Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: how bad is it? (cv19)
02GF74

posted on 27/3/20 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Corbyn
They've now suddenly realised that they have to spend money to invest in the state, as we have always said as a party, and they have come around to a lot of that position.

I don't believe that man, Corbyn trying to score political points from this disaster.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-52048213

Maybe it's just me but err no, Jeremy, no government could have possibly prepared for the number of hospital cases and what would have been the point to spend millions/billions on hospital beds/equipment/staff for an unpredicted and hopefully one off incident??

SJ

posted on 27/3/20 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting that the government recently downgraded Covid 19 as not being an HCID.

"As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) in the UK."

"Definition of HCID
In the UK, a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) is defined according to the following criteria:

acute infectious disease
typically has a high case-fatality rate
may not have effective prophylaxis or treatment
often difficult to recognise and detect rapidly
ability to spread in the community and within healthcare settings
requires an enhanced individual, population and system response to ensure it is managed effectively, efficiently and safely"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/high-consequence-infectious-diseases-hcid

Seems bizarre to do this just before the lock down & strikes me the last line of the definition is exactly what we are doing.

perksy

posted on 27/3/20 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
I'm just glad the PPE is now arriving

We had a load arrive yesterday, It was like Christmas

Schrodinger

posted on 27/3/20 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'm finding it difficult to understand the Govt. telling us to order food online for delivery and the Supermarkets telling us to ignore this and come into the shops. My wife has tried to put together an order, Sainsbury's won't deliver to us (Aviemore) were we have had orders from them before, Asda won't deliver, Tesco had to book three weeks in advance and order a shopping list which although everything was available when we ordered now most things have been deleted by them, and yet we are being told there are no shortages and plenty of slots for delivery.

Keith
Aviemore

steve m

posted on 27/3/20 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Our Tescos delivery was due yesterday 1000-1100

I had a phone call just after 8 am to say, that they could not deliver, as not enough delivery drivers working,
My choices were, collect from the depot myself, or cancel the order, they were the only options !!

It was a difficult decision to make as we are self distancing, due both of our health problems, but I agreed to collect

I will be honest, that the whole process was very well thought out, and I will do it again, the staff were brilliant

We needed our shopping, and if I collect it, then the vulnerable and elderly can have a home delivery

Also, two weeks ago, I arranged to have some bricks and stuff delivered today, as I was taking next week off, and planned on some well needed garden work, any way a Guy from Travis perkins called on Tuesday, to advise that they were closing, and they could not deliver, and would refund me my order, I was fine with this, and expected so, but he was so shocked I didn't kick off, as every call had made had done so before me, he had to listen to a tirade of abuse ??

I really do feel sorry for any one who has to listen or face abuse, at this incredible time we live in, surely we should all be pulling together, well 2 meteres apart !!!

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

craig1410

posted on 28/3/20 at 02:09 AM Reply With Quote
I would suggest that anyone who is not in the "vulnerable" list should take appropriate precautions but try to get food and other essentials in person and leave the delivery slots available for those who should be shielded from the virus. But be sensible and only buy what you can use in the short term - don't become part of the overbuying problem!

I was at our local Lidl this evening (around 6pm) and it was quiet, orderly, well stocked and we left with everything on our list except for toilet roll and bread flour (no surprise...). I even got some medicine (aka Wine, beer and Ritter Sport chocolate! )

Upon return home I went through the usual routine of washing hands before unpacking and then washing them again after unpacking while avoiding touching anything, especially my face.

As for building supplies being cancelled, I also have an annoying situation where I've built two large (12 foot square) raised beds to plant potatoes and vegetables. We bought 2 bulk bags of soil and 2 of compost but I was working on the basis of cubic meters but a bulk bag is not a cubic meter so we needed extra. I ordered the extra material a day or two before the lockdown but now the supplier has said they are closed and will deliver once restrictions lifted. I don't really understand why they can't deliver aggregates because it should be easy enough for a loader to load the bags and a driver to deliver them without anyone coming any closer than 2m from each other. If Tesco can deliver potatoes, why can't I get soil to grow potatoes? I didn't kick up a fuss or anything because we're all doing our best but this makes no sense to me. That all said, we're much more fortunate than most and can at least plant half our potatoes and veggies while we wait for our soil and compost to be delivered for the second bed.

Back on Covid-19 topic, have any of you seen this webpage on the New York Times? It lets you play with various parameters related to the virus and see the potential outcomes. The model probably isn't perfect but it gives you and idea of the effect on infections, hospitalisations and mortality rates when you change certain parameters. Quite interesting!

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/25/opinion/coronavirus-trump-reopen-america.html?referringSource=articleShare

Stay safe everyone!

[Edited on 28/3/2020 by craig1410]

David Jenkins

posted on 28/3/20 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Went to Waitrose last Wednesday - hardly anyone in there, and only a few empty shelves. Security man at the door limiting numbers (not needed while we were there), everyone keeping well apart from others, taped lines on the floor at the checkouts to indicate where to stand. They'd even set it up so that people exiting had to take a separate route from those entering.

[Edited on 28/3/20 by David Jenkins]

perksy

posted on 28/3/20 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Had Ocado delivery last night and only two substitutions

To be fair I think they've all upped their game now

They remembered the Stella which was the main thing

Benzine

posted on 28/3/20 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by perksy
They remembered the Stella which was the main thing

Sure that wasn't a substitution for drain cleaner?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 28/3/20 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Oof, blinking flip!!!

A further 260 UK deaths in 24 hours.

The epidemic is expected to peak in the UK in the next two to three weeks.

Until then, it is likely the number of people confirmed to have the coronavirus and the number of people dying after testing positive for the virus will continue to grow at a similar pace - doubling every two or three days.

[Edited on 28/3/20 by 02GF74]

daviep

posted on 28/3/20 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
Oof, blinking flip!!!

A further 260 UK deaths in 24 hours.

The epidemic is expected to peak in the UK in the next two to three weeks.

Until then, it is likely the number of people confirmed to have the coronavirus and the number of people dying after testing positive for the virus will continue to grow at a similar pace - doubling every two or three days.

[Edited on 28/3/20 by 02GF74]

Not really a surprise is it, we are trailing Italy by about 2 weeks and we have taken the same measures at roughly the same stages as Italy did. I hope we hope we have more success with our social distancing measures than Italy but I am scared that too many people are still not taking this seriously enough.

I'm actually stuck in Norway with work at the moment (if I go home to UK I will be laid off) but to be honest I feel much safer here, country was locked down much sooner, 1 death and a total of 800 cases when lock down announced compared to 400 deaths and 8000 cases in the UK. Things seem to be under control here in Norway, daily deaths are still in single figures and social distancing is much more relaxed.

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

<<  2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.