Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Trackdays for just us lot
jossey

posted on 28/2/20 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Trackdays for just us lot

I'm planning on expanding trackday Solutions to do more trackdays for smaller numbers than most trackday companies do, maybe 30 on smaller tracks and 35 on bigger tracks.

I think more advance days only so people with powerful cars would be popular but after the collective opinion.

https://www.facebook.com/Trackdaysolutions/

Costs would be similar to the group trackday costs like javelin etc but focused on longer track time and less traffic.

Am I going mad or is it worth a punt.

Currently out in the r1 mk I sit in traffic behind a million mx5 etc

David

[Edited on 28/2/20 by jossey]

[Edited on 1/3/20 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 29/2/20 at 12:31 AM Reply With Quote
I like the idea of advanced trackdays. Something like rma do but cheaper. But nothing more frustrating than being held up by fast cars with average drivers, so aim to promote advanced drivers over fast cars.

[Edited on 29-2-20 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

cliftyhanger

posted on 29/2/20 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
I agree it is less about the car and more about the driver (except on the straights, which is no test of skill)

I have done a number of trackdays, and all sessioned. However, some have been on teh basis of trackday experience, which seems to work pretty well. Others the sessions were on clubs, so 3 different clubs had a session each. This is a tad trickier as it has a mix of experience. But on the whole I (as an average driver) find club days well behaved and organised with people having respect for all other drivers. Slower ones do move out of the way etc, faster drivers give space when overtaking and so on.

But there are plenty out there with fat wallets and very fast cars who are terrible drivers. And likewise idiots with little respect for others in all sorts of motors who are just a liability.

So the problem is going to be filtering all those out. Not easy.

The other option is to go along to test days where it will be serious driving, but don't expect etiquette!

AdamR20

posted on 29/2/20 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Following with interest - would happily pay a little extra to (virtually) guarantee more clear laps.

As clifty says, the issue would be 'filtering' out the right customers, no easy task... perhaps potential customers would have to present you some videos of their previous track days to 'qualify'? A little elitist perhaps and not everyone takes videos, though. Tough one.

Please keep the thread going with updates, keen to see where this goes. Cheers!

jossey

posted on 29/2/20 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info and guidance all.

I think having the following days is my an

Amateur day with free tuition
High performance day
High competence day

Filtering will be on trust but is its a private club we would ask the right questions in terms of number of trackdays and car details.

I think cost wise would be 20 quid max more than the other companies but offer free lunch and a free passenger. So probably cheaper than others.

It would mean joining our club which is 120 quid a year but you would get £120 off your first booking with us.

You join as amateur, sport class or high competence.

You would be able to book your first track as you join so no need to wait. We would start small in terms of tracks etc

I'll keep you all in the loop.

Thanks

David Johnson

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AdamR20

posted on 29/2/20 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds super - thanks David.
pekwah1

posted on 2/3/20 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Also watching with interest, definitely something i'd be interested in!
johnH20

posted on 2/3/20 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have done quite a few ( 100? ) over the years with a variety of organisers. The commercial days are plagued with all the types you identify. My best experiences have been with Lotus on Track who seem to have the right ethos much as you are aiming for. For the sake of £10 joining fee it might be worth checking out one of their events to see what you think. ( You don't need a Lotus, I often take my Cyclone or my Supercharged MX5 , everything is welcome as long as the driver buys in to the protocols).
TimC

posted on 2/3/20 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by johnH20
I have done quite a few ( 100? ) over the years with a variety of organisers. The commercial days are plagued with all the types you identify. My best experiences have been with Lotus on Track who seem to have the right ethos much as you are aiming for. For the sake of £10 joining fee it might be worth checking out one of their events to see what you think. ( You don't need a Lotus, I often take my Cyclone or my Supercharged MX5 , everything is welcome as long as the driver buys in to the protocols).

As long as its road legal. I wanted to book Abbeville and was politely told that I wasn’t welcome.

jossey

posted on 3/3/20 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
For the collective our days won't need road legal cars but we wouldn't want dangerous cars either so an expectation that the car wouldn't fall apart and hurt anyone and be safe for everyone.

As we do a lot of test days we know the cars need tuning and setting up and that's fine we want to minimise the red flag time and keep the track running as much as possible.

Thanks

David Johnson

Bunje

posted on 3/3/20 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
id definetly be interested in this.
TimC

posted on 3/3/20 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
For the collective our days won't need road legal cars but we wouldn't want dangerous cars either so an expectation that the car wouldn't fall apart and hurt anyone and be safe for everyone.

As we do a lot of test days we know the cars need tuning and setting up and that's fine we want to minimise the red flag time and keep the track running as much as possible.

Yeah - that’s good to know. MSE are the other TDO that I can’t use for the same reason - which is frustrating as they run a lot in the South West. (I built my car to race/track but with IVA regs in mind so that I could if I want/need to.)

Deckman001

posted on 30/5/20 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

just to let you know, i just tried to book a track day at Lyddon for mid June, and the site is now taking bookings so it looks like they are all likely to be open around mid June so go and have some fun I'll only be a little jealous that my car might not be quite ready and in the IVA application process by then

Jason

dhutch

posted on 30/5/20 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Been a while since I did a trackday, mainly use the car for autotesting these days, but I am always interested in a kitcar/7type/etc trackday.

Daniel

bi22le

posted on 23/7/20 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I'm back in the market and would love to do a track day with you lot.

I am also going to see if CKC (I think or JPSC focussed) are doing one soon.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.