Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emissions requirements help
Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/20 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Emissions requirements help

Hi,

My donor on the ford vin plate states, exhaust emission 7 and online vin checker states 15-04 however I cannot find reference to what these are...

Reason I ask is the donor, a Sierra has a date of first registration 24-08-1992 and although the Haynes manual does show the same kind of carb for the 1.6 pinto used may or may not have supplied the suspiciously shinny Webber 2V carb the car is sporting as it is fitted with a manual choke and no vacuum valve for the secondary throttle unlike shown in the manual.

So really I'm trying to tie down exactly what the emission requirements are for the IVA and whether to go for a Q plate or try to keep the donors reg.

Any help would be great thanks.

[Edited on 15/8/20 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 15/8/20 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Only 2 emission levels, with and without cat for IVA. You'll have to meet the pre/non-cat test levels. CO <3.5%, HC <1200ppm but you'll have to prove the engine age.

Once you're registered then come MOT it'll be tested to the levels at IVA (stated on v5) if either a new or age-related reg' or if a Q then it's visible smoke test only irrespective of what it was at IVA

[Edited on 15/8/20 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/20 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers ok that does clear it up a bit. Well the engine age is June 1992 and the engine number matches the donor V5 which is currently Sorned. So sounds like just the pre/non-cat test levels then. Cool fortunately this donor had only a genuine 13.5k miles on it! I have so much paperwork for it...
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 15/8/20 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
So really I'm trying to tie down exactly what the emission requirements are for the IVA and whether to go for a Q plate or try to keep the donors reg.

VOSA and the DVLA are 2 separate things with different rules...

VOSA only care about the engine age - pre-Aug 1995 can use a Non-CAT test if you can prove the engine age
(Aug 92 - Aug 95 gets the non-cat test if there is no "exact match in the analyser database or the In-Service Emissions Book?" and since its not a sierra you won't match....)

page 39 in the latest manual: - follow the flow charts...
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/738819/individual-vehicle-approval-inspection-manual-p assenger-vehicles.pdf

look up the first 2 letters of your engine number here to get its age (year and month)
https://www.burtonpower.com/tuning-guides/tuning-guide-pages/ford-manufacture-dates.html
some IVA inspectors have been known to accept the burtons cataloge as proof

the DVLA's rules about what plate you get has nothing to do with emissions (the new v5 you get should just state the emissions limit as whatever test was done at the IVA) - unless you go for a Q plate then the current MOT rules would allow visual smoke tests (but as long are your a non-CAT test who cares )

a Q plate won't get you out of needing to pass the IVA emissions, firstly it won't have a plate yet and secondly because the IVA rules are different from the MOT rules

[Edited on 15/8/2020 by mcerd1]

-

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 15/8/20 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
I thought you could still get a “new” registration if all but one part was new, and that part was reconditioned to “as new”. Surely if you use a pre-‘94 engine, and get it reconditioned, you’d still qualify for new plate but with earlier emissions levels?

Anyone gone through IVA and DVSA registration recently with same setup that can confirm??

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Only 2 emission levels, with and without cat for IVA. You'll have to meet the pre/non-cat test levels. CO <3.5%, HC <1200ppm but you'll have to prove the engine age.

Once you're registered then come MOT it'll be tested to the levels at IVA (stated on v5) if either a new or age-related reg' or if a Q then it's visible smoke test only irrespective of what it was at IVA

[Edited on 15/8/20 by adithorp]

[Edited on 15/8/20 by Charlie_Zetec]

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

Mr Whippy

posted on 15/8/20 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Ah right I get you... Cheers for clearing that up

Yeah I confirmed the engine age through Burton power plus it ties perfectly with the V5 so all that seems good. Another weight off my shoulders.

Thanks

mcerd1

posted on 15/8/20 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
My Granada donor's also an all numbers matching genuine original car - so I'll be doing the exact same as you (if I ever get any free time that is )

it came from my next door neighbor - I think I even had a few lifts from them in it (there kids were at school with me)
Only mine is not quite as low mileage as yours they had it from 3 years old until it was so rotten its wasn't worth fixing with a 151K on it
but after sitting years of use (running on tractor oil for most part) and then at least 6 years sitting in a field all it took to get it running was a battery - you really have to love a pinto

[Edited on 15/8/2020 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.