Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Fail 6 points
mark.silcock

posted on 13/5/19 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
IVA Fail 6 points

Car had its test this morning in Nottingham, test was meant to start at 8am so on the road at 7am to get there in plenty of time. Tester emerged about 8:25am to start the test.

Failed on 6 items which is pretty good and all fail minor, wasn't expecting it to pass jut hoped it wasn't anything major as we purchased the car as an almost finished project and some of the work done wasn't great.


* Rear brake lights have no reflectors. (never checked them thinking they were OK on the car when purchased)
* Bolts holding the rear number plate holder on are too long could puncture the fuel tank in a rear collision.
* Couple of sharp edges on the exhaust mount
* Side mirrors not big enough. (seems a silly rule as the mirror section is big enough it's the casing that isn't big enough)
* Brake balance too rearward biased (hoping a clean up of front discs and new pads will sort that out, need to check adjustable bias ruling)
* Emissions (car is running poor so not surprised but did hope it wasn't going to be an issue with the 1992 engine)

We had to add some trim to the aero screen and adjust the headlights, the tester was lenient on sound as it was right on the limit at 4000rpm, also was going to fail the side repeaters as he didnt think they were visible at 5 degrees behind the car but when questioned about actual measurements from were they need to be visible he let it go.


[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/HgSSpiKYK2UEb9fE7[/img]

All in all a pretty good experience and not as stressful as I feared.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 13/5/19 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Some new fails there, thanks for putting them up. I didn't think the brake lights needed reflectors, although I know the rear of the car as a whole requires reflectors. Number plate bolts make sense although it wouldn't have occurred to me.

I don't get the side mirror bit though. Why does the size of case make a difference?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 13/5/19 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
Not to serious
Easy fixes only the emissions to ponder over





I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to wee my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark.silcock

posted on 13/5/19 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Some new fails there, thanks for putting them up. I didn't think the brake lights needed reflectors, although I know the rear of the car as a whole requires reflectors. Number plate bolts make sense although it wouldn't have occurred to me.

I don't get the side mirror bit though. Why does the size of case make a difference?


I dont get the mirror either to be honest, considered challenging it as a misinterpretation.

Here are the dimensions from the IVA manual.

9. An exterior mirror must be a minimum of 40mm high and 70mm long, and
be able to incorporate a measurement parallel to the height of the rectangle at least 70mm in length within the lens (see Note 2 & Figure 1).

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/LLvu465kNLNynG1G8[/img]

These are the mirrors we have installed.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/spa-formula-mirror-black-right-hand-side-spa
The dimensions of the mirror meets the minimum dimensions just failed on the 70mm high parallel to the length.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark.silcock

posted on 13/5/19 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
Not to serious
Easy fixes only the emissions to ponder over


Yeah pretty minor.

The complication with the emissions is we want to get it setup on the rolling road as its not running right, (wont accelerate past 3000 rpm) however we fear the engines head gasket is not in great shape now its had a decent run, so we will have to sort that prior to it going to the rolling road. Then the retest.

Kicking myself for not rebuilding the engine when it was out of the car but hey I need a new to do list

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 13/5/19 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark.silcock
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Some new fails there, thanks for putting them up. I didn't think the brake lights needed reflectors, although I know the rear of the car as a whole requires reflectors. Number plate bolts make sense although it wouldn't have occurred to me.

I don't get the side mirror bit though. Why does the size of case make a difference?


I dont get the mirror either to be honest, considered challenging it as a misinterpretation.

Here are the dimensions from the IVA manual.

9. An exterior mirror must be a minimum of 40mm high and 70mm long, and
be able to incorporate a measurement parallel to the height of the rectangle at least 70mm in length within the lens (see Note 2 & Figure 1).

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/LLvu465kNLNynG1G8[/img]

These are the mirrors we have installed.
https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/spa-formula-mirror-black-right-hand-side-spa
The dimensions of the mirror meets the minimum dimensions just failed on the 70mm high parallel to the length.


I think it may be the length of the mounting arms aren't long/tall enough to get the required rear view.
These are mine at Nottingham IVA centre, They passed.
Description
Description

This is what they look like now
Description
Description

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark.silcock

posted on 13/5/19 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't that require a measurement off other things? These were failed purely on the size of them, he didnt bother with the full mirror test due to them failing.

What round brake lights are those on yours, do they have a reflector in them as well?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 14/5/19 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark.silcock
Wouldn't that require a measurement off other things? These were failed purely on the size of them, he didnt bother with the full mirror test due to them failing.

What round brake lights are those on yours, do they have a reflector in them as well?


Rereading your post, I think that you have answered your own question
"The dimensions of the mirror meets the minimum dimensions just failed on the 70mm high parallel to the length."
So it failed on the 70mm height requirement, you need mirrors with a taller glass.
You can borrow the mirrors I used for the IVA if you need them.
When you say "Reflector" do you mean the requirement for a red reflector, or the silvered bulb reflector?
I used these eBay Item if your lamps don't have the silvered reflector!!!
If you don't have the separate red reflector, I used these eBay Item You can see them below the stop/tail lamps.

[Edited on 14-5-19 by 40inches]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark.silcock

posted on 14/5/19 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
These are the lights that were failed due to not having a reflector element. They look the same as yours?

https://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/nas-rear-lamps-set-95mm

There are no additional reflectors installed on the car currently, I just didnt consider there were not reflective.

What I dont get with the mirror dimensions is if there has to be a 70mm height dimension whats the point of a minimum of 40mm?

Ah just spotted the round reflectors below the brake lights! Ignore me.
[Edited on 14/5/19 by mark.silcock]

[Edited on 14/5/19 by mark.silcock]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 14/5/19 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
It's not lack of reflectors in the brake lights you've failed on then, it's lack of reflectors.

What does "...see Note 2 & Figure..." Say/show?

[Edited on 14/5/19 by adithorp]





"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 14/5/19 at 09:17 AM Reply With Quote
"What I dont get with the mirror dimensions is if there has to be a 70mm height dimension whats the point of a minimum of 40mm?"

Exactly that. The height has to be 70mm but not the whole length, with a minimum of 40mm and the shape has to encompass the rectangular dimension. Clear as mud?
To be honest, if you analyse the logic behind many of the IVA requirements you will have a brain meltdown.
You just have to do it and move on

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark.silcock

posted on 14/5/19 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
It's not lack of reflectors in the brake lights you've failed on then, it's lack of reflectors.

What does "...see Note 2 & Figure..." Say/show?

[Edited on 14/5/19 by adithorp]


Yes I wrongly assumed the brake lights had reflectors in them.

Image of mirrors is here, cant figure out how to get it to show properly.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LLvu465kNLNynG1G8

[Edited on 14/5/19 by mark.silcock]

[Edited on 14/5/19 by mark.silcock]

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 14/5/19 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
So mirror must be big enough to fit a 40x70mm rectangle within the glass AND have a minimum height of 70mm at its highest point. It's the mirror face size you've failed on, not the housing.





"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 14/5/19 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
So mirror must be big enough to fit a 40x70mm rectangle within the glass AND have a minimum height of 70mm at its highest point. It's the mirror face size you've failed on, not the housing.


Exactly. The grey area in the IVA diagram is glass not the housing.

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [ 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.