Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering Wheel (smaller than 13 inch)
Jhoof2010

posted on 22/5/20 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Steering Wheel (smaller than 13 inch)

Hi all,

I'm looking for a cheap steering wheel to give me some more room in the Westfield, anything smaller than the current flat 13 Inch would help.

D-shaped/deep dish would be ideal I suppose but anything smaller would be great.

Please drop me a message if you have anything or know of anywhere selling new at a reasonable cost.

Cheers,

Jamie

steve m

posted on 22/5/20 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Are you aware, that buy reducing the steering wheel size, by even an inch, will mean you have to exert a lot more force to turn the steering wheel ?

I had to go the other way, I had a 13" wheel, and it was fine, until I broke my right arm, I could not drive the 7 for more than a couple of miles with out sever pain
Yet when I went to 14" the car was driveable once more, and no pain

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Jhoof2010

posted on 22/5/20 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

No i hadn't considered that to be honest, going bigger is not an option with the current set up, I haven't actually been able to drive the car at all yet!

Stripped the seats out and fabricated a new low profile seat this week to enable me to fit in for the first time.

Now looking to solve the issue of the steering wheel on my lap.. Will take your point on board, thanks for the heads up, maybe a dished D shape 13" will give me enough room without reducing the size. Or I could try some spacers I suppose first.. anyone got any going spare!?

JimSpencer

posted on 22/5/20 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Daft question.. but I'm good at daft questions..

Is there not the option on a Westfield to adjust the steering column top mount?

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/5/20 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
not just use a flat bottom wheel? or lower the seat... if it's only you who drives it you could just remove the seat runners and bolt it straight onto the floor.

[Edited on 22/5/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jhoof2010

posted on 22/5/20 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer
Hi

Thanks Jim,

Will have a look at the top mount this weekend and see if it can be done.

Jhoof2010

posted on 22/5/20 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
not just use a flat bottom wheel? or lower the seat... if it's only you who drives it you could just remove the seat runners and bolt it straight onto the floor.

Seat is already fixed to the floor yes, had to do that for me to fit into it, not sure if the flat bottom wheel will give me enough space but worth a try if I can find a cheap one.

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/5/20 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I got one for my old landrover when I fitted modern car seats which raised me up too close to even the smaller round wheel I had, it made a huge difference and was just as easy to drive with. This is it here -

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wowblaauw

posted on 30/5/20 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I have a spare RMD 280mm flat bottom wheel. Let me know if you want it - £25 plus the ship.

Cheers

Craig

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming...
Damn, What a ride!!"

Jhoof2010

posted on 1/6/20 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jhoof2010
quote:
Originally posted by JimSpencer
Hi

Thanks Jim,

Will have a look at the top mount this weekend and see if it can be done.

*Update: Steering column has already been raised as high as possible by previous owner.

Mr Whippy

posted on 1/6/20 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
well tbh as high as possible is when it starts to come out the top of the scuttle what's the upper column mounting bracket like? a photo would be good

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.