Corner weight scales

Anyone have a set they would sell, longacre, str or intercomp preferably

I'm unhappy cos I eat and I eat cos I'm unhappy

JimSpencer

posted on 4/7/20 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

Can't help you exactly..
But there's a good few people, me included, using these:-

The Bay of E > 'Postal Scales 200kg' - buy 4 of them for circa £120.

Mine are consistent to within 0.5kg (using a test weight of me..) across the 4.
Seems to be very similar to what other people find.

I found that making some timber platforms that sit next to the scales so I can roll the car back and forth helps too - for these or the pukka stuff.

HTH

Yazza54

posted on 4/7/20 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, I have some and I stuck my car on a friend's intercomp ones and it was miles out, and I no longer trust the cheapo ones

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 5/7/20 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
Did you try using yours in the same position as the professional ones? To do this properly you need a perfectly level surface. Garages are supposed to have a slope to the garage door.

If you put a control weight across the scales (when the scales are in the same position) and they read the same the problem isn't the scales.

However, for the control weight I'd have three, one s little below expected weight, one around and one a little above. You can then plot of the scales are linear.

(A long time ago I bought 8 bathroom analogue scales to do something similar, figuring none were accurate my plan was to work out not the weight, but the defection from each other and minimise that. Still not done it)

Yazza54

posted on 5/7/20 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
No it wasn't done in the same environment, but on the basis I corner weight for equal front and they were perfect in my garage and 25kg out across the front on the proper scales, and the car is only 470kg so it's a fair chunk of the total weight, I now have no faith in them.

I wasn't expecting perfection, but to simulate that kind of weight shift I'd need to turn a pushrod at least 2 turns, I'm fairly confident it wasn't the floor that put it that far out.

I'm happy enough investing in a proper set it's just the dreaded vat that kills it on a new set.

[Edited on 5/7/20 by Yazza54]

Deckman001

posted on 5/7/20 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just a thought, there are weigh bridges in council tip venues, you might be able to 'trailer' your car there and get them both weighed, then remove your car and do it again? or if they like you, they might let you drive your car onto their scales rather than a long winded on off on off.

Jason

Yazza54

posted on 5/7/20 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
What would that achieve?

I'm not concerned with the total weight of the car, I already know that's where it needs to be

MikeR
Contributor

Posts 8599
Registered 25/5/02
Location Hinckley

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Slowcost since 2000, speeduino since 2020, Caterha

posted on 5/7/20 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yazza54
No it wasn't done in the same environment, but on the basis I corner weight for equal front and they were perfect in my garage and 25kg out across the front on the proper scales, and the car is only 470kg so it's a fair chunk of the total weight, I now have no faith in them.

I wasn't expecting perfection, but to simulate that kind of weight shift I'd need to turn a pushrod at least 2 turns, I'm fairly confident it wasn't the floor that put it that far out.

I'm happy enough investing in a proper set it's just the dreaded vat that kills it on a new set.

I'm curious how much it would take to change the weight by 25kg. I've never done it so don't actually know but can't imagine it would be a lot. Now you've had your car setup, i'm curious what your scales would say if you checked them and if you reversed the car and checked again. It would prove if the scales had an issue or if it was related to something else.

Yazza54

posted on 5/7/20 at 07:47 PM Reply With Quote
I always set the car up myself, I just borrowed a friend's intercomp ones hoping they would be somewhere near close to what I achieved at home with the cheapo postal scales and they were nowhere near. Previously I was running with a team so used theirs - this is the first time I used the cheapo ones, and it's doubtful I'll be using them again.

It's a substantial difference to be 25kg out on the front of my car, I have a good feel for this given how many times I've done it.

Appreciate people are just trying to help but can we stick to the reason I posted on the first place...if anyone has any proper corner scales for sale let me know

Yazza54

posted on 8/7/20 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Got some now

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.