Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Project Egress
Slimy38

posted on 14/7/19 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Project Egress

Has anyone else come across this recently? I was watching a 'This Old Tony' youtube video yesterday where he talked about making a part for Project Egress, a replica of the Apollo 11 hatch. Turns out there's a total of 44 different builders, all making individual parts for the one door!!

I think it's so fascinating how different engineering and fabrication techniques can be brought together, it's well worth tracking them down and watching them build their individual parts.

https://airandspace.si.edu/events/project-egress-build

DanP

posted on 16/7/19 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
I was watching the NYC CNC video where they made the handle mechanism, it’s a great idea to spread all the tasks around and astonishing the amount of engineering involved and on the flip side of it that despite all that amazing design the simple decision to make the door open inwards rather than outwards was the cause of the deaths on the Apollo 1 flight.
DanP

posted on 16/7/19 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ps This Old Tony is amazing, I love the mix of humour and great skills
scudderfish

posted on 17/7/19 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DanP
I was watching the NYC CNC video where they made the handle mechanism, it’s a great idea to spread all the tasks around and astonishing the amount of engineering involved and on the flip side of it that despite all that amazing design the simple decision to make the door open inwards rather than outwards was the cause of the deaths on the Apollo 1 flight.

But it would also make the door safer in space where pressure differential is expected, the same as doors on airliners. What killed the Apollo 1 astronauts was not the door, it was not considering what a dumb idea it was to have flammable material in a 100% oxygen environment.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.