Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rusty fuel tank inside- out....
StrikerChris

posted on 28/11/18 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
Rusty fuel tank inside- out....

Hi,
I have an old mg maestro I ran as my daily up until about 3 years ago. Before you all shoot me down it was a drunken eBay buy and I had a good 2+years hilarious motoring out of it,and a guestimated 40k miles for less than £500 including buying it in the first place!
I always had an issue with it sucking up crap from the tank,jamming the pump,an issue I solved temporarily (over 2 years) by zip tying another pump to the rear beam and swapping pumps over as and when it happened,hoping it wouldn't happen again before I had chance to peel the pump apart and hammer it back together.
Anyway now it's being spoilt with a new old t16 I ought to sort the root cause,and will attempt to get the tank off in one piece.Do any of you have good experiences of any products/methods of cleaning and sealing old tanks? 2nd hand I'd probably end up with the same issue,I could make one to fit in the boot if it comes to it but that's not ideal being a hatchback and I want it all to look standard and as terrible as it did in 1985.
Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 28/11/18 at 02:12 PM Reply With Quote
Id look at its shape and size to see if its fairly generic (assuming its under the rear seat?). I suspect the shape would be fairly similar to lots of other hatchbacks. Try and find a plastic one thats close and fab up some brackets for it.

Mistral Motorsport

rusty nuts

posted on 28/11/18 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank sealant from Frosts? I've never used it but they have been selling it for years
StrikerChris

posted on 28/11/18 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
That's a possibility yeah,but haven't found anyone in the maestro/montego/rover groups who've found anything.
That said they do seem a very strange lot and possibly aren't as helpful as they might be if I wasn't committing sacrilege to such a classic piece of British heritage....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StrikerChris

posted on 28/11/18 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Fuel tank sealant from Frosts? I've never used it but they have been selling it for years

Its that sort of thing I'm after decent reviews of to be honest.tank sounds solid,I didn't want to risk taking it off at the time as everything it's attached to looks crusty

indykid

posted on 28/11/18 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Can't you run a big (or couple of smaller) pre filters? I would have though the pump would be fine drawing through carb type paper filters. Not high pressure injection type filters, just something coarse enough to catch the lumps and the odd sparrow?

Classic bike forums might be a better source of reviews for the tank sealants. It always seemed an expensive deal for a car size tank, but the bike size kit was a far more acceptable cost

StrikerChris

posted on 28/11/18 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I always meant to get around to doing that but never did as I was using it every day.probably still will but I know the issue is 35 years of rusty tank I'd rather sort,and then use filters...
CosKev3

posted on 28/11/18 at 03:08 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a alloy one made up to fit underneath,doesn't need to go in boot.
My m8 runs a alloy fab place on bank top one estare st.martins,he would take it on

StrikerChris

posted on 28/11/18 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate.ill bear that in mind.i could make my own ,if it comes to it but someone who'll copy one is worth knowing.
cliftyhanger

posted on 28/11/18 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
For cleaning, start by getting the tank out and empty. Water and a couple ofhandfulls or nuts and bolts thrown in, then shake about. I have seen a video of a tank wedged into a cement mixer to tumble it round....

That will get just about all the scale etc off the tank surfaces. A really good rinse out, maybe some phosphic acid to kill off any remaining rust. Then some tank sealant if you wish.

There are soem big filters for pre-tank use, cossie I think are very free flowing. Or even the old diesel types should flow enough (that is the problem as fuel is being sucked and that isn't great for flow)

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 28/11/18 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've had experience with rusty old motorbike tanks where replacements aren't available.

I started off by removing the tank, swilling out all the loose crap (where possible), and then using electrolysis to gather the remaining crud. After that, I used POR15 tank sealer on the inside. Pretty sure I bought a kit that had cleaner/degreaser, prep/prime, then sealer to finish (essentially a 3 stage process). Hunt around online, as there's generally quite a big price difference between sellers. Last one i did was about 8 years ago, and tank looks great inside (well, through a borescope).

The only downside to this is that you have to remove any fuel pumps or attachments to the tank, and make blanks for the holes. We made small ali panels for the filler/outlet etc., but i suspect a few bits of masking or gaffe tape would also suffice.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Davedew

posted on 28/11/18 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look at the below link, might be helpful.
Boss at work swears by the stuff on his old Velocette tanks.

https://www.rust.co.uk/product/slosh-ethanol-resistant-petrol-tank-seal-7

HTH

mark chandler

posted on 29/11/18 at 12:17 AM Reply With Quote
I tried sealants on an old rusty landrover tank, it just replaced the lumps of rust with lumps of sealant stuck to lumps of rust, it was worse as small sheets covered the pickup so I dumped it.

Wedging in a cement mixer, nuts and bolts or sharp gravel is the way to go I recon, then when derusted slosh sealant in.

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/11/18 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Absolutely. Chemicals and even electrolysis does get rid of the rust scale that is stuck to the metal surface. I say stuck, but they come loose eventually causing chaos.
redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 29/11/18 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
After all these years do you really need to treat the inside. Why not remove the tank, tumble some old nuts and bolts, sharp gravel and when you are satisfied all the rust is loose and the inside nice and shiny, clear all the rubble out, dry the tank, refit and fill with fuel. Should last until the chassis falls apart.....
BenB

posted on 29/11/18 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'd fill it with 1:10 molasses in water, pump that out then full with petrol and drive into the sunset. I know people like electrolysis but that involves potential sparks and petrol vapour.
FatChapChipChop

posted on 30/11/18 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
For cleaning, start by getting the tank out and empty. Water and a couple ofhandfulls or nuts and bolts thrown in, then shake about. I have seen a video of a tank wedged into a cement mixer to tumble it round....

That will get just about all the scale etc off the tank surfaces. A really good rinse out, maybe some phosphic acid to kill off any remaining rust. Then some tank sealant if you wish.

There are soem big filters for pre-tank use, cossie I think are very free flowing. Or even the old diesel types should flow enough (that is the problem as fuel is being sucked and that isn't great for flow)

What has been said here about cleaning out applies .. I've then used this stuff, Slosh .. https://www.rust.co.uk/product/slosh-ethanol-resistant-petrol-tank-seal-7

Very good indeed. Helped seal a few ali tanks where the welds were found to be porous as well as an old Cortina tank badly rusted but basically still sound.

Cheers !!

Drive fast, don't look back!

alfas

posted on 1/12/18 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
flush the tank with water (if it would have a bottom drainage plug you might leavethe tank even inside the car):

than electrolysis is the magic-thing.

go to your local tesco, lidl or whatever...buy some cheapish chlor-bathroom cleaner (Domestos, ACE bleachign liquid ect.)

fill the tank with a mixture of water and above, take out your old battery charger (must be an oldschool one, not the modern electronic ones)...connnect minus to tank and plus to a metal-bar which you dip into the tank. the bar must be isolated electrically against the tank

tke care about good ventilation

after switching on the charger you should see some bubbles comming up and the mixture starts foaming.

leave the charger ON for several hours.....and the tank will be spot on clean inside.

the mxiture between water and bleaching liquid must be rich (2/3 to 1/3 water)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.