Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Chain drive BEC long distance reliability
jimgiblett

posted on 18/5/19 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Chain drive BEC long distance reliability

Anyone done any long distance motoring with a chain driven BEC? We are talking >2k miles in 10 days.

Thinking next project may be rear engined but worried about the reliability of a short chain over long distances.

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/5/19 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
Chain oiler? Motor bikes do long runs no bother, just carry a spare chain but tbh 2k isn't really very far
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 18/5/19 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Chain oiler? Motor bikes do long runs no bother, just carry a spare chain but tbh 2k isn't really very far

Yes I am a biker. Motorcycles have much longer chains. Short chains run very hot, oiler will help a little but not much.

Carrying space chain and sprocket is a possible solution but wanted to know how long the chain/sprocket will last before maintenance required.

daviep

posted on 18/5/19 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
I used to be involved with Global GT light race car which used a 600cc Yamaha Thundercat engine coupled to rear axle with a short chain.

We always used Renthal chains and high quality chain lube but still chain life was very short.

Might be worth speaking to some racers currently using the same setup as you are proposing.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

jimgiblett

posted on 18/5/19 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
I used to be involved with Global GT light race car which used a 600cc Yamaha Thundercat engine coupled to rear axle with a short chain.

We always used Renthal chains and high quality chain lube but still chain life was very short.

Might be worth speaking to some racers currently using the same setup as you are proposing.

Yes this is the challenge how short life were you getting?

wombat258

posted on 18/5/19 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
When I started to race sprints I found that the chains wore out very quickly (1 meeting), especially on high speed circuits. Tried a variety of aerosol lubes, but even the best lube resulted in chain temperatures over 150C. After installing a Scottoiler the chain operating temps dropped to 60C, and the chains last over 2 seasons. I still apply aerosol lube every second race to be sure.
jimgiblett

posted on 19/5/19 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wombat258
When I started to race sprints I found that the chains wore out very quickly (1 meeting), especially on high speed circuits. Tried a variety of aerosol lubes, but even the best lube resulted in chain temperatures over 150C. After installing a Scottoiler the chain operating temps dropped to 60C, and the chains last over 2 seasons. I still apply aerosol lube every second race to be sure.

Scottoiler sounds like a plan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.