Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mk2 polo wiper failure options
Eviljohn

posted on 5/12/18 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Mk2 polo wiper failure options

Hi builders. Hope you're all well. I have an issue with an early mk2 polo i'm hoping someone can help with. The driver side wiper arm no longer moves. The grooves on the base of the arm have completely worn away. I'm on the hunt for a replacement arm but not holding out much hope. The 10mm ones are very hard to come by.
While looking for a replacement or just other options, i found a thread where someone had done a diy single wiper conversion on a mk3 polo. They had just removed the driver side arm, taken the passenger arm off and put it back on at a 45 degree angle. With the stock blade, it didn't cover a whole lot of windscreen but did appear to work. If i were to do this, is it possible to adjust/modify the linkage to give a different sweep angle, is it an mot failure if i don't adjust? The pic i saw had the wiper arm right in the passenger seat eye line at lark.
Are there any simple single or double wiper aftermarket kits anyone can recommend checking out?
Thanks for stopping by and thank you for any advice you're able to give.

gremlin1234

posted on 5/12/18 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I would have recommend that you ask at clubpolo.co.uk but see you have already ;-)

from your description, I guess the mazac base of the wiper arm has worn smooth, so the splines on the spindle don't grip

would it be possible to drill a small hole in the mazac surround and put a self tapping bolt though to lock it to the spindle?

are the splines a taper or straight fit?

[Edited on 5/12/18 by gremlin1234]

nick205

posted on 5/12/18 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
I had to replace the rear wiper arm on my 2007 VW Passat estate as it broke around the spline. New wiper arm was around £10 from a VW main dealer.

VAG brands have a large commonality of parts. If VW can't supply an arm for the Polo see if they can supply an arm for a another similar period VW (Golf etc.).

[Edited on 5/12/18 by nick205]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.