Author: Subject: brake caliper paint
bikecarbfred

posted on 29/4/19 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
brake caliper paint

i have a spray can of black VHT high temp

a can of proper 2k clear lacquer

a can of standard self etching primer

okay to do a thin coat of etch, followed by VHT then 2k clear coat of top

search the hell out of google, hard to find info about if these spray paints can handle the heat.

i know the clear 2k will be tough as anything. vht is high temp. has self etch got 200 Celsius ratings?

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/19 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Tbh I'd only use brush on brake caliper paint, its very thick and lasts ages plus halfords sells it for 7 quid
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bikecarbfred

posted on 29/4/19 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Tbh I'd only use brush on brake caliper paint, its very thick and lasts ages plus halfords sells it for 7 quid

yeah, it's just i've already got the above paints so thought best to use what i got, cheaper , aslong as it can do the jobs.

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/4/19 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Painting calipers is a fiddly job you don't want to be doing again cos you used the wrong paint....
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bikecarbfred

posted on 29/4/19 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Painting calipers is a fiddly job you don't want to be doing again cos you used the wrong paint....

your dead right there, hence why im asking in regards to the etch primer. wanna get some sort etch on it to prevent rust returning.

B33fy

posted on 29/4/19 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
The primer and lacquer might struggle with the temps. I would paint an engine with “normal” paints though not callipers and have done successfully on a few occasions, the brake callipers are likely to reach higher temps, 200c in road use more if used on track.

The good thing is the vht paint doesn’t need primer, though benefits from meticulous prep. If you want to lacquer get a high temp one to finish off. I used a thick enamel paint hand painted on my last brake upgrade.. took three coats and an eternity to dry. Will use VHT paints next time around.

[Edited on 29/4/19 by B33fy]

bikecarbfred

posted on 30/4/19 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B33fy
The primer and lacquer might struggle with the temps. I would paint an engine with “normal” paints though not callipers and have done successfully on a few occasions, the brake callipers are likely to reach higher temps, 200c in road use more if used on track.

The good thing is the vht paint doesn’t need primer, though benefits from meticulous prep. If you want to lacquer get a high temp one to finish off. I used a thick enamel paint hand painted on my last brake upgrade.. took three coats and an eternity to dry. Will use VHT paints next time around.

[Edited on 29/4/19 by B33fy]

Can VHT take 2K spraymax lacquer on top?

Mr Whippy

posted on 30/4/19 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need primer or anything else if you use brush on caliper paint, I've painted it on ones the have just been brushed down with a wire brush and they never needed a repaint years later. If you've used VHT paint before you'll know how poor that is at preventing rust...
bikecarbfred

posted on 30/4/19 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
yep vht is crap for over rust
Dingz

posted on 30/4/19 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Standard Callipers won’t reach 200c, seals will start failing at much over 150.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

johnH20

posted on 1/5/19 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Unlikely as it may sound I have used Hammerite successfully on rusty old calipers. I was a bit dubious about this advice from somewhere ( on here? ) but I track my supercharged MX5 and the brakes get a good work out. Does not look pretty close up but does the job - for me at least.
coyoteboy

posted on 1/5/19 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
As mentioned above, brake calipers don't get that hot. Normal body paint should be fine, and that's confirmed by a number of commercial sprayers I've seen on youboob tutorials.

40inches

posted on 2/5/19 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I used etch primer and standard body paint in rattle cans, still good 6 years later.
Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.