Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Are you getting old....
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/6/20 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Blimey lots of eye opening stories there thank goodness so many actually did go to the doctors! Blood pressure is a real sneaky one, it's like your cars brakes going bad slowly over time and you only notice when you drive someones else's and smack you head off the steering wheel...

The reason I went to the doctors in the first place was there was some blood in my urine which gave me a fright, a big fright as first thing pops into my head is prostate cancer however it does not seem to be that at all and basically my blood pressure had reached a tipping point where my kidneys could not prevent blood entering my urine or so I have been told. That aspect has completely gone now my blood pressure is a lot lower and even when I got home the next day it was no where near the 185/120 at the hospital. If anything is going to raise your blood pressure it's being in a hospital being poked with needles

I'm a lot happier now and although my BP is still high I can see in my charts its coming down everyday, as is my weight. I'm taking 5mg Amlodipine once a day for 30 days (so far), for a tiny pill it's doing quite a bit . Here's my spreadsheet I knocked together to track my progress which I'll take to the doctors on Thursday in case just going there raises it!

The top line is an average of the 3 tests below btw

Cheers

[Edited on 15/6/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 16/6/20 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I didn't mention in my post about prostate cancer and me - Ipswich Hospital Oncology have been brilliant, in conjunction with Macmillan Cancer Support. I went to a Macmillans presentation when this all started, with some people coming in from other regions; their experience was nowhere near as good as mine, to the point where the Ipswich Macmillan nurses were taking those people aside and helping them to fill in forms for all the benefits they didn't know they could have.

Fandango

posted on 20/6/20 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I was, at the age of 57, having sporadic chest pains when doing anything strenuous.

Having done some online research, I kind of knew it was angina, but it took me a month or so to finally pick up the courage, and go to A+E.

This was my birthday, as I had the day off work anyway, 5th March.

After four postponed surgeries due to Covid 19 and other factors, visits to four different hospitals, I had triple heart bypass on 18th May.

Five weeks later feeling better all the time, brisk walking about 4 miles a day. I can`t drive my track car yet, but hopeful for an outing later this year.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

UncleFista

posted on 20/6/20 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Cheap smart watches are pretty accurate nowadays with their blood pressure monitoring. I've checked mine with the one in the Doctors and it seems to be bang on. Quite handy as it charts my blood pressure through the day along with blood/oxygen and heart rate. I just wish it possible to check my blood sugar the same way (I'm T1 diabetic).

I wouldn't treat the measurements as gospel, but better than carrying a machine around

Mine is a cheap chinese analogue watch with a tiny screen that connects to my phone through bluetooth.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

trextr7monkey

posted on 20/6/20 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting thread I will endorse not putting off a visit to the GP if things don’t feel right.
About 5? years ago mid 50s I started to put on a bit of weight. Climbing stairs was hard work and I felt lethargic. It was OK though as I worked with 2 blokes in their 70s and that’s what they were like. I was just getting old !!
Other strange things- temperature regulation was out the window - U could spend an afternoon in the sauna watching people come and go. Yet on sunny days if the air con was on in the car I could get white fingers.
My wife who was a GP said there was definitely something wrong but I was too busy to go and see about it. Eventually she took a blood sample and sent it in to the lab. That evening I got a call saying I should go to hospital urgently. Turns out my thyroid had packed up completely. Daily tablets for ever more, weight came off feel much better and younger!! It could have been sorted much quicker, the doctor at hospital found it hard to believe that I had held a job down while in such a state of ill health!!
Hope this saga helps some one to decide to go and get sorted out!
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Fandango

posted on 21/6/20 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is definately a bloke thing; to pretend nothing is really wrong. Translated to Australian "She`ll be right mate".

My wife gave me a very hard time, as I had kept my chest pains from her for about a month, before coming clean.

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." Hunter S Thompson

Slimy38

posted on 21/6/20 at 10:04 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, definitely an interesting and thought provoking post. I remember getting an invite letter for a 'health MOT' when I turned 40.... that was 6 years ago and I've still not done it!!

I can't really say that I feel unhealthy, but I'm definitely not as fit as I could be. But losing my uncle recently and now my mum being diagnosed with cancer (operable thankfully), I think it's about time I get a review.

David Jenkins

posted on 21/6/20 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Yep, definitely an interesting and thought provoking post. I remember getting an invite letter for a 'health MOT' when I turned 40.... that was 6 years ago and I've still not done it!!

I can't really say that I feel unhealthy, but I'm definitely not as fit as I could be. But losing my uncle recently and now my mum being diagnosed with cancer (operable thankfully), I think it's about time I get a review.

The trouble with something like prostate cancer is that the disease will will be well established by the time you notice the symptoms...

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8600
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 9/8/20 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
So Mr Whippy how how's the heart going? Had the graph kept coming down?

I'm probably going on a bit but I want to bang the drum a bit on prostate cancer and cancer in general. I had ZERO symptoms and was just at stage three when they removed it. A few more weeks and my prognosis would have been a LOT worse.

My dad had a site on his face which didn't heal, he didn't go to the doctor for a year. Turns out it was cancer. Ate half his face, spread to lungs and kidneys. Amazingly an experimental treatment has saved him (so far). Treatment funding is only temporary, not looking forward to when it ends. He had a second mark, went to doctors after a could of weeks. It was also cancerous, was removed under local anesthetic and that's the end of it. If only he'd not waited.

BenB

posted on 9/8/20 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fandango
I think it is definately a bloke thing; to pretend nothing is really wrong. Translated to Australian "She`ll be right mate".

My wife gave me a very hard time, as I had kept my chest pains from her for about a month, before coming clean.

It's definitely a bloke thing. As is pretending you're invincible. I'm terrible about looking after my health and seeing my own doc (usually my wife has to force me). And I'm a GP Thankfully to date only horrendous blood pressure which is a work in progress.

Mr Whippy

posted on 9/8/20 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Reading through the posts there are some real harrowing stories, wow.

My BP is well under control now and virtually normal though the doctor said I had high cholesterol so have switched to a very healthy diet of fish, shell fish, masses of veg, rice & chicken so I expect that will sort itself out soon enough. Feeling so much better and it turns out that there were in fact a lot of symptoms I'd not picked up on or even recognised as such due to it being such a slow process. Really glad I did go to the doctors in the first place as I think it would have ended up badly very badly...

As for everyone still recovering I wish all the best.

Cheers

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.