Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rear heated Screen Repair
Cubby

posted on 25/2/19 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Rear heated Screen Repair

My daughter has pulled the heated rear screen connector off of the rear screen . Can anyone help me with any suggestions on how to reattach it. Are there any repair kits available ? Suitable adhesives or special techniques needed?

Thanks

gremlin1234

posted on 26/2/19 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
you can get a solder glue,
quick search found
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Conductive-Wire-Glue-Paint-Soldering/dp/B00SRIITQ4

but also look at the 'alternatives' suggested

ps I once had a car where the steering rack had to have conductive grease so the horn would work!

Cubby

posted on 26/2/19 at 07:16 AM Reply With Quote
Looks promising .
Thanks

ianhurley20

posted on 26/2/19 at 08:54 AM Reply With Quote
I used this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/0-2ML-Silver-Conductive-Electrically-Repair/dp/B00HNHUZ08/ref=pd_sbs_60_3/259-0216712-6111813?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00H NHUZ08&pd_rd_r=f05845eb-39a3-11e9-bff0-f5df5dbf7aa4&pd_rd_w=G8hgm&pd_rd_wg=rK5Us&pf_rd_p=18edf98b-139a-41ee-bb40-d725dd59d1d3&pf_r d_r=4743NQP3RNKTF5YSEWP6&psc=1&refRID=4743NQP3RNKTF5YSEWP6

nick205

posted on 26/2/19 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Not had to repair one before so no experience of products or techniques.

I had to replace a broken rear screen a few years back and as it wasn't insured I got one from a breakers yard and had it fitted (bonded). The heating element and connector all worked fine on the replacement rear screen. If repairing it doesn't work it may be worth investigating this option.

James

posted on 26/2/19 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
Sell the daughter, buy a new screen!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Bluemoon

posted on 27/2/19 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Conductive silver paint used to be the way. sounds like you might need to bond the termnials back on as well..
Cubby

posted on 27/2/19 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Many thanks to you all for your replies apart from sell the daughter , she not too impressed with that suggestion but buy a new screen calmed her down !!
James

posted on 28/2/19 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cubby
Many thanks to you all for your replies apart from sell the daughter , she not too impressed with that suggestion but buy a new screen calmed her down !!

Kids are so fussy these days!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

nick205

posted on 28/2/19 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by Cubby

Kids are so fussy these days!!!

Don't buy a brand new screen (they're expensive)!

If you have to try and source a used screen and have it fitted. If it's bonded it's not a simple task, if it's held in a rubber surround it's hard work to fit and there's a risk of breaking the screen trying to get it to pop into place.

obfripper

posted on 28/2/19 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
If you're going to buy a screen, you may as well get out your biggest soldering iron and solder it back on - i have soldered several back on without shattering the glass.
A touch of flux on the joint and only heat until the joint flows, keep held in place with some long nose pliers until cooled enough.
If it's pulled the copper trace off the glass, unsolder the connector and find another spot on the copper to clean up and 'tin', then do as above.

Dave

Angel Acevedo

posted on 1/3/19 at 04:22 AM Reply With Quote
Check your insurance coverage.
Here in Mexico Windshields and windows are covered with a 20% of the cost of new window deductible...(sp??)
I don´t know what that´ll do for your coverage fee....
Regards
AA

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.