Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Reliant Kitten Project
HowardB

posted on 23/7/20 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
it looks very impressive,...

I like the approach, at this pace I feel it entirely possible that you will finish the JB-Kitten before Binky is complete

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

John Bonnett

posted on 23/7/20 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
it looks very impressive,...

I like the approach, at this pace I feel it entirely possible that you will finish the JB-Kitten before Binky is complete

I wish I had your confidence Howard. I seem to have been wading through treacle for weeks now but I do feel that do today's progress is a bit of a landmark.

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/7/20 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
So how are you going to paint it? the bodyshell that is. Reason I ask is what about those companies that clean and dip shells? Seeing how much effort your putting into this it seems worthwhile and getting it completely painted inside and out. I mind reading about older Rolls Royce's which like yours were hand built and painted on the outside beautifully but inside they would rust out like crazy cos they were not dipped.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 23/7/20 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
So how are you going to paint it? the bodyshell that is. Reason I ask is what about those companies that clean and dip shells? Seeing how much effort your putting into this it seems worthwhile and getting it completely painted inside and out. I mind reading about older Rolls Royce's which like yours were hand built and painted on the outside beautifully but inside they would rust out like crazy cos they were not dipped.

On the Lightweight I sprayed it before panelling. I'm not sure on this one but at the moment it's not too high on the list.

ettore bugatti

posted on 26/7/20 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
I can' t wait to see the screen frame on the chassis.

Touring just wrapped the steel frame with cloth dipped with probable a nasty forbidden chemical by now for the Superleggera bodies.
3m has got a tape for that same purpose, but I read epoxy paint on the steel frame is enough protection.

John Bonnett

posted on 26/7/20 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
I can' t wait to see the screen frame on the chassis.

Touring just wrapped the steel frame with cloth dipped with probable a nasty forbidden chemical by now for the Superleggera bodies.
3m has got a tape for that same purpose, but I read epoxy paint on the steel frame is enough protection.

Neither can I EB ha ha!

Outside to outside of the tubes at the base of the screen measure 1440mm which is 30mm wider than the outside of the tyres. So I have plan A and plan B.

Plan A is to increase the rim size from 4.5 to 6 inches with all the widening on the outside. This might be enough but if not,

Plan B which is Plan A + Widen the rear axle and front chassis cross member.

John Bonnett

posted on 26/7/20 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure many of you think I've made a fundamental mistake in opting for the Fiesta windscreen because of it size in comparison with the chassis and there are times when I would have to agree particularly today when I offered the screen up and found the curvature of the bottom edge stretched as far forward as number two spark plug. So not only is there a width problem but we now have one with the curvature as well.

I'm so far down the road now that I'm refusing to start again so I'm hoping all will be well. I do have a few ideas and will keep you posted.

[Edited on 26/7/20 by John Bonnett]

HowardB

posted on 26/7/20 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
necessity is the mother of invention,.. I am sure that you are more than inventive enough,...

remember this ?

as stated before I look forward to each update post!

[Edited on 26/7/20 by HowardB]

Howard

John Bonnett

posted on 27/7/20 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I forgot to say. EB thank you for your restraint in refraining from saying "I told you so!". Much appreciated.
ettore bugatti

posted on 28/7/20 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Well, you are just sharing your project online. You dont have do anything what we say you could do.
But it is always interesting to see what challenges you face and to think off what solutions are possible.

I didn't see the overhang of the windscreen over the engine coming though. Are there any pictures?

Btw there is an English youtube channel called pedalbox, where they are building a fully bodied car from scratch. Might be worth a look.

John Bonnett

posted on 28/7/20 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ettore bugatti
Well, you are just sharing your project online. You dont have do anything what we say you could do.
But it is always interesting to see what challenges you face and to think off what solutions are possible.

I didn't see the overhang of the windscreen over the engine coming though. Are there any pictures?

Btw there is an English youtube channel called pedalbox, where they are building a fully bodied car from scratch. Might be worth a look.

No, no pictures. I was quite shocked and went to lie down in a darkened room. So, after a bit of a re-think I've decided to move the A and Posts backwards by 280mm which I'm hoping will do the trick. As soon as I've got something to show I'll put a few photos on.

Thank you for the YouTube link. What a great forum this is, so much help and plenty of ideas. Let's just hope the site holds together.

John Bonnett

posted on 28/7/20 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
A very watchable series of videos, well presented and some really nice work particularly interesting to me as they are on a parallel course. Thank you for the link.
John Bonnett

posted on 1/8/20 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Ive offered up the windscreen frame onto the two verticals and amazingly everything is pretty true and this time, well clear of the engine. Width is a concern but we'll have to wait for the wheels to see how it's all going to work (or not!) Overall height from the ground to the top of the roof is going to be around 49-50 inches with a ride height of 150mm.

HowardB

posted on 1/8/20 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Oooo.. I like that...

Howard

John Bonnett

posted on 1/8/20 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
The next bit that has to happen is to cut out the transverse tube at the base of the windscreen. This is a pity and totally unforeseen but it clashes with the demister ducting of the dashboard. My initial thoughts were that having an electrically heated screen the ducting would be surplus but unfortunately it also connects the the face level outlets so it has to stay. I particularly want to use the Fiesta dashboard because it is built to modern standards and contains all the switches and gauges which will save quite a lot of money. I now have a 2002 Fiesta Ghia to use as a donor so it makes sense to go this way.

The dashboard is actually structural in that it contains a substantial cross tube which connects to the A posts and the steering column mount. So that's next on the agenda and then put in the steering column. This will define where the pedals and pedal box are located.

starterman

posted on 1/8/20 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Very impressive John. I can see a visit on the cards soon. Socially distanced of course

Cheers
Mike

John Bonnett

posted on 2/8/20 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by starterman
Very impressive John. I can see a visit on the cards soon. Socially distanced of course

Cheers
Mike

Love to see you Mike. I play every day so whenever convenient to you. You have my number

Cheers
John

John Bonnett

posted on 3/8/20 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I've braced the uprights to ensure they stay vertical and removed the transverse tube to make space for the dashboard.

I'm still undecided about the body shape and hav done a few more sketches. Here's one showing the car in Estate body form.

[Edited on 3/8/20 by John Bonnett]

John Bonnett

posted on 4/8/20 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
I've just fitted the 13inch x 6J rims with new Toyo Proxes and the new width is bang on what I calculated it should be, so a triumph for theory agreeing with practice. At present the outside to outside tyre dimension is 50mm more that the A post width but by keeping the screen frame where it is and moving the uprights back a few inches will reduce the width by a further 40mm and match up nicely with the dashboard fixings.

The photo shows the windscreen supporting tubes carry on getting wider apart after the screen channel begins to curve inwards. Once the uprights are moved to the new position that triangle can be cut off.

So, all in all a very good result and I can think about moving on, rather than having to lose valuable time (and money) in widening the front and rear axles.

[Edited on 4/8/20 by John Bonnett]

[Edited on 4/8/20 by John Bonnett]

John Bonnett

posted on 9/8/20 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I've moved the verticals supporting the windscreen frame to the point where the screen is starting to curve inwards reducing the overall width by 90mm which brings the A post well inside the wheel measurement outside to outside.

Unfortunately the separate dashboard that I intended using as a pattern has had a smack in the side which wasn't obvious until it was offered up to the frame. The passenger side mounting bracket is distorted so I shan't be able to use it. Fortunately, I've just bought for an extremely modest price,a Fiesta Ghia which is sound and even has an MOT. So there will be a bit of a delay now until I can strip the parts out of that.

You might think it odd that I'm getting involved with the dashboard at such an early stage but in this case it is structural and has the mounting for the steering column which needs to go in to define where the pedals and pedal box are going to fit.

It should be a huge bonus in having a complete car which will yield so many useful parts which if purchased individually would vastly exceed the buying price of the car. We'll see how it works out.

[Edited on 9/8/20 by John Bonnett]

[Edited on 9/8/20 by John Bonnett]

rdodger

posted on 9/8/20 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
Hi John

Will you use the fiesta doors & glass or at least the structure to make life a little easier?

John Bonnett

posted on 9/8/20 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Hi John

Will you use the fiesta doors & glass or at least the structure to make life a little easier?

I'm going to milk the donor car for all it's worth Roger. Air conditioning, electric windows, door mirrors but the glass may be a bit short front to back. But I've spoken to our local windscreen man and he tells me that they have a man who cuts glass to size for tractors and agricultural vehicles so I'm hoping to be able to use the mechanisms if not the glasses.

rdodger

posted on 9/8/20 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Would doors from a 3 door be suitable? They would be longer?
John Bonnett

posted on 9/8/20 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Would doors from a 3 door be suitable? They would be longer?

Yes they would Roger and a much better shape as well. Perhaps a pair will come up locally.

ettore bugatti

posted on 12/8/20 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
This detailed drawing of the fiesta might help in planming out.
http://www.smcars.net/threads/ford-fiesta-mkiii-donated-by-alexk.1022/#lg=post-1250&slide=0

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.