Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Material for chassis
TurboLocost

posted on 16/10/18 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
Material for chassis

Hello everyone, I did try and introduce myself but it wouldn't post it

I'm looking to build a locost/Haynes roadster

I'm a mechanic/Engineer by trade so have got tools and equipment to do it, I will be using box section steel for chassis

How much steel do people on here buy to build their chassis?

EDIT:
I have a Saab B204 still in a car, and am planning on using that engine and remapping to stage 3 (I have the software required) so would be pushing around 270bhp
I haven't decided whether to use a omega box, or to rear mount the engine and gearbox I have yet

If I rear mount I would utilise the Saab suspension and wishbones at least for mock up

[Edited on 16/10/18 by TurboLocost]

voucht
Contributor

Posts 229
Registered 22/5/11
Location 1

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Haynes roadster on the road since november 2014 bu

posted on 16/10/18 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi there,

If you want to build a Haynes Roadster, you will find the answer to your question here ("How much steel do I need for the chassis?"

http://forums.haynes.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8123" target="_blank">http://forums.haynes.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8123[url=http://forums.haynes.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8123]http://forums.haynes.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8123

Hope that will help

hughpinder

posted on 16/10/18 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
If you are thinking of going mid engined, I suggest you get the Midlana book - not cheap, but big_wasa (i think) on here has one for sale at the moment. It has a list of what to get somewhere in the book.
Have fun
Hugh

TurboLocost

posted on 16/10/18 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Ideal, that give me a rough idea of how much steel is required

I will likely build a 442 chassis as I'm 6 foot 1 and stocky

I considered using omega gearbox route with my Saab lump as it's close to the plans, but as I have a complete running Saab 93 a rear engined car is tempting as less parts to buy (no need to source rear diff, shafts, hubs, propshaft, gearbox etc)

I can simply use my engine and box as is, use the front Saab hubs on the rear etc, so then all I would need on the front is to make/source suspension and steering setup

Engine is a B204E (154bhp low pressure turbo) but apart from a bigger downpipe, it will run 270bhp stage 3, and as it would be a custom fit, it will have a custom exhaust from turbo anyway

I will aim to Q plate the car, will it need the CAT? As emissions are tested as visual only on a Q plate aren't they?

40inches

posted on 16/10/18 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TurboLocost
I will aim to Q plate the car, will it need the CAT? As emissions are tested as visual only on a Q plate aren't they?

MOT will be smoke only, but at IVA it will tested at the emissions for engine year

TurboLocost

posted on 16/10/18 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
So will leave cat on for IVA and stock map and just make an exhaust from what is on car, and then stage 3 remap afterwards with custom exhaust in 3inch
Nickp

posted on 16/10/18 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TurboLocost

I will likely build a 442 chassis as I'm 6 foot 1 and stocky

I'm over 6ft and getting on for 16st and find a std Haynes plenty roomy enough tbh
If you go for a 442 then none of the std bodywork that's available will fit.

TurboLocost

posted on 16/10/18 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Ok I will see if anyone in Cornwall has one I could look at!

I'm more thinking of that chassis style but go for sheet panels on it etc rather than buying body panels

I aim to build it for as low a cost as possible without cutting any corners.....

I did see if there were any plans for an Ariel nomad style vehicle with roof etc

posted on 17/10/18 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
Before I started building I met a bloke who had completed his already. I asked him how many lengths of 25mm box he had bought.
8 x 6M lengths he said, so I bought the same.

A few months later I bumped into him again and said Oi, I bought those 8 lengths for my chassis and had 2 left over.

He replied, So did I.

TurboLocost

posted on 17/10/18 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
But you can never have too much spare steel!

Always useful for more projects 😋

Does anyone know of a Ariel nomad style chassis plan? Or an Ariel atom style chassis plan?

Nomad is basically an atom chassis with a roll cage!

Midlana chassis looks nice and finished car looks like a cross between a 7 (front) and a 30's hotrod (rear)

40inches

posted on 17/10/18 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
Mid engined Locost here https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=213421

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.