Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Stamping VIN with those 5mm stamp sets
christim

posted on 8/4/20 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Stamping VIN with those 5mm stamp sets

Hi all,
Lots of threads about ways to put the VIN on the chassis (mostly suggesting engraving). However I've got a set of 5mm stamps, the sort all over ebay. Has anyone got experience going through IVA with these? Is it acceptable?
Done a test below here's what mine looks like (would then fully weld the final version onto the chassis per IVA manual)







____________________________
My Build Thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/50/viewthread.php?tid=200874

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 8/4/20 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Don’t try stamping box section, it will deform!
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 8/4/20 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
I stamped a strip with the VIN and then welded it to the chassis and it went through the IVA no probs.





Keith

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
robertst

posted on 8/4/20 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
I printed out the vin on a sticker to use as a stencil, got a pen knife and cut out the letters and numbers and then etched it onto a chassis rail using a battery charger, with a cotton bud, some water and salt on the cathode (negative). Then some paint and clear laquer to avoid rust. Way tidier than stamping and no broken fingers

[Edited on 8/4/20 by robertst]

[Edited on 8/4/20 by robertst]





Tom

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 8/4/20 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I got some nice plates engraved ready for SVA... and then completely forgot to fit them!

Rolled up to the test and it was first thing the guy checked! Fail!

Fortunately, being a very reasonable guy he let me go and find a set whilst he did the early test stages. I borrowed them from a local business (left my phone as security) ran back to the test centre and stamped them into the chassis there and then!

Anyway, the tube didn't collapse. It may have been a 19mm tube with would resist the crushing force better? Maybe. It was 16 years ago nearly!





------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member   James 's Aim
starterman

posted on 8/4/20 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I was just going to engrave the chassis direct.
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
christim

posted on 8/4/20 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm.....Having tried several times to stamp in a straight line and get letters\numbers that are clear I've decided my OCD can't handle it! And I'll have to go for a neater and clearer option

A few good suggestions above and in other threads. Cheers all!





____________________________
My Build Thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/50/viewthread.php?tid=200874

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 8/4/20 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
I tried stamping a plate and the result always looked awful, gave up and printed a word ocument with the chassis number, cut it out, pasted it onto a piece of 25 x 3 mm steel and used a dremil thing to engrave the number. It worked well so did the same on part of my cassis and it looked good and later passed IVA. That's what I would do next time.





My build blog http://ianhaynes20.wordpress.com IVA passed 3/10/16
written off 23/9/18
Aug 2019 completed Tiger Avon with ST170 on TB's
Now restoring 1968 Ginetta G4
And - a series 1 Land Rover - don't ask why!

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
907

posted on 8/4/20 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by christim
Hi all,
Lots of threads about ways to put the VIN on the chassis (mostly suggesting engraving). However I've got a set of 5mm stamps, the sort all over ebay. Has anyone got experience going through IVA with these? Is it acceptable?
Done a test below here's what mine looks like (would then fully weld the final version onto the chassis per IVA manual)






I stamped a plate and then welded it into the chassis then sanded off the welds.


plate to be welded on chassis
plate to be welded on chassis


VIN number onto chassis
VIN number onto chassis







View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
907

posted on 8/4/20 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by christim
Hi all,
Lots of threads about ways to put the VIN on the chassis (mostly suggesting engraving). However I've got a set of 5mm stamps, the sort all over ebay. Has anyone got experience going through IVA with these? Is it acceptable?
Done a test below here's what mine looks like (would then fully weld the final version onto the chassis per IVA manual)






I stamped a plate and then welded it into the chassis then sanded off the welds.


plate to be welded on chassis
plate to be welded on chassis


VIN number onto chassis
VIN number onto chassis





I then realised that when I fitted the ally sides I covered the number up. Had to cut a slot.
We all make mistakes, as the hedgehog said as it climbed off the yard broom.

Description
Description







View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 9/4/20 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by 907
quote:
Originally posted by christim
Hi all,


plate to be welded on chassis
plate to be welded on chassis


VIN number onto chassis
VIN number onto chassis





I then realised that when I fitted the ally sides I covered the number up. Had to cut a slot.
We all make mistakes, as the hedgehog said as it climbed off the yard broom.

Description
Description



Haha - I managed to do that twice, first time I moved the engine mounts onto the number, did it again and then put a fiberglass side panel where it was so then did it again, successfully, above the brake master cylinder, don't have a hedgehog though





My build blog http://ianhaynes20.wordpress.com IVA passed 3/10/16
written off 23/9/18
Aug 2019 completed Tiger Avon with ST170 on TB's
Now restoring 1968 Ginetta G4
And - a series 1 Land Rover - don't ask why!

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulc

posted on 9/4/20 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I initially stamped my chassis using a set of punches.

However afterwards I was concerned the VIN wouldn't be readable once the chassis had been powder coated.
(Maybe i needed a bigger hammer )

So i had an off cut of 2mm plate engraved by a local place (Think they charged £20) and welded it to the chasssis.


Turned out to be the right call as the stamped VIN is barely visable now the chassis has been powdercoated.


Paul

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
designer

posted on 9/4/20 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Go to the local engravers when all this virus stuff is over. It's worth a few bob.
They're cheap and will engrave whatever you want. Your name and chassis number is a good start.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
christim

posted on 9/4/20 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulc
I initially stamped my chassis using a set of punches.

However afterwards I was concerned the VIN wouldn't be readable once the chassis had been powder coated.
(Maybe i needed a bigger hammer )

So i had an off cut of 2mm plate engraved by a local place (Think they charged £20) and welded it to the chasssis.


Turned out to be the right call as the stamped VIN is barely visable now the chassis has been powdercoated.


Paul


Thanks Paul that's my exact concern! I'll be giving engraving a go with my Dremel today, see how that turns out





____________________________
My Build Thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/50/viewthread.php?tid=200874

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 9/4/20 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 907

I then realised that when I fitted the ally sides I covered the number up. Had to cut a slot.
We all make mistakes, as the hedgehog said as it climbed off the yard broom.

Description
Description





This looks pretty much "Factory" to me
It was a lucky mistake.






Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
907

posted on 9/4/20 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Angel Acevedo
quote:
Originally posted by 907

I then realised that when I fitted the ally sides I covered the number up. Had to cut a slot.
We all make mistakes, as the hedgehog said as it climbed off the yard broom.

Description
Description





This looks pretty much "Factory" to me
It was a lucky mistake.







There's not many of us old craftsmen left.






View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
theduck

posted on 9/4/20 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
I had a trophy shop engrave a piece of steel for me and then that was welded in. While I was at it I got them to engrave the manufacturers plate too
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
christim

posted on 30/4/20 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
Just for completeness, updating on the final outcome for this....decided to go with dremel tool with a high speed cutter attachment, printed out the VIN and taped it to the bar then cut.
I can live with the home-made look, haha







____________________________
My Build Thread http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/50/viewthread.php?tid=200874

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
shortcircuit

posted on 4/8/20 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have just received a VIN from DVLA, 12 days since application. Last page attached and marked "Important - Action Required" requiring confirmation that VIN has been stamped or permanently embossed and signed by a "Dealer/garage"???

How do you get round this if self engraving, which I intend to do?

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
ianhurley20

posted on 4/8/20 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Become creative! Do you know any petrol pump attendants? Anyone who is actually a mechanic - er sorry - a technician or .....





My build blog http://ianhaynes20.wordpress.com IVA passed 3/10/16
written off 23/9/18
Aug 2019 completed Tiger Avon with ST170 on TB's
Now restoring 1968 Ginetta G4
And - a series 1 Land Rover - don't ask why!

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 4/8/20 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by shortcircuit
I have just received a VIN from DVLA, 12 days since application. Last page attached and marked "Important - Action Required" requiring confirmation that VIN has been stamped or permanently embossed and signed by a "Dealer/garage"???

How do you get round this if self engraving, which I intend to do?


As the manufacturer, surely you get to do your own signing

I'd get a laser etched plate and weld it on, but I'm picky lol.





Report your local potholes, it actually works!

View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
shortcircuit

posted on 4/8/20 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the right "direction"
View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member
907

posted on 5/8/20 at 04:46 AM Reply With Quote
After stamping and welding in I took mine down to my local trusted MOT garage and for a tenner he wrote out a witness
letter on headed paper.


That was a while back so now he gets to MOT it each year. All the mechanics fuss round it. Its quite nice really.

Paul G

View User's Profile View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Reply


go to top






Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.