Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any one used Chips away, for bodywork?
steve m

posted on 15/7/20 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Any one used Chips away, for bodywork?

Hi all

Long story cut very short, I bought a 17 plate Mondeo last oct, that had a small dent in the osr wing, and osr door, both done at the same time, it was PROMISED to of been sorted, by the garage, but sadly there promises are like Boris Johnsons, so full of sh*t*

So im thinking of having the damage done by something like the Chipsaway franchise, and the question is, has any one used this company or the like ? and what is your impression, as in was the job satisfactory and price etc ?

I could do the damage myself, but the car is metallic, and my metallic spraying is awful, and I just don't want too !!

But my plan is to get it sorted, and with a receipt, then sue the garage for the amount, along with the 56 emails that have been sent, along with a few of theres promising to get the damage sorted, along with the text messages from the garage "body work person"

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

briarswood57

posted on 15/7/20 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
I have used Chipsway (GLASGOW franchise) earlier this year to repair some bumper damage (front and back) on my company car before it went back to the lease company. I have to say I was massively impressed - the car looked great, you genuinely couldn’t tell what has been repaired.

Certainly wouldn’t hesitate to use them again.

jelly head

posted on 15/7/20 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Had a bumper scuff done by them a few years back and while the repair was alright, you could see the paint wasn't quite the same when up close, it looked flatter, but it was black metalic which is probably one of the harder colours to match.

Had another scuff on a different car done by a local independent and the colour match on that was crap, stood out a mile.

Deckman001

posted on 15/7/20 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

I'll be following this post as my company lease car needs a stone chip dent repaired on the bonnet, thankfully the dent took some of the impact out of the big stone that then hit my windscreen and chipped that too

Jason

steve m

posted on 15/7/20 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
What type of price are we talking about to have two bumpers "repaired"
just so ive got an idea

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

perksy

posted on 15/7/20 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
The concern I'd have is the longevity of the repair
I've seen filler in smart repairs crack after 6 months and paint matches that aren't very good up close

As ever I guess it depends on who does the job and the quality of their work

Garage forecourts like it as its much cheaper that the pro bodyshop

A friend had a big chip in the middle of the bonnet on his Merc and the local Chipsaway wanted the same price as a local bodyshop (£300)
It went to the bodyshop...

[Edited on 15/7/20 by perksy]

PorkChop

posted on 15/7/20 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
If the paint's good, why not get a PDR guy to do it? No worrying about a paint match then and there's a good chance that they'll get it to be pretty much invisible.
briarswood57

posted on 15/7/20 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi steve, if I recall for the two bumpers it was north of £700.00. That said, the scope of the repairs was:

Front bumper massive graze where the wife hit a parked car (that was my fault because I was doing the overdue timing belt on her car so she had to use mine)
Very deep gouges on the bottom of the front bumper where I hit a rock / bollard in a field at the Silverstone classic (I can blame the kids for that as they were fighting in the back)
Cracking and another deep gouge out of the back bumper when I hit another bollard in a car park (yes I know the car had parking sensors so no need for it to be pointed out again thanks. :-)))

For the money I probably could have got the same at an independent body shop but this was a 1.5 day turnaround the weekend before I handed the car back. Granted it does sound expensive but I’ll have a look and see if I can find some pictures to put it in context. If I had put it into the BMW dealer I would doubtless have been looking at two new bumpers.

The other thing to note - mine was white so no issues with colour matching but I did have a look round and there were a couple of fairly pricey metallic cars getting repaired.

steve m

posted on 15/7/20 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop
If the paint's good, why not get a PDR guy to do it? No worrying about a paint match then and there's a good chance that they'll get it to be pretty much invisible.

Whats a PDR ?? the paint work is ok, but could do with a bit of tlc

steve

gaz_gaz

posted on 16/7/20 at 05:26 AM Reply With Quote
Steve.

I used chipsaway on Manor Royal last year to repair a dent in a door that happened while my car was being serviced.
The dent was in a tricky place to get to and very close to an edge so needed filling and painting as they couldn't get behind it for paintless dent removal.
The quality of work was good, Dropped the car off at 8am and it was ready to go by 4pm. Bit pricey at £300 but BMW paid so i didn't mind.

I've used another guy recently who does everything mobile. He came to my house and took a horrid dent out of a quarter panel for me on a Corsa i had for sale. The previous owner has gouged the rear quarter down a fallen tree. He pushed the bent out and painted the panel and left a very nice repair.
I'd probably recommend him over the manor royal chipsaway. Drop me a message if you want his number.

Cheers

Gary

[Edited on 16/7/20 by gaz_gaz]

[Edited on 16/7/20 by gaz_gaz]

PorkChop

posted on 16/7/20 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
quote:
Originally posted by PorkChop

Whats a PDR ?? the paint work is ok, but could do with a bit of tlc

steve

Paintless dent removal.

sdh2903

posted on 16/7/20 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Trouble with chipsaway they are all franchises owned and operated by different people/companies so quality can vary from one to another. You really need some local reccomendations.

As above id try a PDR company first ive had a few dents and scuffs sorted by one, amazing what they can get out.

steve m

posted on 28/7/20 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Just to say, that the mobile Guy that Gaz Gaz recommended to me, in the West sussex area, sorted my rear wing damage today, and it looks superb!!

so good though, the rest of the car looks poor

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.