Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Current leak in flasher relay
scudderfish

posted on 22/6/20 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Current leak in flasher relay

Chasing a battery drain I found my immobiliser was a 5ma draw, but my flasher relay was also leaking about 5ma. I pulled it out, reaseated it and the drain went away. Any ideas as to why? It's a bog standard Ford 3 pin one that's at least 10 years old.

Regards,
Dave

nick205

posted on 22/6/20 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Removing and reseating it may have scraped any corrosion/dirt off the contacts. Not sure whay corroded contacts would lead to current drain though, they usually just stop things working correctly and cleaning them restores working operation to the component/circuit.

Did you manage to sort the immobiliser current drain issue?

Deckman001

posted on 22/6/20 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'd replace it, I bought a new relay for my indicators as I had fitted some LED side repeaters and the original relay didn't like the LED's so flashed twice as fast, the new relay only cost about £4 so it was £4 very well spent for me.

Jason

scudderfish

posted on 22/6/20 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, already ordered a new one. I guess this is a question to answer my curiosity as to what's going on
rusty nuts

posted on 22/6/20 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra hazard switches suffer if they get damp, the flasher unit may have been getting a feed even with the ignition off? Worth giving the hazard switch a squirt of contact cleaner and perhaps some WD40. I have to give mine an occasional squirt and at least one has nearly set fire to the wiring loom

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.