Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lock down activity - cycle turbo trainer
nick205

posted on 6/4/20 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Lock down activity - cycle turbo trainer

Looking for lock down activities I decided to get my cycle turbo trainer out for some indoor cycle fitness. Had a spin earlier and it was good to get in the saddle.

I know there's other cyclists on here, anyone else turbo training at this time?

02GF74

posted on 6/4/20 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
My main hobby is cycling off road. I have a turbo trainer but don't use it as it is very boring and as there is no air movement, I end up sweating gallons. I'm aware that there are fancy trainers with video, sound, the ability to race against others and a big fan would help reduce the sweating, but unless the government has recently banned leaving the house for exercise, I do just that.
After 5 months of mud, the trails are totally dry, so I make use of them. Snag is every Tom, Dick, Sally and their dog Spot is out there too.

PS did you get a Ti frame?

[Edited on 6/4/20 by 02GF74]

snippy

posted on 6/4/20 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Not using my turbo trainer but instead using my Gym quality Spin bike I bought last year. Much prefer it to the turbo trainer now. There`s just something about using these bits of kit with some decent thumping tunes in your ears! Happy pedalling.
JAG

posted on 6/4/20 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've been turbo-training interspersed with some mountain biking on my local trails...

...however they are also infected with "every Tom, Dick, Sally and their dog Spot"

Bloody Boris

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

paulf

posted on 7/4/20 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a turbo trainer a few years ago but gave up on it after a few attempts, preferring to go out on the bike even when its cold but think i will have to dig it out and use it as I went for a ride out yesterday and there were groups of joggers and dog walkers even out in the countryside .
Maybe set it up in the garden and get some music on.
Paul.

SJ

posted on 7/4/20 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
We have a decent programmable magnetic exercise bike which works pretty well, so no need for a turbo trainer, though I haven't used it as I've been out on my bike as normal, which means usually less than once a day!

This one:

Description
Description

[Edited on 7/4/20 by SJ]

Deckman001

posted on 7/4/20 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
No Turbo-trainer here, just an old exercise bike put in the garden a while ago that looks very old too.

I started again with it this morning and just did 30 mins, alternating hard work riding and less hard work every change of music while listening to the radio, so only hard work outs every 3 and a half mins so not too bad, just a good workout, nothing like the London To Brighton bike rides i did a few years ago.

Jason

nick205

posted on 8/4/20 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
My main hobby is cycling off road. I have a turbo trainer but don't use it as it is very boring and as there is no air movement, I end up sweating gallons. I'm aware that there are fancy trainers with video, sound, the ability to race against others and a big fan would help reduce the sweating, but unless the government has recently banned leaving the house for exercise, I do just that.
After 5 months of mud, the trails are totally dry, so I make use of them. Snag is every Tom, Dick, Sally and their dog Spot is out there too.

PS did you get a Ti frame?

[Edited on 6/4/20 by 02GF74]

No Ti bike yet I'm afraid.

The turbo can be boring and yes you sweat, but I have a fan, tv and Spotify music to pass the time. I too have seen the likes of Pelaton and Zwift, but I'm not paying for them.

I like to MTB and road cycle. The turbo is doing me for miles and fitness and MTBing with my eldest son covers that bit.

No funds (or space) for a gym type bike. I like the fact I can fit my road bike to the turbo and then pack the turbo away after.

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/4/20 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have a recumbent one in the living room, I do use it quite often but like said above it's very easy to overheat. I think you can still go out cycling though, I use mine to keep my knee joints from getting sore (office job woes), kids use it as a climbing frame
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 8/4/20 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
I have one but don't use it as much as I should - I find it takes a lot of mental effort to just sit and work at peak levels.

That said, it's better than nothing.

jps

posted on 8/4/20 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Given the weather we're having if I was inclined to use the turbo i'd just be out on my bike. As it is I am busy juggling kids whilst working from home, so I'm going for a run when I can instead (more calories per min!). Luckily i'm in fields and woodland a couple of minutes after I've left the house so it's easy to avoid people...
se7ensport

posted on 8/4/20 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
I’m hammering my turbo trainer 3 days a week to Sufferfest, it really does make riding indoors interesting and a challenge.

With luck I’ll get the mountain bike out over the weekend and go through the local woods and trails, ideally it’ll be pissing down so every Tom, Dick and Harry will have decided to stay in rather than walk two abreast; that said, the fun part of my ride you can’t walk anyway.

Bamo

posted on 8/4/20 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Got a little bit of zwift in and some riding in the lanes, love it.
nick205

posted on 11/4/20 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the feedback people, very useful.

I'm still using mine and it enables me to get some fitness miles indoors while we're all in the house. I can do it while being in for the kids.

Music (Red Hot Chilli Peppers toady) on Spotify really helps me focus on the effort and pass the time. Getting hot is an issue, a fan helps a bit with that. I'll keep at it for now.

Angel Acevedo

posted on 12/4/20 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I have a recumbent one in the living room, I do use it quite often but like said above it's very easy to overheat. I think you can still go out cycling though, I use mine to keep my knee joints from getting sore (office job woes), kids use it as a climbing frame

Do you find yourself crossing a leg below the other?

I found out that this was causing knee pain.
It disappeared when I quit doing that.
I still find myself doing it, but as soon as I notice, I go back to normal seating position.
HTH.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.