Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel leak woes
bikecarbfred

posted on 3/11/18 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel leak woes

Right... I will try to explain the best I can. Car been stood 2 years in garage. POLO 6N 1997

Did a new build during that time, painting engine bay etc.

I turned on the ignition to check fuel supply is working and yes it was. Fuel pumping through into a can and the return line working aswell.

I then smelt petrol. Looked underneath and saw fuel pee-ing on the floor form under the tank. Turned off fuel supply and the leak stopped. Tank is almost full.

I then realised the leak was coming from back of the tank onto the anti roll bar. I believe this is where the fuel filter it.

I then switched on fuel supply and again , as soon as I switched it on. Urinating down on the floor.

The pump is within the tank. The only thing that is external is the tank it self and the fuel filter.

Why would car being sat for a few years cause a fuel leak. I'm sad because I can't move the car during the engine build, can only get stand jack in from one side.

CosKev3

posted on 3/11/18 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
It's probably a hose broken down,the ethanol in modern fuel destroys the hoses.
bikecarbfred

posted on 3/11/18 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
thanks
rusty nuts

posted on 3/11/18 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Seen more than a few alloy bodied filters corrode through as well as rusted fuel lines , 97 may be plastic ? Best bet is to get under the car and check but don't get petrol in your eyes or even worse your ears.
gremlin1234

posted on 4/11/18 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
I hope these exploded diagrams help
also I think you can get the pump out of the tank in-situ from above. (but as you say its most likely the filter or associated hoses )

fuel line; fuel filter - Polo/Derby/Vento-IND(PO) [EUROPA 1997 year]
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1997-158/2/201-201040/

fuel tank; gravity valve; vent hose - Polo/Derby/Vento-IND(PO) [EUROPA 1997 year]
https://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/polo+derby+vento-ind/po/1997-158/2/201-201005/

bikecarbfred

posted on 5/11/18 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for much. I will give these to the fitter who's coming around to replace the filter. I had a look at the top and the pump is fine and the hoses at the top also.

I think the tank feels plastic there for must be filter that must be corroded.

I can do job myself but i'd rather pay £40 than get under cars to get drenched in petrol.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.