Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Looking for a first kit car
tomlyon89

posted on 19/9/19 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Looking for a first kit car

Hi all,

New to the world of kit cars - but have been thinking about getting something for a couple of years now - finally its time to take the plunge.

My technical knowledge isn't great yet, so im looking at getting something pre-built which I can upgrade as i go - but want to be able to get out in it straight away (if the weather holds!)

Definitely looking at a seven type car which can be used for road use and a go at track days. I have been pointed towards MK Indy / GBS Zeros and Raw Strikers - but open to anything!

I know there is a lot out there - so i was hoping to get an idea of;

- Makes and models to look out for
- Makes and model to stay well clear from
- Essential things to look out for in listings
- 'Nice to have' bits

Any advice is welcome!

Budget is around £6k

Thanks in advance!

peter030371

posted on 20/9/19 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Best advice, if you haven't already done it, is go for a ride or two in a seven style car.

I am on my second Striker (first was a Sylva live axle model, now a RAW IRS model) and for road use the IRS does make a difference to the comfort on the road. The Striker is very small and some find it too tight but I am just over 6'2" and have always managed just fine.

This is nothing to do with me but as a first seven looks like a really good starting point https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/raw/raw-striker------2005/9992057 its an old engine but the car looks well built (from the photos) and is a good price, you will have change for your first few track days

RichardB123

posted on 20/9/19 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in the same boat!

So far I have decided:
Not a Robin Hood

Thats it

peter030371

posted on 20/9/19 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
....and one other thing, don't be seduced by big power. Anything over 200bhp will be a handful until you have built up experience plus only add to the cost of the car and maintenance without making it any faster in real world driving (unless you are racing it). My 145bhp Striker was great on the road and even better on the track. I chased and passed many higher power cars on track days in that (the braking distance is unbelievably short), sevens are fast because of the lack of weight and can out brake, out turn and out corner any normal road car no matter how many bhp it has

My second Striker now has 189bhp (from a Duratec) and I am trying to go faster (on track) by improving the handling/braking setup and training for the large nut behind the steering wheel (that's me ) rather than just throwing (endless) money at the engine.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 20/9/19 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
My Fury may well be for sale shortly. Would be within your budget - Don't rule out full body kits; many of them use essentially the same chassis as their seven counter part so offer similar benefits, but with better aero dynamics.

My advice If your technical knowledge is not great is to go for fuel injection if possible, and the most modern engine your budget will allow. Older engines with carbs require more regular maintenance, and some knoweldge or willingness to learn. I've have had crossflows, CVHs, Zetecs and now K-Series - the big difference was the fuel injection, which means virtually no maintenance between uses.

I've had a Velocity, Striker, Fury, Gemini and Tiger. The Striker was my favourite, but the build holds more importance i my opinion that the brand at the budget you are looking at.

Where abouts in the country are you? some local LCBer might be able tot ake you for a run.

RichardB123

posted on 20/9/19 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting.

Should I steer clear of the CVH engines?

A lot seem to have a pinto.

Norfolkluegojnr

posted on 20/9/19 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
CVH is fine, but can be noisy/tappety. Not a lot of tuning potential without going the turbo route.

Pinto engines can be tuned well, but are very heavy.

Burton cover the ford engines in their tuning guides: Linky

If you are new to kit cars, then they'll all feel really fast to you!

tomlyon89

posted on 20/9/19 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the help all. Fortunately i have a friend with a MK Indy and have been out in that before (what turned me onto this path to start with!) and another friend with a Westie.

I had seen the striker advertised and its a great looking car but from the research I did - thought space may be difficult. Im a little over 6'2 but maybe its worth a look.

What are thoughts on GBS Zero's?

I know they derive from a Robin Hood which i've been informed to stay well clear of - but research suggests things have improved for GBS?

I had seen this one around- https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GBS-Zero-kit-car-with-private-plate-Caterham-lotus-7-Robin-Hood-Track-car/274006093137?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC. SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Da74cc46192b34e2ba987f4c75c5168e2%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D143384641313%26i tm%3D274006093137%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A3883ad7b-db24-11e9-8949-74dbd180ea84%7C parentrq%3A4b6bd9ad16d0abc1607eb67aff993309%7Ciid%3A1

Any thoughts?

Thanks again!

Riskyshift

posted on 20/9/19 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Mines the Striker on Pistonheads and if it's any help my son, who is 6 foot, can drive it fine. But the only way you'll really know is to come and give it a try!

Happy to answer any questions

Ian

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.