every day' thing for today... my threadlock is about 3 cars old, which is close to a decade in old money.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 24/9/18 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
If this is true, and my Loctite bottle does not have any dates on it,

My car should of fallen apart back in 1991/2

steve





Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at




View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 24/9/18 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

I am sorry my predictive text ruins what should be clear information. I normally check LCB in bed before sleep, often it send me to sleep!!!

Yes Locktite does have a shelf life, once it is applied it is fine though.

I use this on critical components for medical equipment and we have to prove that it is within date when applied. This is how I know.

The deterioration in performance is unknown to me but I certainly notice a difference in between the stuff I handle at work and the 10 year old stuff in my garage!!





Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 25/9/18 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Hi all,

I am sorry my predictive text ruins what should be clear information. I normally check LCB in bed before sleep, often it send me to sleep!!!

Yes Locktite does have a shelf life, once it is applied it is fine though.

I use this on critical components for medical equipment and we have to prove that it is within date when applied. This is how I know.

The deterioration in performance is unknown to me but I certainly notice a difference in between the stuff I handle at work and the 10 year old stuff in my garage!!


Ok.
That´s what I thought.
I´ll consider all of the above comments next time I buy/use.
And if you consider "Use Before Date" it may not be that expensive to buy small tubes instead of the larger bottles -cheaper per ml, as they usually last a very long time... At the end of which, you just toss the remaining and buy another.





Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.