Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo Pinto 100e Build Series
theduck

posted on 22/1/20 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo Pinto 100e Build Series

Well I suppose it is about time I show you all what is replacing the Robin Hood, so here it is, the first video in a project car series. Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

For those of you who havent seen them posted elsewhere, there have been a couple of videos showing some mini-projects going on prior to the start of the build, so you may be interested in catching up on this playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhF8mZsmx_w&list=PL-_tWQqniU8kE9fgNjIv3RsQQ0AwjvdbN

[Edited on 22/1/20 by theduck]

theduck

posted on 29/1/20 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote

Nothing too exciting in this weeks video I’m afraid as work hasn’t properly started, but some explanation as to the plan for the car and the parts we will be using to achieve those goals. Hope you enjoy &#128522;

theduck

posted on 5/2/20 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote

About time we started work on making the 100e a roller again

theduck

posted on 12/2/20 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Its 7pm (ish) on a Wednesday, so it's new video time! In this weeks video we finish making the 100e a roller again! We make a custom panhard bar, make brackets for the front suspension components, and finalise the steering setup. For such a mix match of components it has all gone together surprisingly well and even the ride heights are close enough to make it work so this is the first big milestone ticked off.

Next week we'll be ticking off another milestone, getting the engine and gearbox properly mounted in the car.

theduck

posted on 19/2/20 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
&#8203;
Seems I forgot what my own release schedule was when i posted last week, so no engine mountingtoday, instead you get to see me starting work on repairing the scrap yard fibreglass bonnet. The more I work on this bonnet, the more I have come to realise, it really wasnt as good as it looked in the photos, and realistically it wasnt worth the "saving" over buying a new one. Having said that, if I had bought a new one then I wouldnt have had much I could get on with while the car is still at my mates, so in a way, it has been quite nice to have this to focus on during the weekday evenings when i cant get over to work on the rest of the car.

PorkChop

posted on 19/2/20 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
Painting resin over gelcoat cracks isn't the best way to fix them if you don't want them coming back...
theduck

posted on 19/2/20 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
You are right of course, but it was a case of I don’t have any gel coat so wasn’t going to do a proper repair and i thought it was worth trying. Long run i expect I’ll change this bonnet, and possibly sooner if I have issues with it.
theduck

posted on 27/2/20 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
&#8203;
Was out at a local car meet last night so didn’t get chance to share the link to this weeks video until now. In this one I finish off repairing the bonnet and get both boot and bonnet painted ready to go on the car.  I am pretty happy with the results too, when I was painting them I had my concerns but now its all dried it is looking pretty good.  Sure, if I got out some 1500 grit wet and dry and wet sanded them it would look a lot better, but I don't think it justifies going to that extreme, especially as I am likely going to replace the bonnet in the future anyway. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSxil9HgSM8

theduck

posted on 4/3/20 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
It's that time of the week again! In this weeks video the Turbo Pinto setup gets thrown in the general direction of the 100e's engine bay and we take a look to see where it lands. All in all, it wasnt too bad, the transmission mount was simpler than expected as all the bits we needed to bolt in the one I bought were already fitted to the car, but the engine mounts didnt go quite as smoothly...

theduck

posted on 11/3/20 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
This weeks video is a bit shorter than normal, but I wanted to try a new style of video and see what you all think. I wont do every video like this, but I have another, longer fabrication video in the works that I intend to do in this style, but I wont if you hate it! So make sure you give me some feedback so I have chance to change next weeks video if I need to!

In this video, we make some custom billet parts especially for making things fit the Ford Prefect 100e project car. It never ceases to amaze me how many hours go into things like this, but the end result is worth it.

[Edited on 11/3/20 by theduck]

Abe

posted on 13/3/20 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
This is great! Nice vids and work &#128522;&#129321;&#128076;
theduck

posted on 18/3/20 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
&#8203;
In this weeks video we build a new tube front end for the Ford 100e Prefect project car as unfortunately the last setup was removed before we bought the car. Plus side is we get to build it how we want! With that complete we finally have something we can mount the radiators too - Yes, for those who arent familiar with the previous car, we have 2 rads in this setup! - as well as get the bodywork on at least a little bit straighter than it was before 

&#8203;

theduck

posted on 25/3/20 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
&#8203;
It seems a very long time ago that I first drove down to view this car for it to only now be coming home, but that's because it was at my good friends Steve Walford Motorsports until now. Now that the major bits of work that Steve is helping with are done, it is time for the 100e Prefect to come home and for me to get started on fitting all the parts I have been gathering for it. In this video I set about tackling the boot lid fitment, which doesn't sound like it should be that difficult, but it was far more complicated then it should have been. Also get one of the kirkey seats fitted so can start working out where everything else is going to live!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekM82nbwOWc

theduck

posted on 1/4/20 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Now, where does this bit go?

That's a question I see my self asking a lot over the coming weeks, so first thing first better formulate a plan! I need to work out where everything is going to live, and of course, the plan I had in my mind looks like it isn't going to work out. Still, in this weeks video we make lots of progress, the pedal box is in, the battery is in, the handbrake is half in, we make a CAD template for one of the two switch panels, and even make plans for plumbed in fire extinguisher!
Now, where does this bit go? That's a question I see my self asking a lot over the coming weeks, so first thing first better formulate a plan! I need to work...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw3yf6GvF7A

theduck

posted on 8/4/20 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
&#8203;
It's that time of the build where I want to start building a completely custom wiring harness for the 100e, but not old is there a lot of wiring in this video, I receive a very generous gift from a subscriber! First up though is making FIVE battery leads, 1 ground, 1 to the FIA battery cut off, 1 to the bulk head connector, 1 to the alternator and last but not least,  1 to the starter! With those out the way it is time to turn attention to the main fuse board, which leads on to the fancy start button set up I want to use! It really is never ending this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zg2hvZubVM

&#8203;

theduck

posted on 15/4/20 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
In amongst all the work I have been doing on the wiring, I have been doing small periods of work on other bits and pieces to try and keep me sane! This video is a collection of the work I did on the turbo and the intake manifold setups and I am very pleased with the results. The new (used) Subaru TD05 turbo exhaust housing is in immaculate condition and was well worth buying as it fits the new turbo, and everything else perfectly. If only the inlet manifold was as good a buy! I am still in shock by not only how dirty it was but that I found so much crap inside it! Yes, I know, it a youtube video and if I was sat watching someone else's video where this happened, I would think it is fake too, but I swear its real. I am half tempted to message the eBay seller I bought it off and find out if they had engine problems though. In a way I am thankful it was so dirty because if it wasn't I might have just bolted it on and run it as it was, and would have destroyed my engine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYPG9RFAJRE

theduck

posted on 22/4/20 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRXq5IKLOUs - Making a wiring loom from scratch is hard work and takes a lot of planning, but it will be totally worth it when it is all done! As well as working on the wiring I install new switch panel and centre console, some of my intellitronix gauges and my pidash.

Golfedrocks

posted on 22/4/20 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Haven't come across your channel before - gives me something new to watch

Great work btw

theduck

posted on 29/4/20 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Golfedrocks, sorry i missed your comment before! Glad you are enjoying the videos

In this video the main focus is getting the wiring finished! To that end, we set about installing our megasquirt ecu in to the 1958 Prefect 100e Pinto Turbo Project Car. It's a setup we used previously on the kit car build, but the looms a mess, but not because we did a bad job last time, oh no, we were smart, we knew it was going to be pulled out and go into something else, so what we did was extend our brand new loom so when we pulled it it out we still had a completely new loom to work with on the new car, and it was totally worth it! We also get a little bit of plumbing done while we are at it, and the car is really coming together well.

ALSO, I will be doing a Q&A video in the coming weeks, so if you have any questions you want me to answer in that, just let me know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00B5bh1srEQ

theduck

posted on 6/5/20 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
In this video we modify parts to make them work on the 1958 Ford Prefect 100e Pinto Turbo Project Car. First up is the compressor housing of our new turbo which needs a boost take off for the wastegate, then we take the cleanest completely original Ford Pinto EFI fuel rail we have ever seen, and cut it up! Talking of cutting things up, we cut up the steering column support too! In the end though, we make everything better and the car is getting closer to the point where we take it all apart again... 

https://youtu.be/Fs6gXUs4E1k

theduck

posted on 13/5/20 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdtBhFJuyHs 

I've not been looking forward to making the brake and fuel hardlines I have to say, and I wasn't wrong! Despite that, so far so good, the they've come out looking nice, though I haven't pressure tested the plumbing yet so it could still be a disaster!

theduck

posted on 21/5/20 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
&#8203;
  https://youtu.be/x8Cyn-3aoAw

Something a bit different this week, answering your questions about the 1958 Ford Prefect 100e pinto turbo project car build and more!  Normal service will resume next week.

&#8203;

theduck

posted on 27/5/20 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
NEW VIDEO LIVE NOW - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG751u6WRq0 - In this video I am mostly cutting up tube and sticking it together with unicorns because (a) my welder is broken and (b) I suck at welding anyway! The end results though, well, I am very happy with them and cannot wait to get them properly welded up!

theduck

posted on 3/6/20 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQUOUH9q3G4

This weeks video we take the first step towards the final build of the 1958 Ford Prefect Turbo Pinto project car build by removing the Volvo 940 axle and giving it the clean and paint we should have probably done months ago! While we are at it though we fit brand new brake discs, refurbished Volvo 2 pot calipers (Thank you again to my mate Richy for the super refurb!), and a new handbrake cable from the ever helpful team at https://www.skandix.de/en/ As I was doing all that, it seemed silly to put the Volvo steelies back on, so I finally get round to fitting the custom wheel spacers from superforma and try the RenaultSport Clio 197 17' alloy wheels on for size. Sure they need a refurb, but man do they look the part! Cannot wait to get them refurbished and fitted with the bigger tyres we are going for!

theduck

posted on 10/6/20 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting Cosworth 4-pots to the 1958 Ford Prefect Turbo Pinto

https://youtu.be/76lH3Tlz5y4

FINALLY! It seems both an eternity and only 5 minutes ago that I called Steve Walford Motorsport to discuss modifying these calipers to fit the kit far setup, and then just after they were done plans changed and we started the ball rolling in the 100e instead! How does this relate to the 100e? Well we carried the uprights over from the kit car, and the wheels, and so the brakes should drop straight on just like we intended, and boy, are they gonna look good!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.