Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: My old locost has come home !!
Deckman001

posted on 6/1/20 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
My old locost has come home !!

Well I've gone and done it again.

I've bought back my old locost project after finding out the current owner hadn't touched it since i sold it to him nearly ten years ago.
Am getting it picked up tomorrow and brought to a garage near me where i'll have to strip it back down and replace lots of the kit.
Having driven a Caterham for a few days recently i expect i'll be trying to squeeze in a few upgrades along the way, but my initial thoughts are to get it back to a driving stage and then deciding on either the IVA route or track day machine.

Jason

steve m

posted on 6/1/20 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Please for you, but wish mine could come back

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Deckman001

posted on 6/1/20 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Steve, I guess some of the WLM crew may get asked a few questions while i put it back together and decide on final route !!
Deckman001

posted on 3/2/20 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
Here's a pic of the progress so far.

Jason

Mr Whippy

posted on 4/2/20 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Here's a pic of the progress so far.

Jason

it's very small, how do you fit in it?

(I think that is a thumbnail pic btw )

[Edited on 4/2/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Deckman001

posted on 4/2/20 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote

Sadly I couldn't re-size the pic, will try harder next time once I've worked out how to

Jason

James

posted on 6/2/20 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Great news mate!

I'm not sure I ever saw it finished actually!

Cheers,
J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Deckman001

posted on 6/2/20 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sadly I never managed to get a pic of it just before I sold it about 10 years ago, it did have mainly blue bodywork but with black front arches and a yellow nose cone.

It drove perfectly from Croydon to Reigate using trade plates as all electrics apart from the speedo worked and was virtually ready for SVA at the time apart from the soft bits.

When bought back, I found the brakes seized and bodywork wrecked, so they were my first steps getting it back to how it was. Next will be mirrors and ignition system to be replaced, then with any luck, and i hope i get some, it won't be long till i have to get it to Kent to get it tested, that'll be a nice first drive out in it for me, no pressure !!

Jason

bob

posted on 6/2/20 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Jason nice to see you back,shame that's ten years wasted.

Hope you are keeping well mate, if you need anything give me a shout as i still have few bits left over in the garage.

Decent autojumble Sunday 29th February at Ardingly if you are interested, i'm planning to go and catch up with couple of old members.

Deckman001

posted on 7/2/20 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi ya Bob,

Long time no see !!

At the moment I am building up the soft bits for IVA and i still need to make sure what front indicators i need if they can help cover up as much as possible at the front chassis/top front wish bone area ?

Any advice from anyone is very much appreciated ! !

Am thinking about some front indicator pods like Caterhams use, or maybe just stalks that stick out each side like Andy's blue car Indy had?

Jason

bob

posted on 9/2/20 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
Incators

Jason

I used the same indicators on the nosecone as Andy and extended them by 5" using black plastic 15mm conduit,this extension actually worked well for me at the test.

The indicators were rear motorcycle and i'm pretty sure a picture should be still available in my photo archive.
[img]http://[/img]

[Edited on 9/2/20 by bob]

Deckman001

posted on 9/2/20 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Wow Fab pic Bob,

That's a great pic just like what i needed to know !!

Jason

Just a thought, how do i get pics uploaded? I've tried JPG and JPEG's but only the first pic of the new bodywork was accepted ?

bob

posted on 9/2/20 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Jason

It seems to have changed a little since i was posting pics on here, much easier to sort the avatar from the photo archive now.

Have you tried loading pics to your archive first ?

Deckman001

posted on 9/2/20 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Bob,

Yeah I took pics on my phone, emailed them to my desk top comp, then saved them, jpg, but apart from the first time i managed to upload the new pic, i can't seam to get any others uploaded using the same method

Jason

bob

posted on 19/2/20 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Jason sadly i can not make the Ardingly Autojumble on Sunday 23rd Feb, but i am still going to the classic bike jumble and show on Sunday 29th March at the same venue.
Deckman001

posted on 19/2/20 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Bob,

That's a shame, I was hoping to catch up with you all, I'm hoping soon that all I'll need is soft bits for IVA

Jason

flak monkey

posted on 22/2/20 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome!

I often wonder what happened to mine....

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Deckman001

posted on 22/2/20 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by flak monkey
Awesome!

I often wonder what happened to mine....

Well I hope it fared better than mine !!

I've had to change the bodywork and sort out issues relating to the ten years left in a garage with builders rubble all over it, but I am glad i got it back and talking to people on here keeps me getting it nearer the IVA start line.

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 27/2/20 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
So far so good i think, I've refurbished the front calipers so working great now along with changing the brake fluid and bleeding all round, changed the bodywork and refitted the lights. Engine has had an oil change along with a new ignition system and a carb drain down and clean out. Fitted the now required reversing light as I had already pre wired it. When i took the centre console off i found that I had done a proper job with the hand brake that i hadn't remembered, i had also fitted the speed sensor required which i also hadn't remembered !! They were a great result !!

So engine now runs, timing set and drives forward and backward in the garage, what a feeling again !!

So as far as my limited knowledge can see, I only have a few bits left to do before it goes for a shake down, sort out and mimic mot from an MOT centre boss i know well.

The missing bits are,
1. Front indicators extendable by about 90mm to get them to less than 400mm from outside edge. ( anyone got any they used for IVA and now replaced ?)

2. Interior mirror that lets me see the line behind the car during the IVA, will need to check the car when out of the garage to see what I can see with the near side and off side mirrors in case they possibly make the interior unnecessary ?

3. Rear boot cover, I like the softbits for 7's version, so am hoping they are still making them to order.

Then it's just IVA soft bits that cover bolts edges and possibly the shock base area.

With the above in mind, would anyone with IVA experience possibly be able to pop along one evening or at a weekend to look it over with a critical eye to give me some advice as to what I've missed and should do before I book the IVA test ?

I am based in South Croydon, Surrey.

Thanks

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 2/3/20 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote

Throttle connection.

Fred W B

posted on 3/3/20 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
When I use an electrical connecter on a cable like that I first cut the black plastic insulator off, makes it look a bit neater

Regards

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Deckman001

posted on 4/3/20 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Fred,

Thanks for that, I've now ordered a new end of cable thing which will get fitted this weekend and hopefully can then test run the motor once again to put a smile back on my face

Jason

Deckman001

posted on 9/3/20 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Bob,

I've sent you a U2U,

Just wondering what bits left in the garage are ?

I've almost finished the main car build, just a few bits of tidying up ready for IVA, I think I've found some rubber trim to cover the side of the cockpit internal edge to hide that, I need to sort an IVA proof cover for the cockpit side radius by the side of the seat, was thinking of getting some alu to bend to shape and turn down the sides to cover the whole top radius and then cover it with the same soft material that I've covered the tunnel top?
Indicators are getting there, have got some, just need to extend them about 90mm and make it look professional !! eek.

Jason

quote:
Originally posted by bob
Hi Jason nice to see you back,shame that's ten years wasted.

Hope you are keeping well mate, if you need anything give me a shout as i still have few bits left over in the garage.

Decent autojumble Sunday 29th February at Ardingly if you are interested, i'm planning to go and catch up with couple of old members.

Deckman001

posted on 10/3/20 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
It's getting there

New Look
New Look

Yes I know the front indicators are a fail, I'm getting them sorted this weekend I hope

Jason

[Edited on 10/3/20 by Deckman001]

Deckman001

posted on 16/3/20 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Revised throttle linkage, thanks to Sera

Description
Description

Jason

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.