Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wheel weights hitting caliper issue
bikecarbfred

posted on 12/5/19 at 07:36 AM Reply With Quote
wheel weights hitting caliper issue

when the wheel weights are doubled up they hit the caliper. with single , they just go past it.

can wheel weights be placed more central?

for example trye is 185 wide, can wheel weight be placed around 110-120?

coyoteboy

posted on 12/5/19 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Technically you could but you might need more weight to achieve the same result. Your wheel balancer will know.

AdamR20

posted on 12/5/19 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I DIY balance mine with a static balancer, and never found position too critical. One layer spread out should be fine.
Slimy38

posted on 12/5/19 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
I was under the impression that when a wheel is balanced properly, there is an 'outside' and 'inside' element. I've seen some machines that just highlight what is needed at a certain point round the wheel, but others that have two scales marking weight position across the wheel as well as around it. And it might just be me but wheels seem 'better' when they're done on a double scale machine.

You should still be able to move them slightly out of position and still have the overall balance unaffected though. And even with the most obscenely unbalanced wheel I've only ever needed a single layer of weights (even if the strip of weights is about six inches long!!).

Edit: A quick Google and a random wiki page suggests it's the difference between a static and dynamic balance. A dynamic balance being the 'two scale' machines.

[Edited on 12/5/19 by Slimy38]

jelly head

posted on 13/5/19 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar issue years back on my hillclimb car, i just ripped off the weight that was hitting the calliper and moved it further inside the wheel, stuck some gaffer tape over it and never noticed any difference, that was on a front wheel as well.
steve m

posted on 13/5/19 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Ive had the same issue, but with just one weight, it would scrape on every turn,
I just ground off a tiny bit of calliper, that was about a couple of pieces of paper thick!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

bikecarbfred

posted on 13/5/19 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
bloody chipped my newly painted calipers.
will dab some paint into it and should be fine.

had the doubled weights removed and not only single.

clearance is about 2mm now.

nick205

posted on 14/5/19 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
Not experienced the issue myself.

I've seen tyre fitters use strips of weights that break apart to achieve different desired overall weight. They've always been stuck in a single layer to the rim though not stacked in layers.

[Edited on 14/5/19 by nick205]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.