Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance
sevaun

posted on 28/3/19 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Insurance

Hi
Not sure if this post's in the right place, but I can't see an section that's more suited so here goes...My car has been sorned for quite a long time(10 years) so it's not been insured recently. I'm considering putting it back on the road, but I'm just wondering about running costs as I'm now a pensioner. What are you guys paying typically in insurance(and with who) costs nowadays for a Locost with a 1700 crossflow on twin 40's? I'm 65 and live in the North of England.

Cheers

Rich

David Jenkins

posted on 28/3/19 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I've just renewed mine with A-Plan - £114 Fully Comp - I'm a 66-year-old pensioner, live in a rural area that isn't penalised by the insurance companies, with one incident in my history. My mileage is limited to 1500 p.a.

My car isn't too different from yours - 1660cc XFlow with bike carbs.

sevaun

posted on 28/3/19 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks David, pretty much what I paid back in 2005, but I live in Bradford which has the worst insurance stats in the UK. 50% of the nomarks here don't even have insurance!
rusty nuts

posted on 28/3/19 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Probably worth making a few phone calls look in the insurance section of the forum for a few pointers.
40inches

posted on 28/3/19 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I am with A-Plan also, 70 year old just south of Sheffield and pay £149 for the 3 litre MK.
A-Plan offer monthly payments for not a lot more per annum

overdriver

posted on 28/3/19 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Admittedly I don't live 'up north' (Worcester) but I am a senior citizen (in fact more senior than any other contributor so far!) and I have found it difficult to pay much over £100 with A-plan for my 2.0 Pinto powered Tiger. Fully comp., clean record & limited mileage.

Certainly shop around but I would recommend including A-plan (Thatcham) in your enquiries.

Michael.

sevaun

posted on 28/3/19 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
A Plan seems to be cropping up a bit!
I have just remembered an issue that arose while trying to get a quote from Adrian Flux. The young lady asked if i would be using the car for motorsport.
I played the honest man and said yes I would be hill climbing the car from time to time, thinking if I was honest then i obviously wouldn't try to pull the wool in the event of an accident on track. She then catagorically refused to give me a quote siting their policy that they would not give cover to anyone who used the car for any kind of motorsport or trackdays. I did point out that probably 90% of their kit car customers took part in trackdays, sprints, hillclimbs and sprints etc etc. She was adamant that as I had declared it I would not get insurance from them! As you can imagine i wasn't best pleased and then took my business elsewhere and I'll never use them again.
I'll give A plan a call.

Rich

David Jenkins

posted on 28/3/19 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Incidentally, if you get a policy through A-Plan then you'll end up being insured by a company owned by LV. Nice to know there's a big company in the background...

Davedew

posted on 28/3/19 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Renewed my insurance with A-plan yesterday. £138 fully comp + commuting, 2 ltr zetec with bike carbs, 38yo, 3K miles a year, clean license.

Were a lot cheaper than Adrian Flux last year which is why I swapped the kit over to them.
Also got my daily insured with A-plan, has been for a few years. Always manage to do a deal with them.

ianhurley20

posted on 28/3/19 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I was with Adrian Flux but at renewal A plan came up with £89 fully comp 3k miles. I'm 67. Oops - after paying I had an oops day in the wet and the car was written off. I was insured through Adrian Flux £98 and 3k miles. It was LV who were the insurance company who were behind the deal and they were excellent. Assesor was on scene in 3 days and estimated cost of damage at 16k so full payout in a week or so and A plan refunded my payment as insurance didn't start until 6 days later.
Can't fault either AF or A plan. Pity I don't have a kitcar though anymore. Have to start again I suppose . If I do it will be car number 5....

UncleFista

posted on 29/3/19 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
We're also in Bradford *waves*, 2 middle aged brothers, car based in Bradford 4 , 2l Zetec , around £150-ish fully comp I think.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.